NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
40 HR's by accident? When did I ever say that? I compared him to a guy who hit 40 home runs 3 times. Scoring runs is an ability that has almost nothing to do with the player scoring them. Yes a great base runner may add a couple runs per year over an average one, and a home run hitter obviously scores himself, but runs scored is basically an indicator of how good your teammates are.

But let's pretend I actually did say he's hitting 40 by accident. I DO know a number of players who did just that. Rico Petrocelli, Davey Johnson, Andre Dawson, Adrian Beltre, Roger Maris, and that's leaving off steroid suspects like Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez.

Note that a lot of these guys had power, but the difference between their best season and their second best season is HUGE, so I say it was an "accident," or a fluke.
Now, Scott- I always had hoped I would never see any steroid allegations or rumors linked to Luis, who led the league in Homers here in Columbus, GA while in the minors. I believe he may have 'charged something up' late in his career, but I thought that was what caused his wife to have triplets, not him to hit 57 dingers in a hot, very hitter-friendly park...of course, I could be wrong...Q: Did Boggs and Campaneris juice in their one big year?

...or did it just an anomaly?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-17-2017, 06:17 PM
Scott Russell

big difference when your one big year is 22 or 24 versus 57. I did also only label him a suspect!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-18-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
big difference when your one big year is 22 or 24 versus 57. I did also only label him a suspect!

That depends on when you did it:

Campaneris hit 22 in 1970 ; 8 in 1972 ;

never more than 6 in his other 17 years.

22 was a jump of 275% over his next highest year of 8.

Boggs hit 24 in 1987 ; 11 in 1994 ;

never more than 8 in his other 16 years.

24 was a jump of 218% over his next highest of 11.

Gonzo's totals in Arizona were:

26,31,57,28,26,17,24, & 15

57 was a jump of 183% from his next highest of 31.

So, Gonzalez's 57, while certainly not in line with his normal yearly output, was proportionally closer to that than either of the others.

As to whether or not he juiced...I don't know...I'm just laying out the case for the possibility that there were statistical anomalies.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-18-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Now, Scott- I always had hoped I would never see any steroid allegations or rumors linked to Luis, who led the league in Homers here in Columbus, GA while in the minors. I believe he may have 'charged something up' late in his career, but I thought that was what caused his wife to have triplets, not him to hit 57 dingers in a hot, very hitter-friendly park...of course, I could be wrong...Q: Did Boggs and Campaneris juice in their one big year?

...or did it just an anomaly?
Boggs put on a home run hitting show during batting practice that was amazing. He chose not to hit home runs during games to keep his average as high as possible.

If there was a way of proving it there is not a single player in the last 60 years I would bet any money on as being completely clean of PEDs during their carrier.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Boggs put on a home run hitting show during batting practice that was amazing. He chose not to hit home runs during games to keep his average as high as possible.

If there was a way of proving it there is not a single player in the last 60 years I would bet any money on as being completely clean of PEDs during their carrier.
Boggs may have been completely clean, but can you say the same for all the chickens he consumed. Just fowl play, carry on.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Boggs may have been completely clean, but can you say the same for all the chickens he consumed. Just fowl play, carry on.
I never said my all time favorite player was clean. As someone with experience in farming I can 100% guarantee the chickens are pumped full of steroids and/or antibiotics.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

That used to drive me insane about Boggs, knowing he was damn well capable of hitting for power and cutting down on his swing for the sake of his BA. My guess, of course pure speculation, is that by today's metrics he would have been viewed as a better ballplayer had he not done that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:00 PM

Ben- I've heard that story about Boggs' pre-game home run hitting before, but never had anyone say that they actually saw it. Did you?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 PM

I watched Boggs take BP while he was with the Yankees. Back then that was part of the experience of going to the game. I don't remember him hitting them any more than anyone else. The only real distinct BP memory I have is when Barry Bonds came to the stadium for inter-league play. He hit some over the bleachers back then that hit off the back wall. I'd never seen that before.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Ben- I've heard that story about Boggs' pre-game home run hitting before, but never had anyone say that they actually saw it. Did you?
I was lucky enough to see him take batting practice over 50 times easily, probably closer to 100 times. From around 1987 till he retired I went to almost every game he played in Minnesota(Twins). I always got there so I was one of the first in so I could watch BP. That was the closest stadium for me at only 600 miles round trip.

To get Aaron Judge into the post I went to my first game in many many years this year to hopefully watch Judge play against the Twins and he did not play that day.