NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Joe

Default Question about collecting graded cards - Newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and just recently rejoined the baseball collecting world after a 15 year break. Obviously a lot of things have changed since my experience with collecting, probably the most being involvement of the grading companies.

So hoping I get some some comments around this process to bring me up to speed.

1. Are there preferred grading companies? I know this is open for opinion, but should I stick to a top 2-3 companies that seem to be the most popular / consistant?

2. If I am collecting a graded set (say the T206 or 52 Topps set) - is it important to collect the grades from the same grading company?

3. Any terms I should be familiar with? I was reading something about the "flip", I assume that is the tag line at the top with name, team, grade, etc?

4. Any other information you guys would share regarding the grading process / experiences?

Many Thanks!
Joe
Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Patrick N.

Default Hang out

1. PSA, SGC, and BGS (beckett but NOT Bccg) are all considered reputable, do not buy from other co.'s...Many prefer Beckett for modern, PSA or SGC for vintage.

2. I don't know. Make sure you like the "holder" (plastic case) that your cards will live in--many like SGCs black border as it presents well. I would say if you sell eventually it might be better to have from the same co. For pure resale purposes I think most agree that PSA still brings in more with the others close but still a bit lower.

3. Terms, there are lots of them...make sure that with psa there are qualifiers (ex: o/c) and this generally knocks value down 2 grades...So a PSA 8 oc = PSA 6.

4. Hang out on PSAs website for a while before you start sending cards in to get graded.

5. My own 2 cents = It is VERY VERY IMPORTANT as a newbie to not get carried away with the numbers on the flip, etc. Evaluate each card in the holder before you buy. There are very weak 6s and very strong 6s, etc. so "buy the card not the holder" as the expression goes. Good luck.

Last edited by mintacular; 12-11-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
5. My own 2 cents = It is VERY VERY IMPORTANT as a newbie to not get carried away with the numbers on the flip, etc. Evaluate each card in the holder before you buy. There are very weak 6s and very strong 6s, etc. so "buy the card not the holder" as the expression goes. Good luck.
+1
Old 12-11-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm in a similar position to yourself -- collected contemporary baseball cards extensively while growing up in the 80s and early 90s, and within the last 6 months have gotten back into collecting, now focusing on vintage. Welcome back to the field, and to the board -- despite the overall economy, it's a fine time to be collecting I feel.

Beckett has a few different grading services, so just want to clarify. BGS is for modern cards, BVG is for vintage cards. They're both considered fine, although BVG is sometimes considered to be the "step-child" among vintage collecting behind PSA and SGC (although there are many here who have stated that they consider BVG's gradings very reliable and conservative). What you need to avoid is BCCG - their numeric scale is way off (they give a 6 for a good, or something like that) and I don't consider them an option at all.

One benefit to sticking to one grading company when collecting a set is for the registry. Both PSA and SGC have online set registries where you can list your cards, and they compute your collection's rank, factoring in grade as well as the card's "relative value" (eg, a HOFer will carry more weight than a commoner). For some, climbing to the top of the registry for a particular set is paramount. For me, it's one means of organizing my set and also for sport. I also like how PSA created listings of "virtual sets", eg HOF NY Yankees.

Also, to submit to PSA you either need to pay to become a Collectors Club member, or you need to find a PSA-certified dealer and submit the cards through them. For SGC, there's no membership nor dealer program -- so there's no threshhold. Also keep an eye out for each of their monthly specials, as they can entail very significant savings, or bulk discounts.

And absolutely -- buy the card, not the holder. There's variation within each grade, whether deliberate or accidental, among any TPG (third-party grader), so don't simply buy a card due to the grade but also have to factor in the visual appeal.

Best of luck!
--S

Last edited by shaunsteig; 12-11-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:49 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

GAI is another reputable grading company, but in general, do not send cards there for grading. Cards encased with GAI tend to sell at a discount. In general, with GAI, you can expect the cards to be authentic, but they may not crossover to another grading company at the same grade. For example, a card graded at GAI 5 (Excellent) may only be SGC 50/4 (VG-EX). Again, as others have said, buy the card, not the holder. The holder only authenticates the card for you, so you know it's not a reprint and have a general guideline about the grade.

Some terms, "slab" is the card with the flip encased in the holder. "Crossover" is when you take the slab for one TPG (third party grader) and try to send it to another TPG for the same grade (or higher). Please note that crossovers aren't even close to be guaranteed to happen, and there are all kinds of conspiracy theories about this. That is, a card with a PSA4 (VG-EX) flip will not necessary be graded at SGC with the same 50/4 (VG-EX) grade. It can often get a lower grade, and vice versa. Another term is "crack out." This is when collectors break the card out of the slab, and then send it to a TPG. This is done in hopes that the card will receive the same or better grade from the TPG (or the other TPG in a crossover), and the graders won't be "contaminated" by seeing the current grade in the slab. You should get familiar with the TPG's. Some say PSA is stricter with centering. Many others prefer SGC for prewar cards and say that PSA is too lenient with other qualities in the card. PSA has a strong registry, where set collectors compete for the best set, etc. Good luck, and happy collecting. I was the same way, where I collected the 80s cards too and recently got back in the hobby. A lot of fun the second time around.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

DO NOT buy PSA graded cards off Craigslist!!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...list+fakes+PSA

These also show on eBay from time to time too....
Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Bill Potter

I am also new to the hobby and really enjoying it, I "branched out" to cards after thirty years of collecting comics.

