NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
That’s a good sign....hopefully acceptance and accountability on their behalf will be coming in the near future. If they accept responsibility, admit they let the hobby and industry down, take card of the people with bad cards in holders and finally come up with a viable solution to try their best to prevent this from happening any further I will be very pleased. That would be a step in the right direction for their Brand and Industry.....I’m hoping this happens.

If they remain silent.....that’s worrisome....

There is a new moderator and he has done a good job of letting people air their frustrations.

I am not convinced this is all a surprise to many when I see countless threads about the Dick Towle's of the world.

Just yesterday the PSA awards came out and the newest member of their hall of fame has 29,000 PSA graded cards. People are entrenched in the graded card market and this recent scandal isn't going to change the trend.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:51 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
There is a new moderator and he has done a good job of letting people air their frustrations.

I am not convinced this is all a surprise to many when I see countless threads about the Dick Towle's of the world.

Just yesterday the PSA awards came out and the newest member of their hall of fame has 29,000 PSA graded cards. People are entrenched in the graded card market and this recent scandal isn't going to change the trend.
They’re entrenched in the MONEY Aspect of the graded card world. I agree with you, it’s not gonna change they trend.
If it gets hit hard temporarily I’ll use it as a buying advantage...long term will be fine.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-20-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:05 AM
David Peck

Quote:
They’re entrenched in the MONEY Aspect of the graded card world. I agree with you, it’s not gonna change they trend.
If it gets hit hard temporarily I’ll use it as a buying advantage...long term will be fine.

I don't think it is all about the money. You can have all of the money in the world and not be able to acquire certain cards.

This past week a 1953 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 9 was offered for the first time publicly the auction stated in ten years. It sold for $396,000 which seems inline with expectations I would think. That said one could sit an hope for one to come up for years and nothing and this drives prices long term.

People like to collect and trading cards is just one avenue where this can be accomplished and as I said it isn't going to change because of this recent scandal.

The PSA sucks crowd has been around for a long time and are just enjoying being more vocal at the moment but in the end people want to own the cards and will continue to fork over the bucks.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 07-20-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I don't think it is all about the money. You can have all of the money in the world and not be able to acquire certain cards.
Essentially everyone who is familiar with collecting Mickey Mantle cards knows the significance of a graded MINT 1953 Topps Mick. A masterpiece in every way, with a pop to prove it. Glad it brought a price commiserate with its splendor and stature, considering it was consigned before this latest uproar in the hobby. The opportunity to fight for a MINT '53 Topps is very seldom.

Back to my quote from your excellent post, the first card that came to my mind for a frustrated deep pocket Mickey Mantle baseball card warrior would be the unique, one of one 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mantle graded MINT 9 by PSA. It's not in the news or hobby papers, few talk about it, and frankly, it's not on the radar of most collectors.

The key word is "most". A mint Stahl-Meyer Franks Mantle is all but impossible, and a worthy epitome of this highest echelon card conundrum, among a few others. I believe the last time that world-class king-sized gem transacted was in a SCD Mr. Mint Alan Rosen phone auction in Janurary, 1988. I can assure you the humbled owner has been loving it ever since.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-20-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
almost like the stock market, just like the Messiah Brent Mastro said.