NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Default Is full name autograph more rare?

I noticed from time to time ball players will sign with their full name like Mickey Charles Mantle. Are those signed with full name is consider rare and worth more?
I just saw an ebay auction with Mike Trout signed as Michael Nelson Trout, but the seller has a high price on it. If its rare, I might just get it.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

By far. Mickey Charels Mantle is 1200 to 1550. Most players today cant do it. It takes a lot of practice.Theadore Samuel Williams another 1200 ball. Full name is the only way to go if they will sign that way. Just think. Ten thousand Mantles and one full name.

Last edited by shelly; 05-28-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Paul Hawk

I agree that full name autographs are rare, especially for players no longer with us. A few years ago I asked Whitey Ford to sign a ball for me with "Edward Charles 'Whitey' Ford." I also have a "Gary Edmund Carter" ball in my collection.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Thankfully, The Chairman of the Board is still with us:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitey_Ford
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I can only imagine that most of today's players would have difficulty even signing their full name in the first place. They're so used to crapping out those "glyphs" they call signatures, and now they have to somehow insert their middle name in there? Seems like it would completely change things up for most of them, and I would bet that more than a few would flat out refuse rather than go to the extra trouble. Old-time players or those with signatures that are actually legible might be more amenable since it wouldn't require them to somehow alter that "logo" they call a signature.

Then again, they could just as easily add another squiggle and say, "There you go, now that's my full name," and who could say otherwise?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Cool, just added a full name autographed baseball to my collection. It is just something different.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapro View Post
I noticed from time to time ball players will sign with their full name like Mickey Charles Mantle. Are those signed with full name is consider rare and worth more?
I just saw an ebay auction with Mike Trout signed as Michael Nelson Trout, but the seller has a high price on it. If its rare, I might just get it.

Thanks
Go get Trout in person and have him do that. Why spend $350+ on a ball you can get yourself.

And yes, full names worth significantly more, I would rather have a full name myself.

Here's my Mantle, I believe it may be the only full name signed card of Mantle in existence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mickey-mantle-auto1.jpg (79.0 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-29-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

lanc, I had a signing with Carew. He tried it about a dozen times and it never came out rigt. Killebrew could do it better than anyone. Ralph Kiner sam thing. Some guys are naturals the others just give up.Koufax is fun because it is only Sandford. Early Wynn is just Early Wynn. The one I had the best fun with was Theadore Bernard Kluszewski. We did it on a soft ball. Pete Rose does it all the time. If you ask them to do it the first time they are like in shock.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
lanc, I had a signing with Carew. He tried it about a dozen times and it never came out rigt. Killebrew could do it better than anyone. Ralph Kiner sam thing. Some guys are naturals the others just give up.Koufax is fun because it is only Sandford. Early Wynn is just Early Wynn. The one I had the best fun with was Theadore Bernard Kluszewski. We did it on a soft ball. Pete Rose does it all the time. If you ask them to do it the first time they are like in shock.
That's funny about Carew, Shelly. I asked him to do full name and he looked at me and said he wasn't able to pull that off...even apologized! Had good luck with Bunning, Ford, Kell and Mattingly. It's a great way to take a common sig and make it unique...seriously, how many George Clyde Kell autographs do you have in your collection?!?
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Funny stuff, Shelly. Actually, I shouldn't be too critical, considering my own experience when buying our house. The only thing that I ever write in cursive these days is my own signature, and just my middle and last name at that. I was caught by surprise when I had to sign my full name on the contract documents, and had to stop, think about it, and slowly form each letter of my first name before dashing off my usual signature to finish out. I was getting better by the time I got to the last required signature, but most looked like a third grader had come along and signed my first name with his left hand beside each of my regular signatures
Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 AM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Maybe I am one of a few that actually signed my signature with a full name on all my documents. haha
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

On the same topic, but not baseball; I did a similar thing with Bobby Orr about 25 years ago. I do legal research in property law so I view a lot of deeds, mortgages and the such with legal signatures. I also look up home addresses by searching for the deeds. Anyway, Bobby Orr was doing an appearance when that life size statue of him was on public display. I asked him to sign as he would if he was signing a mortgage. He signed Robert G. Orr. I was possibly the first person to ever ask him as everyone wanted to buy it once they saw it.

