NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Default SGC's 2nd Collector Magazine available now

Posted By: leon

Hey Folks,
SGC has their 2nd magazine out and I would invite everyone to go to www.sgccard.com and check it out. The subscription info is on their home page too. I know some board members are contributors so it can be fun to see what they write about. The magazine will have many articles on vintage cards, and if it's like the 1st issue, is a good read. Besides my friends at Oldcardboard I don't know of another current, vintage baseball card magazine. I am sure there will be newer card articles too and the first SGC issue was very well written. On that note someone sent me the 1st issue and I was supposed to send it onto another board member. I currently can't find it at my house. If someone will kindly let me know who it was then I will get SGC to send a copy of the first issue out to them, complimentary. I have cleared this with Sean over there so we are good to go. Sorry about not sending it out long ago....regards...moderator dude

Old 12-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

Thanks for the info Leon.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

What are titles of some of the articles? How many articles per magazine and at what length? The articles in SMR are usually crappy, is it better than those?

Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Leon - I was the one who sent you the first magazine. I believe that you were supposed to send it to Josh Krasner.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

By now you know me.....I think I forgot to send you some money too...but very much an honest mistake.....I will make sure Josh gets one....and can probably get you one too if you want....if someone would be so kind as to send me Josh's (Hi Josh if you read this) address via private email I will get him one....and you too Greg if you send me yours...I am checking on the other questions Cmoking had too....but the SGC guys must be sweating away grading cards as their office v-mail is picking up the phone....regards all...

Old 12-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

"What are titles of some of the articles? How many articles per magazine and at what length? The articles in SMR are usually crappy, is it better than those?"

I have not received a copy of the second issue as of yet. I really enjoyed the first issue. It was simply a few good "collecting" articles with no pricing and no investment advice. Very refreshing.

Not a very thick publication (22 pages), but the content is better than the SMR and this was SGC's first issue. I am sure they will increase the magazine's size once a few subscriptions are received and increased advertising allows.

Included articles:

1. Red Man Tobacco by Tony Aconte (pg. 4, 6 & 7). A very knowledgable and nice guy.
2. The Third Major League by Chris Stufflestreet (pg. 9, 10, 11 & 12). Basically, Federal League teams in the Cracker Jack set.
3. 1937 Mayfair Candies Football by Mike Bonner & Carl Lamendola (pg. 14 & 15).
4. 1938 Goudey Baseball by Al Crisafulli (16, 17, & 18). I know Al posts on this board.

Other than the above, content included:

1. Front cover (pg. 1).
2. Table of contents (pg. 2).
3. Foreword from Dave Forman, which I thought was great (pg. 3).
4. BMW Sportscards Ad (pg. 4).
5. Superior Sports Auctions Ad (pg. 8)
6. Heritage Sports Collectibles Ad (pg. 13)
7. Goowin & Co. Ad (pg. 19)
8. News and events i.e. brief auction notes and James Spence Team up (pg. 20, 21 & 22)

The subsription is only $20 for a year (4 issues). Just go to the SGC site and pay for a year online. Pretty difficult to be dissapointed for only $20/year.

One nice thing about the magazine is that I think it can be truly enjoyed by people that do not like grading and/or do not like SGC. In Dave Forman's foreword, it was stressed that the intent was for a "collector" magazine. Sure there will be some minor self promotion, but the magazine can be enjoyed by PSA, GAI, BVG and raw preferenced people.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I agree...I read the first issue and I truly enjoyed the format and design of the magazine, most notably the topics covered. I look forward to the 2nd issue.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

Received the 2nd issue yesterday and enjoyed it again. For the folks who may be interested:

pg. 1 - Cover
pg. 2 - Heritage Ad
pg. 3 - Table of Contents
pg. 4 & 5 - Foreword by Sean Skeffington.
pg. 6, 8, 9 & 10: "1928 Ice Cream Cards" by David Vargha
pg. 7 - BMW ad.
pg. 11 - Robert Edward Ad.
pg. 12, 14 & 15: "1950 Admiral Rams" by Mike Bonner and Carl Lamendola
pg. 13 - Huggins & Scott Ad.
pg. 16, 18, 19 & 20: "1973 Topps Photography" by Chris Stufflestreet
pg. 17 - Collectors Depot Ad.
pg. 21 - Spence Ad.
pg. 22 & 23: "E107 Breisch-Williams" by Lew Lipset
pg. 24, 25 & 26 News and events = Hal Lewis SGC Wagner purchase and 1952 Topps Frank Campos Variation uncovering.

Good stuff. Definatley worth $20 for a yearly subcription.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Leon -
Yeah they are slammed, I spoke with them about the last few things that they still have for C4HR. Just be patient and i'm sure they'll get back to you.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me