NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-24-2024, 02:12 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Could Caitlyn Clark compete with D1 men?

I am very late to the Caitlyn Clark story but now that I am paying attention... wow! If a single player can prop up a league/WNBA, she may have enough "it" to bring that league to the same level of fandom as she has for college hoops.

It go me wondering - could she be a competitive player on a D1 men's team? Put another way, I she at least better and more talented than the worst player on the worst NCAA tournament team?

Again, I am very late to appreciate her greatness and am looking forward to watching her from this point on - but, could she make a mean's squad?

With her shooting range, I would think it's not impossible even with her major size and weight/strength disadvantage.

Thoughts??
Old 03-24-2024, 02:32 PM
Mike Henry

I'm going to guess the answer is no. The size, strength, and speed gap would be significant, and there'd be a learning curve as she adjusted to shooting a full-size basketball.

Last edited by gunboat82; 03-24-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:13 PM
Todd Jenkins

Over full sized men!

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22
Old 03-24-2024, 09:31 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Not even against high school men
Old 03-24-2024, 10:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

It takes nothing at all away from her, but not a chance in the world. It's as much of a fantasy as the notion that Conor McGregor had a chance against Floyd Mayweather. She's not even a very good defender against women. She couldn't possibly cover a man.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:10 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Of course not.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:14 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Not a shot in hades, probably not even the local JV team.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 03-24-2024, 10:47 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Serena Williams is the greatest tennis player of all time and lost to a tier 2 unranked college male player. Tennis is one that in theory would be even closer in skill male/female than basketball. Caitlyn is a great player but on a male D1 team would be very ugly and dangerous for her. Size and Strength would be way too much.

Last edited by maniac_73; 03-24-2024 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:08 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Not even against high school men
This is the correct answer unquestionably.

It also is no knock on her, it is just genetics

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:23 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

She could play in men’s lower college classifications. She can shoot 3’s with the best men. D1, no. D2, D3 absolutely IMO.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:27 AM

I would think more than a few people had similar opinions about Muggsy Bogues, with his 5 foot 3 and 130 pound frame (Caitlin Clark is listed at six feet and 150 pounds).

If you're a world class athlete, there's a spot for you on a team. Do I think Caitlin Clark has the talent of Muggsy Bogues? No, but I think she should be discussed in terms of her talent and not her size. Players smaller than her have had success in the NBA but they had different skill sets and were better players.

Last edited by packs; 03-25-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Serena Williams is the greatest tennis player of all time and lost to a tier 2 unranked college male player. Tennis is one that in theory would be even closer in skill male/female than basketball. Caitlyn is a great player but on a male D1 team would be very ugly and dangerous for her. Size and Strength would be way too much.
This is also not true. The Williams sisters both played one single game each against Karsten Braasch, who was ranked 203rd in the world at the time. They didn't play a complete set and he wasn't an unranked Tier 2 college player.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs in '73. In straight matches if my memory serves me correctly.
As far as Caitlyn going up against NBA men, she wouldn't stand a chance. It's not a knock on her, just a fact.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:57 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
This is the correct answer unquestionably.

It also is no knock on her, it is just genetics
Seriously? I just find it hard to imagine that she isn't better than the worst D! men's player...
Old 03-25-2024, 12:12 PM

I remember when everyone was getting on Brian Scalabrine's case for being the worst player in the NBA. He got challenged by a player on Syracuse to a game of one on one and absolutely torched him.

Even the worst player at an elite level is ridiculously good.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:55 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I remember when everyone was getting on Brian Scalabrine's case for being the worst player in the NBA. He got challenged by a player on Syracuse to a game of one on one and absolutely torched him.

You must be Boston local too... that was a great story! And I have no doubt true at the NBA level.

But my question had the bar much lower - is Caitlyn better than any D1 men's player?

I still haven't taken the time to watch her play yet - looking forward to seeing her in tonight's game.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Yep. Same concept with Caitlyn Clark here. Fantastic women’s NCAA player in her own right. Zero percent chance should would make a single D1 roster, much less play competitively with them.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:35 PM

Well, I don't know. I think she's at least as good as some D1 players on active rosters right now. There are a lot of coaches kids on rosters at this level every year and she is a very talented basketball player. She wouldn't be who she is, or anywhere close to it. But I don't think she'd be lost out there against lower end schools.

