NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-23-2019, 04:58 PM

Default Mike D's 1976 Topps Binder Project

I'm hoping folks will tolerate me using this thread to track my latest project.

Inspired by a friend who is working a half dozen Topps sets of various years and putting them in binders for easy viewing, I'm going to undertake a similar project of my own.

I'm going to build a "binder set" of 1976 Topps - the Topps set from the year of my birth!

So, what is a binder set? It's got non-high end, non-graded cards, perfect for flipping through without risking any major investments.

I'll probably aim for an average of EX for the set, with a range of VG-NM depending on what I come up with. Some of these cards might be a bit dinged up. At 43, I'm a little dinged up too.

To add to the fun, I'll likely pick up graded copies of some of the more interesting stars from the set. If I get a graded copy of a card, I'll still get a non-graded for the binder, but may allow for lower grade there to help keep costs in check.

Depending on what I get for duplicates, I may even dabble in some TTM autograph chasing.

I think this will be fun. My 7 year old son will be helping me with the sorting, so it's a nice father-son project!

Now...the 1976 Topps set has 660 cards. Here is the checklist.

The biggest rookie in the set is Eckersley, with cards of Hank Aaron and Nolan Ryan among the more expensive cards in the set.

Last edited by Mike D.; 09-07-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:00 PM

A quick review of my collection turns up exactly ONE ungraded 1976 Topps card, George Brett's second year card, #19:

Other than being pretty OC, it's not in bad shape at all.

So, ONE down....659 to go! To eBay!
Old 08-23-2019, 05:04 PM

The first item I needed to procure was the binder and pages.

1 BCW 3" Black Baseball Card Storage D-Ring Album Binder & 50 Pages 9 Pocket - $23.28 delivered

25 Ultra PRO Platinum 9-Pocket Hologram Card Album PagesBinder Sheets - $7.16 delivered.

That's a nice binder and enough pages to hold the entire 660 card set (with one page to spare!)

Total spent on binder set: $30.44

Total spent on graded: $0

Old 08-23-2019, 05:08 PM

Next, to pick up some starter lots to get me, well, started. I figure I'll have a lot of sorting ahead of me, then I can start to fill in gaps.

Lot of (495) 1976 Topps Baseball Cards Avg Ex BV $410 Brett Schmidt Yount Yaz - $109.02 delivered

Hey look...it's got a Brett in it! My first duplicate!

Total spent on binder set: $139.46

Old 08-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Next up:

1976 TOPPS BASEBALL - 100 CARD LOT - ALL DIFFERENT - SEE LIST - EXC-NM - $18.08

These look to mostly be commons, but they're in decent shape and no dups!

Total spent on binder set: $157.54

Old 08-23-2019, 05:14 PM

One more lot before the big sort starts:

1976 Topps Baseball Assorted Commons Lot 289 Different VG to NM - $31.62

Seemed like too good a price to let them go!

Total spent on binder set: $189.16

Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 PM
€d M!££w00D

Looking forward to watching your progress. I collect 70’s sets and love binders. Looks like you will make quick work of this set .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 08-23-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
Looking forward to watching your progress. I collect 70’s sets and love binders. Looks like you will make quick work of this set .
I'm expecting the commons will go quickly, but the stars will take a bit longer. Ain't that always the way?!
Old 08-23-2019, 09:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
I'm expecting the commons will go quickly, but the stars will take a bit longer. Ain't that always the way?!
Unless you're me. Nearly every set I've finished the last few cards were commons, or were cards of stars that were good enough to not be in commons boxes, but not good enough for the showcase.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:43 PM
Sean McGinty

There is no more satisfying a feeling than being the collector of a set in a binder with blank pockets for cards you need to go in and then getting one of those cards and sliding it into the pocket reserved for it.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
There is no more satisfying a feeling than being the collector of a set in a binder with blank pockets for cards you need to go in and then getting one of those cards and sliding it into the pocket reserved for it.
I'm really looking forward to it. As soon as the third lot arrives, I'm going to dive in and see where it takes me!
Old 08-24-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Unless you're me. Nearly every set I've finished the last few cards were commons, or were cards of stars that were good enough to not be in commons boxes, but not good enough for the showcase.
Yeah, you may be right. I just sorted the first two lots down in 100's (the 3rd lot should arrive Friday) and I have more stars than I expected.