Just a note regarding those legal documents. You are not required to sign your first middle and last name if that is not what you use. Many of these documents require your signature and if that does not include your middle name or initial, or first name in the case of Lance, then you do not have to sign that way. There is always the option to add the clause 'who signs as' in any granting clause. This is from 25+ years of doing this work. I have a middle name, but do not use it. It is on my passport and drivers license, but the signature is first and last name only. I also take title to real property using first and last only and not the middle initial. I have had documents redrafted if they include my middle initial.

Last edited by Michael B; 05-29-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I believe Cal wins this conversation! Another cool auto to get is if they used an alias. Of course, I think only old-timers have done this.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mclish 002.jpg (71.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg mclish 003.jpg (72.7 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg mclish 001.jpg (71.7 KB, 212 views)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:

Thanks
John,
Allow me to answer in a different way.
I think you should collect what interests you, not what is rarer or perceived to be more valuable. Personally, I wouldn't pay a single cent more for a full name signature of modern players. I certainly wouldn't pay a significant premium for it. Why? Because I don't care what Mike Trout's full name is.
Would I pay more for a Henry Louis Gehrig as opposed to just a Lou? Yes, but how much would depend on other things, like what it's on, how clear it is, etc. Would I prefer a "Babe " Ruth or GH Ruth? Babe every day.
Now many on here have shown that they like the full signatures because they are more unique and/or different. I think that is a perfectly fine reason, but you asked about rarity and if it's worth more.
To me, you should collect what excites you and what you are passionate about. Collecting something because you perceive it to be worth more is setting oneself up for disappointment if it turns out not to be worth more.
Just my opinion.
Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
John,
I think you should collect what interests you, not what is rarer or perceived to be more valuable. Personally, I wouldn't pay a single cent more for a full name signature of modern players. I certainly wouldn't pay a significant premium for it. Why? Because I don't care what Mike Trout's full name is.
Would I pay more for a Henry Louis Gehrig as opposed to just a Lou? Yes, but how much would depend on other things, like what it's on, how clear it is, etc. Would I prefer a "Babe " Ruth or GH Ruth? Babe every day.
Now many on here have shown that they like the full signatures because they are more unique and/or different. I think that is a perfectly fine reason, but you asked about rarity and if it's worth more.
To me, you should collect what excites you and what you are passionate about. Collecting something because you perceive it to be worth more is setting oneself up for disappointment if it turns out not to be worth more.
Just my opinion.
Best,
Mark
+1
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
John,
Just my opinion.
Best,
Mark
+2
Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
John,
Just my opinion.
Best,
Mark
Amen, brother.

Which would you rather have? A playing-days ballpoint "Mickey Mantle," or a Sharpie, autograph-show-signed "Mickey Charles Mantle"?

Last edited by David Atkatz; 05-29-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
John,
Just my opinion.
Best,
Mark
We are talking about collectors of today. Of course I would love to have a Gerorge Herman Ruth. But for todays collectors that will be there history. I have always collected full name balls and did not pay extra. I think a Theodore Samuel Williams is great just like Joseph Paul Dimaggio. The plyars of today will be the stars they will remember. Are you telling me that if you owned a full name Rurth ball it would not be worth a fortune or Melvin Thomas Ott. I dont think that people thought to ask during that time.
I can tell you that for a fact full name balls sell for more than a regular ball. Just like roy balls mvp balls no hit balls. They all increase in value because people collect them. I had Pee Wee Reese sing the Kentucky Corne. Koufax signed it Sandford. What is wrong with have something a little different if they are willing to sign it. I do think you are correct when you have to pay fifty dollars for anything but a signiture.

