NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Default Why Trim A Card Like This?

http://tinyurl.com/cbxt3o8

I just won this Collins to replace a previously sold one that I regretted giving up. It's fugly as can be but what I wonder is why cards like this were trimmed so poorly. We've all seen examples like this so what are your guesses as to why?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Craig M

Eric,

I remember after graduating from college in 1984, I went to a local card shop and bought a dozen or so T206's and went home and trimmed them down to match the others I had. I remember the borders being over-sized and they just looked better being cut down. A college buddy that collected baseball cards also did the same so I think it was pretty common back then.

Note: Your Eddie Collins card looks like somebody tried to make it look like it was hand-cut at the factory causing it to look like it is scrap. The diamond cut was not done by the printers cut blade but done with a scissors because at close inspection the cut is not uniform. Just my opinion though.

Craig

Last edited by Craig M; 03-31-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Brandon

way to get the best offer at just about 50% of the buy it now...
Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle799 View Post
way to get the best offer at just about 50% of the buy it now...
It concerned me a bit when I saw my offer was accepted and caused me to go back and see if it was a reprint. I offered what the card was worth and in a rare ebay moment, got it.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:48 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
Eric,

I remember after graduating from college in 1984, I went to a local card shop and bought a dozen or so T206's and went home and trimmed them down to match the others I had. I remember the borders being over-sized and they just looked better being cut down. A college buddy that collected baseball cards also did the same so I think it was pretty common back then.

Note: Your Eddie Collins card looks like somebody tried to make it look like it was hand-cut at the factory causing it to look like it is scrap. The diamond cut was not done by the printers cut blade but done with a scissors because at close inspection the cut is not uniform. Just my opinion though.

Craig
Attempting to make it look like scrap is a good guess.

Last edited by Tao_Moko; 04-01-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

since it is already trimmed, and further trimming wouldn't decrease its value? would anybody trim up the sides and top nice to look more uniform?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
since it is already trimmed, and further trimming wouldn't decrease its value? would anybody trim up the sides and top nice to look more uniform?
That is an intersting question. Is altering an already altered card ok? Hmmm, I have never thought about that. I don't think I could do it myself, it is hard to think about altering a collectible from the way I bought it.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Valley Baseball Cards is one of the oldest brick and mortar stores left in southern California...the original owner Max was amazing and a great with the kids...stopped by about two weeks ago to chat with new owner (well, he has been there for about 3-4 years now but I still consider new)...the guy is also great. One of my favorite show dealers helps supplement his case with vintage material too. Highly recommended seller and store owner.

Joshua
Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Valley Baseball Cards is one of the oldest brick and mortar stores left in southern California...the original owner Max was amazing and a great with the kids...stopped by about two weeks ago to chat with new owner (well, he has been there for about 3-4 years now but I still consider new)...the guy is also great. One of my favorite show dealers helps supplement his case with vintage material too. Highly recommended seller and store owner.

Joshua
The seller in this case was great and sold me a card that I wanted at a fair price. Many would have at least thrown out the "scrap" possibility in their listing which in this case would have been an extremely far fetch and I'm happy he didn't go there. I always respect those who sell fairly and I hope to buy more from him. Thanks for putting a face with a name.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Craig M

Joshua and Eric,

By no means was I suggesting that the seller of the card made the card look like that. For all we know a young kid could have tried to make the card look better and decided to stop after not cutting a straight line on the second cut.

My apologies if I came across wrong.

"Happy Collecting"

Craig

PS: Eric, can you please report back to this thread after you get the card and tell us if that top left corner was rounded with a scissors? I can't tell from the scan. The other three rounded corners look like genuine rounding from the flipping and playing with cards of baseball men.

Last edited by Craig M; 04-01-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
Joshua and Eric,

By no means was I suggesting that the seller of the card made the card look like that. For all we know a young kid could have tried to make the card look better and decided to stop after not cutting a straight line on the second cut.

My apologies if I came across wrong.

"Happy Collecting"

Craig

PS: Eric, can you please report back to this thread after you get the card and tell us if that top left corner was rounded with a scissors? I can't tell from the scan. The other three rounded corners look like genuine rounding from the flipping and playing with cards of baseball men.
No worries. I didn't assume you suggested the seller did it. Who knows how many hands this card has been through. I was pointing out the it was appreciated that he didn't try and make it something it is not which is refreshing.

I'm with you on your initial guess though. This cut was definately not an enhancer. Will let you know when i get it.