NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default Storing cards in an album? Need advice..

Posted By: Silver King

I started collecting pre-1920 cards over the past several months and my collection is now 100+ of various cards in all shapes, ages and sizes. I have a number of smaller cards such as N172's and larger cards such as N173 cabinets. Up until now all the cards have been placed in a drawer but I would really like to put them in something like a photo album so that I can see and appreciate them a bit more..not to mention putting them in some kind of order. Back in the 70's I used to put all my cards in plastic sleeves, is this still the case or is there something else out there that I should know about? I guess my biggest concern is preserving the cards (other than slabbing) and still being able to see them. What does everybody else do?

Old 05-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I use top loaders with sleeves...they are made for all size cards and do quite well....They can be found on ebay all of the time....

Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

As Leon says, always use a sleeve with your top loader. For all the obvious reasons. Top loaders work very nicely.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Because you never know where that top loader has been, and then all of a sudden you find yourself at a clinic being told by a nurse that you have essentially stored your card with every other card that has been with that top loader!

very embarrassing.

Best of Luck!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

You mentioned an album. I find that the UltraPro 15-pocket pages are too tight. But I think the Nostalgia brand from England has a little bit more room. Plus they come in 10-pocket pages so they fir the 50-card sets very nicely.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

I'd suggest investing in a nice binder from murraycards.com. I use the "nostalgia" binders and find them to be great. They make sheets to fit any cards I want (including cabinet sized cards) and the binder itself is very high quality and comes with its own slipcase.

Take a look at the link below to check out the nostalgia binders.

http://www.murraycards.com/accessories/nostalgia.aspx

Many people think they will damage their cards if they use a binder, whether it is from inserting them into the page or flipping the page; I have never damaged a card and don't consider myself to be the most careful of people.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Collie

I've always found sleeves to be more trouble than they're worth and am always afraid I'll damage the card trying to squeeze it into a top loader with sleeve. Am I missing something? Why use sleeves - just to stop the card from moving around???

Old 05-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Yes.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

It keeps it from moving around, or sliding out, but it also protects it should any moisture some how get on the loader, and it also keeps dirt particles from making dents, or impressions on the card as it tightens down. Not likely that anything large enough to press marks, or impressions or holes in the card as it tightens down, but hey, why take any chances. In 18 years, I have never had one problem with a sleeve. I still use them occasionally for odd balls. The other day I was walking up in my balcony and accidently dropped two cards, two stories down. Thanks to PSA, they landed all by themselves, and never had a scratch or dent. Whew.....If they'd been raw, maybe they would have gently glided to the floor with no damage done. But....somehow I doubt it.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray Piskadlo

Zach,

Thanks for posting that! I have been quietly looking for something like that for a while now... since MJ Roop is gone. Muchas gracias (it's almost Cinco de Mayo!)

-Ray Piskadlo

Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Another way is to take the "loaded" top-loaders and then put them into 4 pocket pages (the ones for Postcards). I do that with a lot of my Topps test issues as you get the extra protection but it works for anything that fits a top loader.