I don't think she'd ever compete in the NBA or for a roster spot on legacy programs like Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. but they aren’t the only D1 schools. There are over 300 of them.

Last edited by packs; 03-25-2024 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
Yep. Same concept with Caitlyn Clark here. Fantastic women’s NCAA player in her own right. Zero percent chance should would make a single D1 roster, much less play competitively with them.
Less than zero. She couldn't defend anyone, total non starter.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:07 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Well, I don't know. I think she's at least as good as some D1 players on active rosters right now. There are a lot of coaches kids on rosters at this level every year and she is a very talented basketball player. She wouldn't be who she is, or anywhere close to it. But I don't think she'd be lost out there against lower end schools.

I don't think she'd ever compete in the NBA or for a roster spot on legacy programs like Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. but they aren’t the only D1 schools. There are over 300 of them.
I'm not sure about that; in fact, I doubt it. Bobby Hurley's son played about twenty minutes total spread over 9 games this year for a pretty bad ASU team and he's not even trying out for the team next year. He's a guard and I watched a little of his play--I doubt Caitlyn would score more than once in a game of one-on-one against him, never mind how he could shoot and blow by her when he had the ball.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:17 PM

I'm only saying I could see her on a roster somewhere in Division 1. There's ASU and there's the New Jersey Institute of Technology, which is also Division 1.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:18 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
This is also not true. The Williams sisters both played one single game each against Karsten Braasch, who was ranked 203rd in the world at the time. They didn't play a complete set and he wasn't an unranked Tier 2 college player.
Looks like they each lost a set not just a game.

https://www.tennisnow.com/Blogs/NET-...k-to-Back.aspx
Old 03-25-2024, 03:21 PM

Ah, my mistake. I knew they didn't play a complete match.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:51 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
I'm only saying I could see her on a roster somewhere in Division 1. There's ASU and there's the New Jersey Institute of Technology, which is also Division 1.
Maybe on a roster---maybe, if there was a shortage of players or there was some non-athletic reason to have her there. However, I believe the last player on the bench of last-place Podunk U would give the mediocre Bobby Hurley Jr, a better game of one on one than would Caitlyn.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Are you seriously saying you think she could defend against a Division 1 male player? Have you seen her?

Old 03-25-2024, 04:38 PM

I don't think that would be her specialty, no. Do you not think she's an exceptionally talented basketball player?
Old 03-25-2024, 04:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I don't think that would be her specialty, no. Do you not think she's an exceptionally talented basketball player?
Of course. A phenomenal woman player. That doesn't make her a man. Not a sexist remark in any way, just fact. She doesn't have the strength or speed to play against skilled men at the D1 level. She'd be a huge liability on defense, and would not get open enough on offense to score many points at all.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-25-2024 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:04 PM

I don't disagree. She's not "the one". I don't think she'd be anything if she did make a Division 1 roster as a bench player. But I could see it happening.

Leilani Armenta kicked for Division 1 Jackson State last year. A lot of people might not have thought a woman would score a point in a Division 1 football game either.

Last edited by packs; 03-25-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:47 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
I would think more than a few people had similar opinions about Muggsy Bogues, with his 5 foot 3 and 130 pound frame (Caitlin Clark is listed at six feet and 150 pounds).

If you're a world class athlete, there's a spot for you on a team. Do I think Caitlin Clark has the talent of Muggsy Bogues? No, but I think she should be discussed in terms of her talent and not her size. Players smaller than her have had success in the NBA but they had different skill sets and were better players.
Mugsy was and probably still is much stronger than Catlyn Clark would ever be...again, not a knock at her. Not just apples and oranges, but Adams apples.

