NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 03-31-2017, 10:37 AM
Neil

Default Gentleman Johnny Bower

I know people post buy and sell here in this forum, but just feel the need to post a hockey story. If it's inappropriate I apologize ahead of time. I'll remove it if it is...

After a long and often times disappointing pro career, Johnny Bower never gave up. Nicknamed "The Great China Wall" Bower finally got his due by being elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1976.
Winning three Stanley Cups with Toronto. Anyway his career is there for all to catch up on, but this is about his continuing popularity among fans of the game.
I recently sent a color photo previously signed by the Golden Jet, Bobby Hull. The photo features he and Bower in an an action shot. I asked him to sign it for me, which he did, and he inserted a note about Bobby Hull's famous slap shot.
It read, " Neil, I was once asked about Bobby Hull's developing another type of shot, I told the reporter, he needs another shot like I need a hole in the head, which I may yet get."
He added two other signed photo cards to the return package, but the note is what I'll treasure the most. This is just one of the reasons he remains a fan favorite. A normal guy, no pretense or ego about him at all.
Recently suffered a loss, came home the other day to find the package in my accumulated mail. Made me smile, needed that.
Thanks Johnny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2017, 07:29 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknock-2013 View Post
I know people post buy and sell here in this forum, but just feel the need to post a hockey story. If it's inappropriate I apologize ahead of time. I'll remove it if it is...

After a long and often times disappointing pro career, Johnny Bower never gave up. Nicknamed "The Great China Wall" Bower finally got his due by being elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1976.
Winning three Stanley Cups with Toronto. Anyway his career is there for all to catch up on, but this is about his continuing popularity among fans of the game.
I recently sent a color photo previously signed by the Golden Jet, Bobby Hull. The photo features he and Bower in an an action shot. I asked him to sign it for me, which he did, and he inserted a note about Bobby Hull's famous slap shot.
It read, " Neil, I was once asked about Bobby Hull's developing another type of shot, I told the reporter, he needs another shot like I need a hole in the head, which I may yet get."
He added two other signed photo cards to the return package, but the note is what I'll treasure the most. This is just one of the reasons he remains a fan favorite. A normal guy, no pretense or ego about him at all.
Recently suffered a loss, came home the other day to find the package in my accumulated mail. Made me smile, needed that.
Thanks Johnny.

Great story, Neil.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:36 AM
Jeff

Bower is awesome! Still does card shows around Toronto. Last one I saw him at the promoter had a birthday cake for him!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:30 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Bower is awesome! Still does card shows around Toronto. Last one I saw him at the promoter had a birthday cake for him!
Nice!

Of the 47 Leaf Beehives I own, unfortunately, I don't have a Johnny Bower card/picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnny Bower.jpg (12.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 04-01-2017, 08:01 PM

Neil,

First and foremost, I am very sorry for your personal loss. Hang in there, bro. I was really glad to read your Johnny Bower anecdote. I grew up in the Chicagoland area in the 60s as a Black Hawk fan. I came to admire and respect the play of a lot of the opposing players, among them being your hero, Mr. Bower. A genuine Hall-of-Famer, as a player, and as a man!

Again, I'm sincerely sorry for your loss. --Brian Powell
Old 04-01-2017, 08:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Yes, sorry for your loss, Neil.

I meant to comment earlier but got caught up in Mr. Bower and forgot to offer my condolences.

My apologies.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Neil

Thanks guys. Thank you all very much.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Neil

uploadfromtaptalk1491157129351.jpg

Old 04-02-2017, 03:27 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Attachment 268115

Very nice!
Old 04-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Jeff

Here's some more Bower items...

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 04-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Neil

That 69-70 opc PSA 9 is a sweet one. Hard to find that years OPC in a 9.
Didn't know he changed his name when he turned pro.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Neil

uploadfromtaptalk1491180959446.jpg

Old 04-03-2017, 12:11 PM

Neil, thanks for loading up your absolutely gorgeous autographed pieces.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-eautiful! ---Brian Powell
Old 04-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Neil

Thanks Brian

Old 04-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Mike Dugan

Neil- That is a great story, I too am sorry for your loss.

The stories of the hockey guys being nice are fun. Growing up in the south I had limited access to the game after CBS stopped showing games back in the late 1960's.

