NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default How did this get a 7????

I am in no way a PSA basher (own cards in all majoe TPG slabs) and don't wanna beat a dead horse with yet another "TPG screwed up" thread, but I had to post this one. Near mint?!?!?!? It would've been agregious had they claimed EX, let alone NM... 4 dinged corners, a chip of paper loss on the front and no fewer than 3 legitimate creases. Wow!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-E120-Am...#ht_972wt_1018

Last edited by itjclarke; 05-13-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I am in no way a PSA basher (own cards in all majoe TPG slabs) and don't wanna beat a dead horse with yet another "TPG screwed up" thread, but I had to post this one. Near mint?!?!?!? It would've been agregious had they claimed EX, let alone NM... 4 dinged corners, a chip of paper loss on the front and no fewer than 3 legitimate creases. Wow!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-E120-Am...#ht_972wt_1018
You can ad slight tilt to that,
i once sent 2 Minoso rookies one got 6 and another a 3
but they inverted the holders they put the 6 in the 3 holder and the
3 in the 6 holder, so maybe something like that could it happen.

Last edited by pepis; 05-13-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 AM

The slab looks frosted on the left side - the original card could have been cracked out and a lower-conditioned card might have been added
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 AM
Pete Sycks

Rounded corners and paper loss get you a 7, not too bad.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Robert Williams

Yea..someone messed that one up.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 AM
Jason Stricker

Let's not forget the wrinkles and creases. I'm sure that's what kept this from being a 10.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The cards had to have been switched at some point. Grading companies are going to make mistakes from time to time, but for someone to look at THIS card and determine a 7? I believe the grading companies are beter than that.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 AM
pete ullman

WOW!!!!! Windfall!!!! My whole collection is NM!!!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This one is so horrendous I find it hard to believe that PSA graded that card in that slab. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Robert Williams

Maybe someone can alert Rick about the card. Maybe the case was compromised. Is he a member here?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Maybe someone can alert Rick about the card. Maybe the case was compromised. Is he a member here?
Rick has around 40 posts on this board and they are recent. I am sure he does read it sometimes.

Last edited by Leon; 07-09-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Dan McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Rick has around 40 posts on this board, and they are recent. I am sure he does read it sometimes.
Here we go again!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM
David Pierson
Banned

This HAS to be a mistake. Probably "switched out" with another card.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 AM

Theres creases.

I'm pretty sure that case is compromised.

Last edited by dodgerfanjohn; 05-13-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Ruben

the grading gods took the afternoon off
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

ended...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
N.ate A.dams

I got a good laugh looking at that. If we had played a "Guess the grade" game, I would have been in at PSA 1.5.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Nice to see I wasn't the only one that thought 3 creases and paper loss are unacceptable on a PSA 7.

Also nice to see the seller took the listing down. That said, I'd love to have the card minus holder, or in an appropriate one.

Last edited by itjclarke; 05-13-2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: subject verb agreement
Old 05-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Banned

WTF!!!!!!!!!!! that is a PSA 7 no way. then that sports kings Ty Cobb I just sold is going to come back a GEM MT 10
Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 AM
Glyn Parson

Default It was either

It was either a data entry, switched grade with card before or after after it, or it was a compromised holder. Do not pretend it was anything else, no one thinks that card is honestly a 7. Granted either of the first 2 should have been caught on review with such an egregious error.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Bill Gregory

Am I crazy, or do you all see some water damage near the top right corner of the card, too? And is that a pinhole along the bottom edge of his right forearm? No way that's a 7.

As to the likelihood this has been popped, I think it's the most likely of explanations. I can't believe a PSA grader would goof by that much. Something is rotten in Denmark, indeed.

I know that frosting alone is not indicative of a cracked slab, but I remember reading that frosting along with disruption to the 4 windows along the outside of the slab make a pretty good case that it's been compromised. Well, the two windows on the left side look highly suspect to me.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:19 AM
Scott

Default Hmm

Got an ax to grind?

Nothing like rehashing an old psa bashing thread...
Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
Got an ax to grind?

Nothing like rehashing an old psa bashing thread...
Just to clarify my point of view. This was never intended as a PSA bashing thread.. I've got no real preference between PSA/SGC/BVG. It was just to point out a waaaay over the top example of an overgrazed card. A solid 2 or 3 in a 7 holder

Last edited by itjclarke; 07-09-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I'm just happy the seller didn't say the card was a 7++++.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Just to clarify my point of view. This was never intended as a PSA bashing thread.. I've got no real preference between PSA/SGC/BVG. It was just to point out a waaaay over the top example of an overgrazed card. A solid 2 or 3 in a 7 holder
Do you REALLY believe that the card actually graded a 7 ? More reasonable that someone switched the card than over grading.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 07-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:23 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Do you REALLY believe that the card actually graded a 7 ? More reasonable that someone switched the card than over grading.
I don't really KNOW enough to suggest one thing over another.. I only posted to point out a card that had no business in a 7 holder. A Black Swamp Find PSA 8.5 Wagner ended up in a PSA 10 holder by mistake, right? Strange things can happen.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Todd Schultz