Last edited by shelly; 05-30-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
We are talking about collectors of today. Of course I would love to have a Gerorge Herman Ruth. But for todays collectors that will be there history. I have always collected full name balls and did not pay extra. I think a Theodore Samuel Williams is great just like Joseph Paul Dimaggio. The plyars of today will be the stars they will remember. Are you telling me that if you owned a full name Rurth ball it would not be worth a fortune or Melvin Thomas Ott. I dont think that people thought to ask during that time.
I can tell you that for a fact full name balls sell for more than a regular ball. Just like roy balls mvp balls no hit balls. They all increase in value because people collect them. I had Pee Wee Reese sing the Kentucky Corne. Koufax signed it Sandford. What is wrong with have something a little different if they are willing to sign it. I do think you are correct when you have to pay fifty dollars for anything but a signiture.
Shelly,
I think you missed my point. I am not saying that full signature balls aren't less common or don't sell for more. I certainly am not trying to minimize or trivialize what someone else collects.
My point is that buying something because it is rarer or more valuable as the main reason is speculating not collecting. My suggestion to John is buy what he likes, regardless of whether anyone else thinks it is rare or valuable.
Also your comparison of a SS full name Ruth or Ott ball isn't really equal to Mike Trout. Ruth, etc are deceased HOFers who completed their careers. Trout, God forbid, could break his leg tomorrow and never play again. His full name auto would then be worth the exact same as his regular sig....nothing. Why would I pay a significant premium for a full name in this instance? If you collect Mike Trout, or the Angels in general, then the ball will mean as much to you regardless of whether it's a full name or not. If you collect only full name signed balls, then buy the ball and forget the rarity/valuation.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I'm jealous

I never heard Pee Wee Reese sing :-(
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Mark, . I would go for full name if it did not cost more. I had every player sign there full name the only one that turned me down was Ken Griffey Jr. I liked the fact that it was a little bit different. If I had a chance to ask any one that played it would be will you sign your full name. I also said how about the people that pay fifty for a hundred dollars just to have ROY,MVP and so on. I think they are crazy but look at priceing today. If guy like Ruth and Ott where alive today you dont think they would charge the same. I think it was about fifteen years or more ago I bid on full name Gehrig check. It went for over $14,000 I have no idea what it would sell for today. Yes Trout could break a leg who cares? Why does a Gehirg ball sell for so much? He did not sign. So if you had a full name Gehrig ball it would sell for five hundred thousand or more. Why because you have never seen one in your life or Mel Ott or Ruth. I am just saying if it does not cost more go for it. If you remember Joe D never signed and the money came rolling in. Now look at what is worth today. If You had a Joseph Paul Dimaggiio ball
joed.jpg

No I have never heard Pee Wee Resse sing but if it is anything like Pee Wee Herman I would shut it off.

Last edited by shelly; 05-30-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

wow, shelly. I never seen that Joe D full name before. Quite rare and interesting. I ended up not paying $349 for the full name trout. It is cool and stuff, but not worth 3 times what a normal Trout signature goes for.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I think it was about fifteen years or more ago I bid on full name Gehrig check. It went for over $14,000 I have no idea what it would sell for today. Yes Trout could break a leg who cares? Why does a Gehirg ball sell for so much? He did not sign. So if you had a full name Gehrig ball it would sell for five hundred thousand or more.
Nonsense, IMHO.

Gehrig's checks are expensive because they are rare, not because they are signed with his full, legal name. His contracts are quite expensive as well, and most are also signed "Henry Louis Gehrig." Do you think that's the reason they are valuable?

Legal documents should be--and usually are--signed with a player's legal name. Baseballs, I believe, should be signed with the name he played under. At least I, for one, prefer it that way.

I much prefer my "Babe Ruth" baseball to my "GH Ruth" check.

I don't like "created purely for collection" collectibles. I don't need--or want--to have every signed ball made unique in some way--by writing "ROY," or "HOF," or the player's middle name, or even, in the case of our beloved NY Yankee center fielder, "Fuck You."