Everything I read is that they are easily the nicest of the major sports. I think I have posted this before but the only two hockey players I have ever met are Bobby and Brett Hull. Back in the 60's my Dad was our airport manager and he called home one day for my Mom to bring to the airport. After arriving Dad said he had a surprise for me, in a few minutes a cab pulled up and out stepped Bobby Hull. He came here monthly to visit a doctor who had pioneered hair plugs! He shook my hand and we talked hockey for a few minutes before he climbed into a Beechcraft Baron and left.

In the Fall of 1998 I was excited to find that the Dallas Stars and Nashville Predators were playing a game in Little Rock so a friend and I headed over. After arriving my buddy went to get us some beers, he soon waved for me to come down with him. He asked if I knew what the players looked like out of uniform and I responded that I might recognize the stars. He led me to the hall where we found Brett Hull leaning up against the wall. We walked over and said hello, he could not have been friendlier. He asked us if "we wanted to meet the boys." We said sure and he took us into the Stars locker room and introduced us to several players. All were very cordial. Later as the teams warmed up we saw Brett come out in street clothes and point up to us. He led about a dozen players and GM Bob Gainey up to our seats. We were told the ice was questionable in the old 1930's stock yard arena and they were sitting most of the older players. We spent the game chatting with them and could not have been more impressed.

On the drive home we kept asking each other if players in other sports would have been that nice. Just a great experience.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Neil

Great story Mike. They do seem to be some of the most unpretentious athletes you'd ever want to meet. Humble and fan friendly. Let's hope it stays that way. Believe it or not Billy Martin was a great guy towards fans too. Grew up in the Bronx and spent many many days at Yankee Stadium. He was managing the Yanks I think it was '77. Not good with dates, but me and a few of the boys had great seats behind the plate one night. Steinbrenner and Billy were having a contract dispute at the time. One of the guys made a sign that read; Hey Steinblubber give Billy what he wants. Martin saw it from the dugout, heard us yelling it throughout the game. Several times during the game he came up to the top step of the dugout monitoring to us to quiet down. We were about 12 beers into the game each so that wasn't going to happen. Anyway the game ends. We're hanging around the stadium long after the game. We had purchased a couple of six packs from a local bodega. We never expected what happened next. Billy comes out the press gate and heads to his Lincoln town car, license plate NY 1. He sees us, we see him and he waves us over. We spent the next hour in the vacant players parking lot while Billy shared a couple of beers with us leaning up against his town car. Just chatted the hour away about normal stuff. We didn't ask for autographs, we were all kind of drunk and shocked but he made our summers. But, I digress, this is a hockey forum. Hope I don't get time in the Chateau Bow Wow for telling this story.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:40 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Neil- That is a great story, I too am sorry for your loss.

The stories of the hockey guys being nice are fun. Growing up in the south I had limited access to the game after CBS stopped showing games back in the late 1960's.

Everything I read is that they are easily the nicest of the major sports. I think I have posted this before but the only two hockey players I have ever met are Bobby and Brett Hull. Back in the 60's my Dad was our airport manager and he called home one day for my Mom to bring to the airport. After arriving Dad said he had a surprise for me, in a few minutes a cab pulled up and out stepped Bobby Hull. He came here monthly to visit a doctor who had pioneered hair plugs! He shook my hand and we talked hockey for a few minutes before he climbed into a Beechcraft Baron and left.

In the Fall of 1998 I was excited to find that the Dallas Stars and Nashville Predators were playing a game in Little Rock so a friend and I headed over. After arriving my buddy went to get us some beers, he soon waved for me to come down with him. He asked if I knew what the players looked like out of uniform and I responded that I might recognize the stars. He led me to the hall where we found Brett Hull leaning up against the wall. We walked over and said hello, he could not have been friendlier. He asked us if "we wanted to meet the boys." We said sure and he took us into the Stars locker room and introduced us to several players. All were very cordial. Later as the teams warmed up we saw Brett come out in street clothes and point up to us. He led about a dozen players and GM Bob Gainey up to our seats. We were told the ice was questionable in the old 1930's stock yard arena and they were sitting most of the older players. We spent the game chatting with them and could not have been more impressed.