Fun to watch though...the Womens' game has improved by leaps and bounds.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-25-2024, 07:07 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Of course. A phenomenal woman player. That doesn't make her a man. Not a sexist remark in any way, just fact. She doesn't have the strength or speed to play against skilled men at the D1 level. She'd be a huge liability on defense, and would not get open enough on offense to score many points at all.
Not playing defense is not as disqualifying as it used to be. As far as I can tell, Trae Young hasn't guarded anyone since he joined the NBA and he's still having a good career.

I remember the USWMT soccer team played a high school team maybe 15 years ago. The HS team was I think a select team for the local MLS team (Chicago Fire Juniors?). That HS team's players would have mostly played Division II. The boys won, but the women were competitive, so I think some of the women could have played NCAA men's soccer.

Clark would need to change her game, but I think she could earn a roster spot and some playing time on a college men's team.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2024, 07:18 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Soccer

The US women’s national soccer team lost an exhibition game to an Under 15 year old boys team representing just the Dallas area 5-2. Quote was they were “ bigger, stronger, faster” .
Old 03-25-2024, 07:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Not playing defense is not as disqualifying as it used to be. As far as I can tell, Trae Young hasn't guarded anyone since he joined the NBA and he's still having a good career.

I remember the USWMT soccer team played a high school team maybe 15 years ago. The HS team was I think a select team for the local MLS team (Chicago Fire Juniors?). That HS team's players would have mostly played Division II. The boys won, but the women were competitive, so I think some of the women could have played NCAA men's soccer.

Clark would need to change her game, but I think she could earn a roster spot and some playing time on a college men's team.

Of course's he's guarding people. If you gave an NBA team a 5-4 advantage on offense at that talent level they would win every game.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
The US women’s national soccer team lost an exhibition game to an Under 15 year old boys team representing just the Dallas area 5-2. Quote was they were “ bigger, stronger, faster” .
This is an apt comparison. Soccer is a contact sport in a way that is analogous, if not similar to basketball, and the USWNT were arguably the best women's soccer team in the world. That they lost badly to a city-wide team of 15 year olds highlights the strength and speed differences between the sexes.

There is less space on a basketball court relative to a soccer pitch, so quickness and leaping ability in basketball is more important than pure straight line speed, and contact takes place more frequently and is harder to shake. These factors probably accentuate the female disadvantage even more in basketball.

I would take the argument further and say that Caitlyn Clark would struggle 1v1 against the starting, varsity boys shooting guard at any American public high school with an enrollment of more than 1500.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
This is an apt comparison. Soccer is a contact sport in a way that is analogous, if not similar to basketball, and the USWNT were arguably the best women's soccer team in the world. That they lost badly to a city-wide team of 15 year olds highlights the strength and speed differences between the sexes.

There is less space on a basketball court relative to a soccer pitch, so quickness and leaping ability in basketball is more important than pure straight line speed, and contact takes place more frequently and is harder to shake. These factors probably accentuate the female disadvantage even more in basketball.

I would take the argument further and say that Caitlyn Clark would struggle 1v1 against the starting, varsity boys shooting guard at any American public high school with an enrollment of more than 1500.
And even then I am guessing those 15 year olds instinctively were less physical in that game than they would have been with their male contemporaries. I played a lot of basketball in the day in countless venues and configurations, and on occasion women would find their way into a game (some were even accomplished players) and no self-respecting guy is going to be rough on a woman in that setting.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-25-2024 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:54 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I'll never understand this obsession with women being a part of men's sports, we fought for 50 years so women could have their own space, title 9 anyone? Women aren't men and men aren't women.
The bigger concern is biological men invading women's spaces now, imho.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-25-2024, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I'll never understand this obsession with women being a part of men's sports, we fought for 50 years so women could have their own space, title 9 anyone? Women aren't men and men aren't women.
Ironic, indeed. Back in the day, no self respecting man would masquerade as a woman to play women's sports. But, alas, these are different times.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
"Girls will be boys and boys will be girls, it's a mixed up mumbled up shook up world."

