NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for BSelling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Rich Klein Rich Klein is offline
Rich Klein
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Plano Tx
Posts: 3,699
Default Interesting email I have not seen

Saw this post on the PSA boards:

Anyone else get the email from Small Traditions with the very disturbing content about the PSA Invitational in Las Vegas

If anyone has this email, I would love to see a copy.

Thanks!
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 01-10-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2014, 06:01 PM
trobba trobba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 532
Default

Small Traditions

Greetings from Small Traditions,



We are pleased to report that our recently concluded Inaugural Premium Holiday Auction succeeded beyond our best expectations. Please read about the record-breaking auction results in our blog entry here. As a thank you to our many consignors and customers, we are excited to extend the following free grading and review offers, the latter of which is extremely time sensitive, so please call 303.832.1975 or write info@smalltraditions ASAP, and we'll be in touch as soon as we can.



High-End Consignments Wanted for Free In-Person Reviews at PSA Invitational Event in Las Vegas



A benefit of its high volume of monthly card submissions to PSA, Small Traditions is a regular attendee at PSAs Invitational events in Las Vegas. At these events, high volume submitters like Small Traditions are able to meet with PSAs graders in order to discuss discrepancies with cards that appear to be under-graded. What most collectors dont realize about the grading process is that PSAs graders will often judge cards over-conservatively, erring on the side of caution rather than grading too liberally and thereby flooding the hobby with higher-graded cards that barely meet PSAs stringent grading standards. The truth is, however, that grading is a very subjective process, and cards that appear to be 8s and 8.5s to one grader one day may appear to be 9s and even 10s to another grader another day. This is the reality of third-party grading, and its no secret, at least not anymore. Most dealers would rather buy a high-end PSA 8 NM-MT Mickey Mantle card and review or re-grade it themselves in order to make a profit, rather than telling the cards owner that it might be under-graded, but not at Small Traditions, where the company works to maximize consignor sales in order to maximize its 15% (buyers premium) stake in the consignment partnership, and that means maximizing card grades.



The PSA Invitational event is one of the best opportunities of the year to realize successful reviews, when an under-graded card can be discussed in person and bumped to the next grading level, and Small Traditions founder Dave Thorn is currently seeking high-end cards graded PSA 9 Mint and below, which their owners feel have been under-graded, for presentation to the PSA grading staff at the next PSA Invitational, from January 15th to 17th in Las Vegas. This offer is extremely limited and time sensitive, and the deal is of course contingent on granting Small Traditions the privilege of auctioning any cards that are successfully reviewed to a higher grade. Please call 303.832.1975 or write info@smalltraditions.com as soon as possible for more information.



Consignments Wanted & Free Grading with PSA and BGS on Items Valued Over $100



Unique within the industry, Small Traditions also offers free grading with PSA and BGS on cards valued above $100 and free authentication with PSA/DNA and JSA on autographs valued above $200. Most of the items in the Inaugural Premium Holiday Auction, in fact, were graded by Small Traditions at no cost to its consignors. The company is currently seeking consignments for its January, February and March Monthly Masterpieces Plus Auctions, and it will be returning to its exclusive 100-Lot Premium Auction format in April to mark the beginning of the 2014 MLB season. Please call 303.832.1975 or write info@smalltraditions.com for more information.



Thanks, as always, for supporting Small Traditions, and happy New Year!



Best Regards,



Dave Thorn


This message was sent to rgutheil@gmail.com from:

Small Traditions LLC | 950 Lafayette St. | Denver, CO 80218


Email Marketing by iContact - Try It Free!
Unsubscribe
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 PM
slidekellyslide's Avatar
slidekellyslide slidekellyslide is offline
Dan Bretta
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,828
Default

I'd say this is shocking, but it's not.
__________________
Looking for Nebraska Indians memorabilia, photos and postcards
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 PM
sportsnbikes sportsnbikes is offline
Jeff Huerter
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 23
Default

To me it likes like another way to make money on something that has already made them money.

Last edited by sportsnbikes; 01-10-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 PM
buymycards's Avatar
buymycards buymycards is offline
Rick McQuillan
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,588
Default Well

Well, I wonder if they will be taking cards that are obviously overgraded and discussing a downgrade?
__________________
Rick McQuillan


T213-2 130 down 55 to go.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:05 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,744
Default

The email is so disturbing on so many levels. To think that anyone can "coerce" a grader completely flies in the face of the integrity of PSA, Small Traditions, and this hobby. This is akin to insider trading or early release of information to "preferred" clients in the investments world. Both are completely unethical and/ or illegal.

PSA:
"Hey graders, come to this event where you will speak w/ our most important dealers and clients. Remember they help pay our bills, so if they have an 8.5 give that card a little nudge to a 9 or 10. For your efforts, we'll fly you out to fabulous Las Vegas and get you drunk (and/or laid)."