"Mickey Mantle" will do just fine, thank you very much.

BTW, here's one he signed for me outside the Yankee Stadium player's entrance in 1966:

Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Graig Kreindler

David, that ball is bad@$$. I'm hoping it has a pretty good memory to go along with it?

Graig
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 PM

A great memory, Graig. I posted the story a while back--I'll try to find it.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Shelly,
Again, I think you are misinterpreting my thoughts.
I'm not saying there isn't a market for full name or ROY or HOF or stat inscribed balls. I'm not saying that the prices might be higher for these balls.

What I am trying to communicate is this
1) I personally couldn't care about a current player full name signed ball. I certainly wouldn't pay any more for one. I might not even buy one at all because I think they look a little weird to me.
2) I think people should buy what they like and are passionate about without regard to whether or not someone else thinks it's cool, rare, or valuable. If you, and everyone else like you, prefer full name signed items...Great. I hope you all enjoy them as part of your collection. (As communicating on the internet comes without you seeing my face or hearing the inflection in my voice, I want to be clear, that I mean that, fully and honestly, without any sarcasm at all.)

As a separate discussion, I'm not sure I fully agree with your rationale regarding some of your conclusions. Using some of your examples, I think a ball signed "Larrupin" or "The Iron Horse" or "Biscuit Pants" Lou Gehrig would sell for multiples of a full name signed one. I think a "Master Melvin" Mel Ott would do the same. As the singular ultimate example, I think a "Sultan of Swat" Ruth signed item's final price, ball or otherwise, would likely sell for more money than any sports autographed item has ever sold for. To use your more current example, I would much prefer a "Joltin Joe" or "Yankee Clipper" to a full name JP Dimaggio. I think this would apply to any player, current or older, because, as David stated, these nicknames relate to the way the player was identified within the game. I believe, items signed "Poosh'em up", Hammerin", "The Old Professor", "The Lip", "Terrific", "The Sey Hey Kid", "The Georgia Peach", "Rajah", and on and on, would all sell for more than a full name signed similar item.

None of this changes my #2 above. Forget about rarity or market value, collect what you enjoy. That is why I collect what I do.

Best to all,
Mark

Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Mark, no problem I get caught up in my own feelings. By the way here is your wish.

j2.jpg

Last edited by shelly; 05-31-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Shelly,
I know how that is. Happens to me all the time with this stuff.

That ball is SWEET! Can you make the picture bigger?

Mark

Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

jd4.jpg $600
Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Very nice Shelly. Not something i'm in the market for right now.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Shale Levine

I don't make it a priority to collect full name autographs but here are some I did buy or get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 - Copy.JPG (50.2 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 002 - Copy.JPG (49.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 003 - Copy.JPG (45.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 004 - Copy.JPG (45.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 005 - Copy.JPG (43.9 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 006 - Copy.JPG (38.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 007 - Copy.JPG (40.2 KB, 197 views)
Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Richard Simon

Here is a nice vintage one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hodgespostal.jpg (21.7 KB, 154 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Which would you rather have? A playing-days ballpoint "Mickey Mantle," or a Sharpie, autograph-show-signed "Mickey Charles Mantle"?
Why can't I have both?
Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 PM

Why would you want both?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Why would you want both?
The same reason you have more than one Ruth and Gehrig.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 AM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Why would you want both?
Because we are collectors.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
I don't make it a priority to collect full name autographs but here are some I did buy or get.
By the way, Jim Catfish Hunter is not his full name and that's how he pretty much signed everything. His full name would be James Augustus Hunter.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Because we are collectors.
Collectors are discriminating. "Acquirers" pick up one (or more) of everything.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Robert William Andrew Feller. I've seen him sign one middle name but not both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1297.jpg (72.4 KB, 82 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Collectors are discriminating.
I don't discriminate. I collect all players regardless of their race.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default A different approach...

For some of the more common autographs out there, getting a full name can be a nice change...

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.