NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Brock

Default Bullpen Car

Hello,
My dad was telling me told how back in the 1970's teams had golf carts and the yankees had a car that would drive the players into the game from the bullpen. Does anyone know when and why they started to do that.

Last edited by yanks12025; 05-11-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM

The golf cart was painted like the Yankee uniform, white with blue pinstripes. I can't say the exact year it was first used, but I would guess around 1973. I don't recall it being sponsored by any company. The driver would make a bee-line straight to the mound from the bullpen, the relief pitcher would get out, and the driver would then do a U-turn back to the bullpen where it was parked. Yankee announcer Frank Messer seemed to have as much interest in telling the audience that the golf cart was bringing in the reliever as much as identifying who the reliever was. Phil Rizzuto seemed far less enamored with the golf cart than was Messer. The Yankee closer was Sparky Lyle. Lyle had a habit of jumping out of the cart before the driver finished approaching the mound area. Rizzuto would often comment he was afraid Lyle would twist an ankle while jumping out of the moving cart. I don't believe Lyle ever did. I'm pretty sure the cart was history by the time the Yankees made it to the World Series in 1976.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I think that every team had one of these in the '70s. Another key feature was that each cart had a roof which was the shape and exact replica of the teams' hat, propped up by baseball bats on either side.

This was another hokie fad of the '70s, and a few relief pitchers refused to partake in it. I wish I could remember who it was, but one of the key closers of the day always refused to take the cart, and sprinted in from the outfield bullpen. The fans loved him back then because it was so rebellious. I'm having a brain lapse... anybody recall who this was?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart1.jpg (37.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg cart2.jpg (73.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 05-12-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM
P.hil €lli$

Mike Marshall of the Dodgers refused to take the cart.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Clint

I believe all teams had them also. I remember the Royals having one and I thought they used it during the Playoffs with the Yankees.

I seen one on ebay for sale and I think it was the Reds cart. I'd love to have an Orioles one. Don't know what I'd do with it though.

Clint
Old 05-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Dan Bretta

I know I've seen pictures of those carts before, but really have no memory of them being in use. Doubtful the Cubs had one since Wrigley doesn't have bullpens.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Al

Default Bullpen car

The yankees started with a bullpen car in 1972. It was a pinstriped Datsun sponsored by Datsun. One of the funniest stories I remember but I had to look it up was the Seattle Mariners bullpen car. In 1982 the Mariners introduced a nautically themed bullpen car called the TUGBOAT! The tugboat gets off to a rockey start when on opening day pitcher Bill Caudill steals the keys during pregame festivities leaving the Tugboat stranded on the left field line and delaying the start of the game. Things get worse over the next few days as the mariners pitchers refuse to ride in the Tugboat.The final straw was when Ed Vande Berg sprinted in from the bullpen with the Tugboat racing along behind him. . The Tugboat lasted about a week after that before they finally gave up!