Has this card been shown before?--please provide link. If not, then by all means Ian should point it out. Otherwise what is this stupid axe to grind inquiry all about? Does anyone REALLY think PSA could have missed this one as opposed to it being a card switch? Yes I do. I think it happens alot, and to give some sort of presumption that it must have been a nefarious inter-meddler or an administrative blunder is simply not supported by the track record of this grading company. Call it to our attention every time please.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM
I@n Cl@rke

There's a link to the auction on my first post, but it's probably going to expire soon.. so here are the pics.
E120 Alexander long.jpgE120 Alexander.jpgE120 Alexander back.jpg

I will add, I've been collecting since early childhood and am definitely not blind or naive in regards to scammers. My best friend's brother worked at a shop as a kid and was asked to sort through packs to pull Mattingly rookies, etc, before resealing them... but that said, I still maintain a very positive attitude toward collecting/my collection/etc and it remains fun as ever for me. I truly hope I never succumb to a doomsday mind set that everyone is out to screw everyone, and all TPG's suck, blah blah. If it gets to that point I'll probably have stopped collecting.

Some people scam, some cards are trimmed, some cards are fakes, and all TPGs make some mistakes, but if I have little/no proof that someone is scamming here, I prefer not to make accusations (even if I have strong suspicions). I also want to add, I've bought several items from Probstein and have been very happy. It should be noted that he apparently pulled this item shortly after this thread was started.

Last edited by itjclarke; 07-09-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: editing pics
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 PM
JeR@Me

Default And it ain't the cheese...

This card is Vg-Ex at best, but appears to be more Good to Very good to me. It smells.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

With the 3 creases (at least...not sure if there's a 4th) and the paper scrape on the right border, that seems like a FR card to me. Seems that the 1.5 holder would be the most appropriate. I'd be mildly surprised if that card was given a "2" but not at all surprised to see it get a "1". Several smaller issues too like the stain on the top, diamond cut centering, etc...

Last edited by shammus; 07-11-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Brad Pencil

I'm sort of surprised it didn't get an "Spinal Tap" 11. That should be the next screw up.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
There's a link to the auction on my first post, but it's probably going to expire soon.. so here are the pics.
Attachment 106217Attachment 106214Attachment 106219

I will add, I've been collecting since early childhood and am definitely not blind or naive in regards to scammers. My best friend's brother worked at a shop as a kid and was asked to sort through packs to pull Mattingly rookies, etc, before resealing them... but that said, I still maintain a very positive attitude toward collecting/my collection/etc and it remains fun as ever for me. I truly hope I never succumb to a doomsday mind set that everyone is out to screw everyone, and all TPG's suck, blah blah. If it gets to that point I'll probably have stopped collecting.

Some people scam, some cards are trimmed, some cards are fakes, and all TPGs make some mistakes, but if I have little/no proof that someone is scamming here, I prefer not to make accusations (even if I have strong suspicions). I also want to add, I've bought several items from Probstein and have been very happy. It should be noted that he apparently pulled this item shortly after this thread was started.
I have PSA 5's that look nicer than that card. I'm sure it's not the seller trying to deceive anybody though, looks more like a grading error by PSA which is entirely possible.

Also as you said, he pulled the card. Maybe he realized that there was no way the card was a 7 and is sending it back to get regraded.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UOFLfan7 View Post
I have PSA 5's that look nicer than that card. I'm sure it's not the seller trying to deceive anybody though, looks more like a grading error by PSA which is entirely possible.

Also as you said, he pulled the card. Maybe he realized that there was no way the card was a 7 and is sending it back to get regraded.
I have SGC 30s that are far better than this card. It HAS to be a compromised card not a grading mistake. PSA graders, even if they had a hangover and somewhere to go, would never graded it higher than a 2.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Looks like a 1.5 to me.

Also the slab really does not look like its been tampered with to me, most slabs have a little bit of frost and that one looks to be normal. IMO looks like a PSA mess up to me, it happens but thats one of the worst I have seen.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:28 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Looks like a 1.5 to me.

Also the slab really does not look like its been tampered with to me, most slabs have a little bit of frost and that one looks to be normal. IMO looks like a PSA mess up to me, it happens but thats one of the worst I have seen.
I'm leaning more in this direction. I don't rule out tampering, but also thought the slab looked pretty clean. Again, as mentioned before, there was the case of the Black Swamp Find mix up, so that can happen.. Meaning it doesn't necessarily have to have bpeen a grader's error. However I think it seems like a long shot there would be two E120 Alexanders at PSA at the same time. Hey, maybe there is a seriously awesomely under-graded "2" out there. I want that one!!

Anyway, don't wanna speculate too much (or bash the TPG).. And still hold that no conclusion is certain based on what we can see. All that matters is the seller pulled the item. It would be interesting to know what the seller or his consigner ended up doing (maybe regrade?).

Last edited by itjclarke; 07-11-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Glyn Parson

Default No one

Thinks that is a 7. It is silly to pretend otherwise. It is obviously a data entry mistake if the holder is legit. They may miss alterations or even occasionally grade a counterfeit card but they are not so incompetent as to think this is a 7.