I go against the grain in both hobbies in that I do not like graded and slabbed cards nor comics. I can tell by looking what shape a card is in and the slab just gets in my way. I believe a collection looks better in toploaders.
Just my opinion.
Wp
Old 12-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Barry Sloate

First Slim, welcome to the board. Your point is part of one of the biggest controversies in the hobby- those who like slabbed and those who like raw. And the heated debates we have about it get as bad as a political fight. I see good and bad points in both, so it's kind of a mixed bag for me. But be sure there are plenty of other raw collectors, on this board and in the hobby in general.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-11-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
First Slim, welcome to the board. Your point is part of one of the biggest controversies in the hobby- those who like slabbed and those who like raw. And the heated debates we have about it get as bad as a political fight. I see good and bad points in both, so it's kind of a mixed bag for me. But be sure there are plenty of other raw collectors, on this board and in the hobby in general.
My apologies, I didn't realize it was a hot topic issue.
Thank U for the welcome, sir.
Wp
Old 12-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
Someone should have new members take a test before joining
Old 12-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
Thank U for the welcome, sir.
Wp
No need to apologize. I only meant that whenever a thread comes up pitting those who love raw against those who love slabbed, it always gets heated. But you can certainly bring it up if you want to.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

let me simply add a resounding "welcome aboard'!!!!

all the best,
barry
Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default welcome and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrandon1977 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and just recently rejoined the baseball collecting world after a 15 year break. Obviously a lot of things have changed since my experience with collecting, probably the most being involvement of the grading companies.

So hoping I get some some comments around this process to bring me up to speed.

1. Are there preferred grading companies? I know this is open for opinion, but should I stick to a top 2-3 companies that seem to be the most popular / consistant?

2. If I am collecting a graded set (say the T206 or 52 Topps set) - is it important to collect the grades from the same grading company?

3. Any terms I should be familiar with? I was reading something about the "flip", I assume that is the tag line at the top with name, team, grade, etc?

4. Any other information you guys would share regarding the grading process / experiences?

Many Thanks!
Joe

Hi Joe
Welcome aboard our forum. As you and the other new members participate more it will become ya'lls board too. Overall we have a great community of very giving and compassionate (and passionate) collectors.

1. I think SGC, BVG and PSA are all decent companies and do a good job. Personally, I don't collect grading companies slabs I collect cards, so whatever slab (or raw) a card is in, doesn't make a lot of difference to me, though I do trust SGC and Beckett cards more, at the end of the day my main thing isn't the slab. Someone above said GAI is reputable. Well, they were reputable a long time ago, for a short period, but never got their act together. Their holdered cards bring far less than the other 3 mainstream companies cards. I would stay away from them until you know the nuances to look for. Many GAI cards are tainted (altered) and in their holders. If you send cards into be graded stick with the 3 companies mentioned. Personally, I like SGC and Beckett but many on this board like PSA too....

2. Personally, I collect cards. For me, and this is personal to each of us in what makes us happy, I don't care if I buy xyz card companies graded card. I buy the card. After I inspect it, in a slab or not, then I make a decision on if I want to buy it. I never make a decision on a card based on a grading company slab, I base it on the card. So any company or raw doesn't matter to me. That being said I do look at certain grading companies holder-ed cards more than others, before buying.

3. Read the board for some time and you will come up with the terminology.....flips, flipping, T-B (top to bottom), S-S (side to side), etc....are all terms you will commonly see on this board and in the hobby.

4. Lastly, and this is the most important thing of all imo. Collect what you enjoy. Don't collect based on what others think or enjoy for themselves.

take care and happy collecting
LL
Old 12-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Welcome aboard Joe. You cant go wrong with PSA or SGC. I personally like how my T206s look with the black matting of SGC holders. Good luck with your collection.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:49 PM

For vintage cards I would go with PSA or SGC. Personally, I no longer consider GAI to be reputable and have not for a long time (though they were when they started). That is only my opinion, but you can easily see it reflected in the prices GAI graded cards get. I would imagine most cards in their holders are authentic, but you would probably find that many are over-graded or altered if you tried to cross them to PSA or SGC. That is not to say there aren't perfectly legit, unaltered cards still in their holders. It is just that the numbers are dwindling.
JimB
Old 12-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Joe,

Welcome to the board. No need for me to repeat the advice previously given.

Good luck building your collection!