Old 03-25-2024, 10:45 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
"Girls will be boys and boys will be girls, it's a mixed up mumbled up shook up world."
Excellent Kinks knowledge Mr Spaeth.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-25-2024, 10:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Excellent Kinks knowledge Mr Spaeth.
1972 maybe? It was so outrageous for its time. "Well I'm not dumb but I can't understand why she walked like a woman but talked like a man." LOL and they played it too.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-25-2024 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:33 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Of course's he's guarding people. If you gave an NBA team a 5-4 advantage on offense at that talent level they would win every game.
Ehhhh. He does come down the court with the rest of the team but I have never seen him without help deter an opponent from taking a direct path to the basket. On occasion he will wave his arms a bit, maybe that's what you are thinking of.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:48 AM

He also led the league in turnovers two years in a row. But nobody would say Trae Young isn't a great player. Which is why I agree that a knock on someone's defense isn't a real road block. There are so many other things that can be discussed in place of it.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:11 AM
Al Stein

Quote:

I didn't realize there is an obsession with that. I think here we are just having a goofy conversation about how good Clark is, similar to how people liked to wonder whether the Kentucky basketball teams could have beaten the Sixers.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ehhhh. He does come down the court with the rest of the team but I have never seen him without help deter an opponent from taking a direct path to the basket. On occasion he will wave his arms a bit, maybe that's what you are thinking of.
https://www.si.com/nba/hawks/news/qu...youngs-defense

Comparing a weak defender (conceded, at least so far) to a woman trying to defend a man is not IMO a useful analogy.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-26-2024 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:15 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
And even then I am guessing those 15 year olds instinctively were less physical in that game than they would have been with their male contemporaries. I played a lot of basketball in the day in countless venues and configurations, and on occasion women would find their way into a game (some were even accomplished players) and no self-respecting guy is going to be rough on a woman in that setting.
And vice versa I would think. I don't think you get accolades for putting a hip into a 14 year old boy.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:21 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
https://www.si.com/nba/hawks/news/qu...youngs-defense

Comparing a weak defender (conceded, at least so far) to a woman trying to defend a man is not IMO a useful analogy.
Because, while Trae is small and weak, he's not slow?

Old 03-26-2024, 09:23 AM

I don't know why so much is made of that scrimmage. It wasn't played under any real game condition at all and it was merely a practice for the women's team in anticipation of playing an international friendly, which I'm sure is where the effort went.

This is like suggesting the Yankees loss to the Diablos Rojos on Sunday meant anything.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Because, while Trae is small and weak, he's not slow?

The physical differences between him and other NBA players do not even begin to compare to the relevant physical differences between Clark and any male player. I can't believe we're even having this discussion.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-26-2024 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And vice versa I would think. I don't think you get accolades for putting a hip into a 14 year old boy.

Yeah I am sure the women lost because they toned down their game.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:09 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I can't believe we're even having this discussion.
I can. When human biology conflicts with ideology or what one would like to be true, we know which one gets tossed aside .
Old 03-26-2024, 10:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

There's no way to know for sure. So much of a team sport depends on the team. I do think it would be very challenging.

But, while figuring out a reply, I looked up something.

My college was... Small. I wouldn't think we were D anything.
Our basketball team played Bridgeport while Manute Bol was there. And lost but didn't get blown out.
I was very surprised to learn Bridgeport is D2.

The reason I looked?
I would play occasionally when some guys that played in the parking lot around lunchtime would ask.
My basketball skills can be described as somewhere between "Awful" and "F_ atrocious"
I did not make my HS team when I tried out.
I played one season of rec league, and my stat "line" for 0for I think 2, two fouls committed (One I still disagree with ) and led the league in shots hitting the beams in the low ceiling 2! Why they put the little kids up in the real gym and the high school age kids in the little kid gym downstairs.... anyway, those two shots might have missed anyway, although I was ok from what would now be 3 pt distance.

I was obviously only filling a space until someone got back from class, but oddly, I never felt seriously outclassed.
I found out that bunch of guys was our basketball team - and that we even had a team- when they were talking in the lunch line about playing against Bol.

The game had changed a lot, and my school got absorbed into the CT community college system,

Do I think an excellent female Player might make the roster on a D1 team.
I'm not sure. The right player on the right team with the right coach.... maybe. Theres certainly stuff that they would have to game plan around. And it might not work out. But I don't think I could rule it out completely.