On the drive home we kept asking each other if players in other sports would have been that nice. Just a great experience.
Quote:
Great story Mike. They do seem to be some of the most unpretentious athletes you'd ever want to meet. Humble and fan friendly. Let's hope it stays that way. Believe it or not Billy Martin was a great guy towards fans too. Grew up in the Bronx and spent many many days at Yankee Stadium. He was managing the Yanks I think it was '77. Not good with dates, but me and a few of the boys had great seats behind the plate one night. Steinbrenner and Billy were having a contract dispute at the time. One of the guys made a sign that read; Hey Steinblubber give Billy what he wants. Martin saw it from the dugout, heard us yelling it throughout the game. Several times during the game he came up to the top step of the dugout monitoring to us to quiet down. We were about 12 beers into the game each so that wasn't going to happen. Anyway the game ends. We're hanging around the stadium long after the game. We had purchased a couple of six packs from a local bodega. We never expected what happened next. Billy comes out the press gate and heads to his Lincoln town car, license plate NY 1. He sees us, we see him and he waves us over. We spent the next hour in the vacant players parking lot while Billy shared a couple of beers with us leaning up against his town car. Just chatted the hour away about normal stuff. We didn't ask for autographs, we were all kind of drunk and shocked but he made our summers. But, I digress, this is a hockey forum. Hope I don't get time in the Chateau Bow Wow for telling this story.

Both great stories, guys. Thanks for sharing them!

My thoughts are, just like real life, you are going to find a-holes and you're going to find great people, in all walks of life.
I know with the NHL, appearance, your behaviour, all those things are very important to not only the team you play for but the NHL as a whole too.

A young kid, who is the nephew of a friend at work, (Ty Dellandrea) who currently plays for the Flint Firebirds of the OHL (Michigan) couldn't believe the info they had on him before he was drafted. His parents were also shocked.
Thing is, unbenounced to him or his parents, he had been watched/scouted for years. They had everything on him, things from FaceBook, snapchat, twitter, Sony on-line activity, schools, you name it. They told him he was well behaved, and if he hadn't of been, he might not be here right now.

Jeff, my friend, said it was a real eye opener for everyone, especially, Ty, but it goes to show you, being mannerly, polite and staying out of trouble, is very important.
Not bad pts for a rookie, and just 16 yrs of age. http://flintfirebirds.com/players/7400 He played for the Whitby Fury AAA team and was an excellent player. If he continues on this path, I have no doubt he'll be in the NHL some day.

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Neil

That's news to me too about the scouting reports. Wonder if the NSA could do a better job. But you are correct. Image is very important to the NHL. Although the NHL is run by fools only interested in the bottom line the players are held to very high standards. Kind of league you'd like to see your children end up playing in. The NBA and NFL are moving closer to the WWE. Not exactly exemplary standards
fi r players. Seems a felony rap sheet is a prerequisite for consideration in both those leagues.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:53 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
That's news to me too about the scouting reports. Wonder if the NSA could do a better job. But you are correct. Image is very important to the NHL. Although the NHL is run by fools only interested in the bottom line the players are held to very high standards. Kind of league you'd like to see your children end up playing in. The NBA and NFL are moving closer to the WWE. Not exactly exemplary standards
fi r players. Seems a felony rap sheet is a prerequisite for consideration in both those leagues.

I can't believe Brian Burke is always allowed to look disheveled like he normally is? That has got to be embarrassing for the NHL.

I hear you about the other 2 leagues. Seems society as a whole is heading down the crapper, and with young kids, who idolize these types of players and their conduct, it is only going to get worse, sadly.

When my son played Rep hockey last year, he was, as was the rest of the team, told to watch his conduct off the ice as well, which included Facebook, Sony and the rest of them. They were also told not to wear their team jackets/clothing unless it was out to dinner or some type of special event/function. It was frowned upon to wear them to school or at any type of non parental function. This was just level A but I believe these rules applied to all Rep levels.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Neil

I played NY Metro league back in the '70's. Emile Francis started that league. We were told the same thing about team jackets and sweaters outside the rink. We were told it would help avoid getting into fights with other Metro league team players off the ice.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:39 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I played NY Metro league back in the '70's. Emile Francis started that league. We were told the same thing about team jackets and sweaters outside the rink. We were told it would help avoid getting into fights with other Metro league team players off the ice.

And for sure that would have likely been the case, at least for a couple/few of the players.