NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default At last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always loved the 1991 Topps set for the endless variations. A few years ago, I sold ALL of my complete Topps run, but I couldn't part with my 1991 set.

But there was always one card I could never find, the Oil Can Boyd card WITH the flag tip over his hand AND the black border. I searched and searched and searched. I ripped wax boxes, cello packs, jumbos, but could never find one. I have been looking for this card for YEARS.

Not anymore. Recently, I saw two copies on eBay, and finally grabbed one. It arrived today. Of course, I showed it to my girlfriend, excitedly trying to explain (with my magnifying glass) how THIS one is different from THESE two, and it is SUPER rare.

Then I realize that she is looking at me like I have two heads.
"But they look the same."
"No, see THIS one has his hand over the flag, and THIS one has the flag over his hand, and THIS one has the flag over his hand WITH the border added back in. Look, you can see it with the magnifying glass. This one is REALLY rare."
(Eyebrow raised). "Uh, ok. How much did you pay for that again?"

So anyway, I finally found the card I have been searching for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boyd all three.jpg (24.2 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Boyd all three close up.jpg (24.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg Boyd flag under hand.jpg (10.1 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg Boyd Flag over.jpg (11.8 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Boyd flag over with border.jpg (12.0 KB, 300 views)
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 PM
Ben North

Nice pick up! I have had that exact conversation with my wife many many times,
Old 02-23-2016, 08:52 PM

Congrats! I just grabbed a copy as well. And I, too, have had that conversation " no, look, this one has an E*F* code and that one just F*". Blank stares ensue.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:30 AM

Ha! This is great! Congrats! Only us obsessed card collectors can appreciate this sort of stuff...

Ricky Y
Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Jason Presley

Great to finally nail down that one elusive card, eh?

I keep a strict separation of hobby and work/friends/family to avoid situations like that. No one understands why I collect Hensley Meulens cards. I don't see any point in trying to explain it.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Al Richter

Default 1991

Congrats on the pick up

I have that card and have always wondered if it is an after production creation, or if some of them are. Does anyone have a theory about how and in what order these three versions came about ?

Also, the backs of the 91s can be glow or no glow, bold or not bold and who knows what else. Does anyone know if each of the 3 versions of this card can be found with multiple different backs, and if so how many ?
Old 02-24-2016, 04:10 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Not sure Al. The one I had was glow & bold. I've found bold glow and non glow & non bold glow and non glow for almost all cards that have the logo. So I think there are possibly 4 versions of each card except managers, all stars, and record breakers. I've ripped every type under the sun as well. I through in a vending case to round it off. Most of the harder variations I pulled from rack packs. The vending case yielded nada, except tons of the border color variations.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Not sure Al. The one I had was glow & bold. I've found bold glow and non glow & non bold glow and non glow for almost all cards that have the logo. So I think there are possibly 4 versions of each card except managers, all stars, and record breakers. I've ripped every type under the sun as well. I through in a vending case to round it off. Most of the harder variations I pulled from rack packs. The vending case yielded nada, except tons of the border color variations.
The bold logos weren't the full set, just certain sheets.

And add to the list
Gloss that reacts slightly green to UV
Backs that "glow" a very dark red under UV - very subtle and hard to spot without a fairly strong UV source
Lighter cardstock. Still the brownish chipboard, but more tan than grayish.
cardstock that reacts slightly to UV. That one is possibly fiber transfer from some sort of white paper, but I've only found a handful.

I haven't looked at the fronts all that closely, there may be ink differences like the ones on the back.

Steve B