It'll be fun to see what's missing, what I have for dups, and which cards will need upgrades (I noticed a bunch of checklists and team cards that have been checked off - I think I'll need to upgrade those).
Old 08-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Yeah, you may be right. I just sorted the first two lots down in 100's (the 3rd lot should arrive Friday) and I have more stars than I expected.

It'll be fun to see what's missing, what I have for dups, and which cards will need upgrades (I noticed a bunch of checklists and team cards that have been checked off - I think I'll need to upgrade those).
Building sets is a lot of fun.

It's probably easier now than it used to be.
My 1988 Topps set was built from packs bought new, and big box lots. The last card I needed was Canseco. which had slid to being a 25-50 cent card by that time. Nobody would put one in the display case, and they were never in the commons boxes. Everyone had them, probably lots of them. But they were all buried in a box in the back room somewhere. And understandably, nobody wanted to mine the back room for a monster box of 88 Topps to sell one card that might not even be in there.

Finding one once I realized it was the last card I needed took 2 years... not that I looked really hard, but I did look a lot harder than I usually do.

I sort of work on all sets continually. Some I have finished, most not. I still haven't finished 1973... which I started in 1973...
74 took until maybe the late 90's and I don't have all the variations yet.
75, not yet
76 not yet
77- 83 finished!
All the older stuff I've been "working on" since sometime between late 77 and maybe 1984.

I describe my pace as glacial.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping folks will tolerate me using this thread to track my latest project.

Inspired by a friend who is working a half dozen Topps sets of various years and putting them in binders for easy viewing, I'm going to undertake a similar project of my own.

I'm going to build a "binder set" of 1976 Topps - the Topps set from the year of my birth!

So, what is a binder set? It's got non-high end, non-graded cards, perfect for flipping through without risking any major investments.

I'll probably aim for an average of EX for the set, with a range of VG-NM depending on what I come up with. Some of these cards might be a bit dinged up. At 43, I'm a little dinged up too.

To add to the fun, I'll likely pick up graded copies of some of the more interesting stars from the set. If I get a graded copy of a card, I'll still get a non-graded for the binder, but may allow for lower grade there to help keep costs in check.

Depending on what I get for duplicates, I may even dabble in some TTM autograph chasing.

I think this will be fun. My 7 year old son will be helping me with the sorting, so it's a nice father-son project!

Now...the 1976 Topps set has 660 cards. Here is the checklist.

The biggest rookie in the set is Eckersley, with cards of Hank Aaron and Nolan Ryan among the more expensive cards in the set.
I actually have several in binders. Let me know if you're interested and I can take a closer look as to what I have.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:37 PM

Three more missing cards picked up via Sportlots for $1.78:

Also sold 4 low-grade "All-Time All Star" cards for $1.99 on eBay auction.

10 cards missing

26 upgrade candidates

Total spent on binder set: $272.61

Total spent on graded: $147.63

Total recaptured via sales: $8.97
Old 11-01-2019, 06:19 PM

One more missing card filled in:

#200 AL Victory Leaders - $1.70

9 cards missing

26 upgrade candidates

Total spent on binder set: $274.31

Total spent on graded: $147.63

Old 11-05-2019, 07:18 PM

Another graded card picked up on eBay:

1976 Topps Mike Schmidt #480 PSA 8 - $36.11 delivered.

Total spent on graded: $183.74

Old 11-05-2019, 07:20 PM

Also, sold low-grade "All Time All Stars" (Wagner, Traynor, Grove, and Cochrane) for $1.99 w/ free shipping on eBay.

Total spent on graded: $183.74

Total recaptured via sales: $10.96