NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Scott

Default Curious about T206 cards

I apologize in advance if there has been a thread on this, but what do you guys think is the reason for the prices on T206s? I see Cards that are in AWFUL condition going 10-15.00 a piece across the board, and even mid grade ones, (graded or not) going for what I feel are high prices.

Does anyone have a theory for this phenomena, or are people just so desperate to own them that they sometimes throw all rationale aside?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 PM

It is the most popular pre-war set. There are probably well over a thousand T206 collectors. Though they are not rare, it is simple supply and demand.
JimB
Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I apologize in advance if there has been a thread on this, but what do you guys think is the reason for the prices on T206s? I see Cards that are in AWFUL condition going 10-15.00 a piece across the board, and even mid grade ones, (graded or not) going for what I feel are high prices.

Does anyone have a theory for this phenomena, or are people just so desperate to own them that they sometimes throw all rationale aside?
I think it may have more to do with people trying to "complete" the set in any condition (Be it 518,520,522) and like Jim said, there seem to be ALOT of people working on the set.

Everyone's definitions of AWFUL may vary, but I'm pretty sure I've bought a few t206's in the $10-$15 range at which alot of people would scoff. I do have some standards, but they are pretty low.

That being said, with my personal definition of AWFUL, I usually pass or maybe I'll go $6 or $7 depending on how I feel at a given time.

There also have been cards that pop up on ebay, I put on watch list thinking- That looks like one I will win for $10 to $15, then it flies by $15 easily. No problem, it will show up again.

When I reach 500/524, I expect I will be more impatient!

Last edited by tonyo; 07-07-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: not Ivy league, but I think I ended a sentance with a preposition
Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
T0dd M@rcum

T cards in P-f, no writing, no missing pieces, no creases across the face, have gone for $10 for a pretty long time. I have found premiums being paid on large groups (15+ cards) that confound me.

I buy/trade for a lot of $10-15 T206 commons.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Brian J0hns0n

I know what you mean. Commons that I have purchased as recently as a few months ago for $15 are now going for $20+ in the same condition. I haven't won a card on ebay for a while now as I always get outbid. There don't seem to be any "good" deals anymore.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:19 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

I totally agree, I posted this a few weeks ago....Has anyone else noticed a recent increase in mid-level PSA and SGC graded cards on EBAY? As recently as 2 months ago I was consistently buying common player PSA 4 and SGC 50 T206's on EBAY in the $48-52 dollar range but in the last few weeks I have not been able to buy many if any cards below $60. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a single buyer out there trying to amass a large quantity of cards. This isn't limited to the 4's but the 4.5's and the 5.0's as well.

If it is a single buyer I guess the only way to find out is if sellers post the ebay names of buyers of multiple lots on net54 and I don't think thats too ethical, but something seems to be going on.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Johnny S

I would guess a handful of new collectors are getting into prewar and the gateway is T206. The first thing most start with is beaters and slowly move up as time moves on and maybe branch into other issues as well. Many midgrade cards are going for lower than usual with 5, 6, and 7 grades going for quite a bit less than what they used to but of course some are going strong. It's all hit or miss, luck and timing.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
I would guess a handful of new collectors are getting into prewar and the gateway is T206. The first thing most start with is beaters and slowly move up as time moves on and maybe branch into other issues as well. Many midgrade cards are going for lower than usual with 5, 6, and 7 grades going for quite a bit less than what they used to but of course some are going strong. It's all hit or miss, luck and timing.
Agreed 100%.