NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Default Why do people feel the need to lie?

I make a $300 offer to a seller on an item, seller replies that he paid more than that. So I check some completed auctions trying to find comparable items to get an idea what my next offer should be and I find this jersey (exact same jersey, 100% conclusive photomatch) sold on a major AH 15 days ago for $225. I ask the seller what his best price was and he replied back that he paid $400 and can't go lower. I sent him a link to the auction and he replies its not the same jersey, hes had it for 30 years. I explain to him how every pinstripe matches, has a exact same size stain in the exact same spot and is missing a stitch in the same spot. I never heard back from.

Personally I don't care how much money a person makes on me if I pay a fair price but why lie?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I make a $300 offer to a seller on an item, seller replies that he paid more than that. So I check some completed auctions trying to find comparable items to get an idea what my next offer should be and I find this jersey (exact same jersey, 100% conclusive photomatch) sold on a major AH 15 days ago for $225. I ask the seller what his best price was and he replied back that he paid $400 and can't go lower. I sent him a link to the auction and he replies its not the same jersey, hes had it for 30 years. I explain to him how every pinstripe matches, has a exact same size stain in the exact same spot and is missing a stitch in the same spot. I never heard back from him.

Personally I don't care how much money a person makes on me if I pay a fair price but why lie?
I love it when people get caught in their lies!

Good job, Jim. There is no doubt in my mind now, unless he decides to come clean, that you'll be hearing back from him anytime soon.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Al Richter

Earlier this year National Geographic devoted almost an entire issue answering this question from a scientific standpoint

And as Dr House said regularly, everyone lies

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-03-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:40 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Earlier this year National Geographic devoted almost an entire issue answering this question from a scientific standpoint

And as Dr House said regularly, everyone lies
Od course everyone lies, you tell your boss his new baby is cute because the truth will get you fired, you tell your wife the 80 pounds she gained is barely noticable because you dont want to hurt her feelings.

Once a seller loses my trust, there is no way I am going to send him money. The thing is I wanted the jersey and would have spent the $400 had he been honest and upfront.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:22 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Od course everyone lies, you tell your boss his new baby is cute because the truth will get you fired, you tell your wife the 80 pounds she gained is barely noticable because you dont want to hurt her feelings.

Once a seller loses my trust, there is no way I am going to send him money. The thing is I wanted the jersey and would have spent the $400 had he been honest and upfront.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg funny-marriage-do-i-look-fat.jpg (54.9 KB, 297 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
I make a $300 offer to a seller on an item, seller replies that he paid more than that. So I check some completed auctions trying to find comparable items to get an idea what my next offer should be and I find this jersey (exact same jersey, 100% conclusive photomatch) sold on a major AH 15 days ago for $225. I ask the seller what his best price was and he replied back that he paid $400 and can't go lower. I sent him a link to the auction and he replies its not the same jersey, hes had it for 30 years. I explain to him how every pinstripe matches, has a exact same size stain in the exact same spot and is missing a stitch in the same spot. I never heard back from.

What's he supposed to write in his description?

"Hi everyone, I paid $225 for this jersey and I am looking to make around $100 profit on it. Thanks."

There is not a single seller out there who will tell his customers how much he really paid for his stuff - why would anyone want to do that? Do you tell others how much you paid for your stuff?

I find it extremely silly whenever someone emails me and starts asking how much I paid for my card, when I bought it, and who I bought it from. Pfttt, as if I am going to tell you all that! If I start doing that, then buyers will expect me to make no more than 10% profit. Oh, and wait, add to that the eBay and Paypal fees - how am I supposed to make any money?
Old 08-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
What's he supposed to write in his description?

"Hi everyone, I paid $225 for this jersey and I am looking to make around $100 profit on it. Thanks."

There is not a single seller out there who will tell his customers how much he really paid for his stuff - why would anyone want to do that? Do you tell others how much you paid for your stuff?

