NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-17-2017, 12:45 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

..Tony Bartirome

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-17-2017, 01:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Someday, I'm going to have that Mantle and the Mays. And the Matthews.
I have been looking for a decent/affordable Mathews since I joined the site back in Jan of 16. If I had of known better, I would have bit the bullet back then and purchased one as they seem to be steadily climbing all the time.

And, to think, my Uncle once owned one but sold it without asking me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
..Tony Bartirome
LOL.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Yeah, I think certain simple things get foggy over time, and your post hits the nail on the head. Whereas Mantles are always desired big-time because their value goes up, up, up, we can't forget that back in the day a kid's home team trumped all. As a tyke in 1972, for example, I would've given anything for a Jerry Grote or Cleon Jones card and couldn't have cared less about Aaron, Ryan, etc. Wasn't even close. Value never entered the picture when it came to my hometown Mets.
1972 was the first year that I collected. The two players I wanted the most were Ray Fosse and Gaylord Perry. Any pack that I got an Indian out of was a good pack. I still remember pulling a Fred Stanley out of the first pack that I ever bought.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Jay T.

There are still complete game footage of two games from the 1952 World Series. We have to remember TV was new, but it was quickly reaching most people. Many would go to a neighbor's house to watch. Radio, for the most part, was how most people consumed games.
It wasn't until 1953 that there was even a national game of the week on TV and that was banned within 50 miles of any stadium.
Prior to that, there were local broadcasts. If you lived in a city, you followed the local team as you had little choice.
The World Series was played in the daytime and there was no taping the games. People who worked, didn't just have a TV set in their office they could watch the game on, but they may have had a radio to listen to the game.
Sports Illustrated was even a couple years away.
This left, much of the game to the imagination of the consumers. That imagination was mostly fueled by what the press was writing. You had three major baseball publications- The Sporting News, Baseball Digest and Baseball Magazine.
Mantle was getting hype, but not nearly the hype as others.

Jackie Robinson was, for a while, the most popular as well as the most hated man in America during those years. Stan Musial was big as half the country would get his games on radio. Ted Williams barely played in 1952.
I imagine Mantle was someone that people would have wanted, however, people weren't collecting for value at that time. They collected because they wanted their favorite players. If you were young and impressionable, you may have seen your first World Series on TV that year. If you watched the World Series, Mantle probably was the guy you clung to. But another Yankee was also taking the game by storm that year. That was Allie Reynolds. He, however, wasn't a young player.
I imagine that Yogi was probably bigger and more popular than Mickey until the World Series. And given that was the time that Mantle cards were probably released, it was probably a hot card at the time.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/baseball-digest