NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 AM

Default 1911 Western Playground

I was looking through Mastro's new auction today and noticed that they have two groups of Western Playground cards up for sale. In the past 7-8 years that I have collected pre-war cards, I had yet to see any of these come up for sale publicly. That really makes me wonder how difficult these cards really are!

The basic information that I gathered from the Old Cardboard website is that the cards were of players from the PCL league and that there are 40 to the set.

I would love to learn a little more about the set from our collectors here on the board. Also, I know that there was an article a while back about this set, but let's have some fun and discuss these cards here on the board.

Here is a pic of one of the cards from the Old Cardboard Website:
13.jpg
Old 07-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few thoughts

Before this offering there were about 120 total known in the hobby. There have been a few that were publicly for sale in the last 10-12 yrs. They have gone from about 3500 to 5k each. As far as I know there is only 1 complete set and another collector is less than a handful away. Also, if you want to add rarity on top of rarity there is a 2nd cardstock version, which is thinner than the regular ones. It's a great looking set and a type collectors dream card.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ph998miller2.jpg (78.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Jon Canfield

Leon - are these (meaning the ones in Legendary) from your find?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Leon - are these (meaning the ones in Legendary) from your find?
Those are not from the "find" I had....
Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I would love to pick up the Castleton in the Mastro/Legendary grouping, but I have a feeling the final price will be a little out of my reach. Regardless, they are very funky looking cards, I especially like Harkness's bat above that looks like a giant limp hot dog.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM

Wow, sounds like everyone has quickly kissed and made up with Legendary, or is this just a case of "dancing with the devil" to get cards you need. I could have sworn from the posts on this board that the sentiment about members bidding in future Legendary Auctions was tenuous at best.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:42 AM

Default Hold On.....

Let's please not make this a legendary/mastro bashing thread! I only brought up the auction because these rare cards were in it. Keep the discussion about cards today.

Jeff