I find it extremely silly whenever someone emails me and starts asking how much I paid for my card, when I bought it, and who I bought it from. Pfttt, as if I am going to tell you all that! If I start doing that, then buyers will expect me to make no more than 10% profit. Oh, and wait, add to that the eBay and Paypal fees - how am I supposed to make any money?
Touche.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:54 PM

I find there are actually plenty of sellers who will tell you what they paid for something. It usually comes in the form of "Well, I've got X into it, so....."
Old 08-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I find there are actually plenty of sellers who will tell you what they paid for something. It usually comes in the form of "Well, I've got X into it, so....."
I believe the OP stated that the seller used such a statement, however, he lied about what he had in the item.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:23 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Perhaps he forgot how much he paid for it.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Robert Williams

Maybe so. But the item was only in his possession for two weeks before the offer came in. It is a new flip. So, doubtful.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:37 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Still dont understand why anyone would want to believe the reason anyone gives for selling a card. What does it matter and who cares if they are lying about their reasons. As long as the card is real and in the condition as presented does any of rest matter if true or not.

Sellers say need to sell cards to pay taxes or pay for medication yet the cards listed forever. Who cares the reasons, if you would pay $400 for the card but wont now for his lies then the card really isnt worth $400 to you. If its worth $400 then pay it....if you want to feel better i guess make up a reason why you have to buy it....say..ok ill pay the $400.....and after you get the card say thanks cause i have a buyer for it for $600...does that make you feel better.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-07-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:52 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Still dont understand why anyone would want to believe the reason anyone gives for selling a card. What does it matter and who cares if they are lying about their reasons. As long as the card is real and in the condition as presented does any of rest matter if true or not.

Sellers say need to sell cards to pay taxes or pay for medication yet the cards listed forever. Who cares the reasons, if you would pay $400 for the card but wont now for his lies then the card really isnt worth $400 to you. If its worth $400 then pay it....if you want to feel better i guess make up a reason why you have to buy it....say..ok ill pay the $400.....and after you get the card say thanks cause i have a buyer for it for $600...does that make you feel better.
I don't care about his reason for selling and I didn't ask. If my offer was not enough, then he should have just said so instead of making up a story. There has to be a certain trust from buyer to seller, if he would lie about that, maybe he's dishonest enough to lie about shipping my item or maybe he will stick a rock in a box to get a delivery confirmation. I would have paid by regular PayPal but I'd rather not have to fight to get my money back from a seller who's proven to lbe dishonest.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I will tell people what I paid usually. It doesn't matter that much what I paid it's what will they pay me for it. On the converse I don't really care what others paid for something either.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:28 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
On the converse I don't really care what others paid for something either.
Yup. I understand sellers hate to lose money but just because they way overpaid for something doesn't mean I'm gooing to cover their mistake.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Yup. I understand sellers hate to lose money but just because they way overpaid for something doesn't mean I'm gooing to cover their mistake.
What it does do if the seller is serious is it saves time with the back and forth if the buyer knows theres no chance the seller will take less than the buyer can move on. Again i dont care what the seller says and dont care if its real or not what he paid. Whats important is if i know he wont take a certain price for whatever the claimed reason and i can move on..
Old 08-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Scott Russell

Yeah I don't understand the need for a bogus claim by the seller. When people make me offers on ebay I counter with my best price. I tell them "That's the best I can do" I don't bother telling them why. Live, if I get into a discussion or it's a buyer I know well I may go into more detail, but online with a complete stranger what's the point? Often after I give my best price they re-counter and then I send them my best price again, if they again counter below that I just reject it.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-16-2017, 06:57 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Yeah I don't understand the need for a bogus claim by the seller. When people make me offers on ebay I counter with my best price. I tell them "That's the best I can do" I don't bother telling them why. Live, if I get into a discussion or it's a buyer I know well I may go into more detail, but online with a complete stranger what's the point? Often after I give my best price they re-counter and then I send them my best price again, if they again counter below that I just reject it.
Not a big seller here, but I've walked away from selling something for as little as $5. When I get something to the effect of "You're willing to walk away because of a difference of $5?", my response is "Yeah, are you?"
Old 08-16-2017, 07:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Best I can do is a good tactic as long as you hold to that.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Scott Russell

try me
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Glyn Parson

Default scott

sent you a pm.