So disgusting on so many levels. Don't give me any crap about "subjective" and "grader was having a bad day". This is flat out unethical in my opinion.

And to think that Small Traditions has the balls to email people without feeling slightly ashamed of what they are doing makes my blood boil. I'll certainly think twice about buying again from ST if every card will now be overgraded. I did wonder how their consigners were systematically getting low population 10s on some difficult (condition sensitive cards) like the '88 ProCards Biggio.

Yuck. And sadly, it is probably rampant w/ many dealers and AHs. But I now know of one to stay away from for sure.
__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 202/325 (62.2%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 110/119 (92.4%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 134/180 (74.4%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 01-10-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Rich Klein Rich Klein is offline
Rich Klein
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Plano Tx
Posts: 3,699
Default This does not bother me as muich

If you are a big customer in today's world. you expect better treatment. Perhaps you don't publicize this but do you really expect anything different.


It's part of the world in 2014 as we know it.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 PM
tyweb1 tyweb1 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18
Default

This is very disturbing. I was bidding on a PSA 10 POP 1 1968 Topps NL HR Leaders that I thought no way would ever an example be found in a 10. They even eluded in the item description about getting this card in the proper holder in a 10.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 PM
HRBAKER's Avatar
HRBAKER HRBAKER is offline
Jeff
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 5,126
Default

I'm thinking if this kind of thing really bothers you, you're in the wrong hobby.
I'm being facetious, mostly.
__________________
Check out my aging Sell/Trade Album on my Profile page

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-11-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 PM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
This is akin to insider trading or early release of information to "preferred" clients in the investments world. Both are completely unethical and/ or illegal.
+1

I don't do the graded thing, but this is a great analogy.....they're all in bed with each other.

Solution? Stop sending cards in and stop paying a premium for slabs. It's not that hard. If you lie down with dogs.....
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Section103's Avatar
Section103 Section103 is offline
Rich v@n He$$
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Denver-ish
Posts: 636
Default

Tasteless and disturbing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 AM
Cardboard Junkie Cardboard Junkie is offline
David Pierson
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kea'au, Hawai'i
Posts: 1,568
Default

"It's enough to make a man puke up his soul." James Agee.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-11-2014, 11:17 AM
4815162342's Avatar
4815162342 4815162342 is offline
Daryl
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,097
Default

Yes, they're giving that third/fourth/fifth review to top submitters, but are they also popping out cards, letting you erase that unsightly (and costly) pencil mark, and regrading it for you while you wait? I don't think so.

Last edited by 4815162342; 01-11-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM
WhenItWasAHobby's Avatar
WhenItWasAHobby WhenItWasAHobby is offline
Dan Marke1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston-area
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobba View Post
Small Traditions

Greetings from Small Traditions,



We are pleased to report that our recently concluded Inaugural Premium Holiday Auction succeeded beyond our best expectations. Please read about the record-breaking auction results in our blog entry here. As a thank you to our many consignors and customers, we are excited to extend the following free grading and review offers, the latter of which is extremely time sensitive, so please call 303.832.1975 or write info@smalltraditions ASAP, and we'll be in touch as soon as we can.



High-End Consignments Wanted for Free In-Person Reviews at PSA Invitational Event in Las Vegas



A benefit of its high volume of monthly card submissions to PSA, Small Traditions is a regular attendee at PSA’s Invitational events in Las Vegas. At these events, high volume submitters like Small Traditions are able to meet with PSA’s graders in order to discuss discrepancies with cards that appear to be under-graded. What most collectors don’t realize about the grading process is that PSA’s graders will often judge cards over-conservatively, erring on the side of caution rather than grading too liberally and thereby flooding the hobby with higher-graded cards that barely meet PSA’s stringent grading standards. The truth is, however, that grading is a very subjective process, and cards that appear to be 8s and 8.5s to one grader one day may appear to be 9s and even 10s to another grader another day. This is the reality of third-party grading, and it’s no secret, at least not anymore. Most dealers would rather buy a high-end PSA 8 NM-MT Mickey Mantle card and review or re-grade it themselves in order to make a profit, rather than telling the card’s owner that it might be under-graded, but not at Small Traditions, where the company works to maximize consignor sales in order to maximize its 15% (buyers premium) stake in the consignment partnership, and that means maximizing card grades.



The PSA Invitational event is one of the best opportunities of the year to realize successful reviews, when an under-graded card can be discussed in person and “bumped” to the next grading level, and Small Traditions founder Dave Thorn is currently seeking high-end cards graded PSA 9 Mint and below, which their owners feel have been under-graded, for presentation to the PSA grading staff at the next PSA Invitational, from January 15th to 17th in Las Vegas. This offer is extremely limited and time sensitive, and the deal is of course contingent on granting Small Traditions the privilege of auctioning any cards that are successfully reviewed to a higher grade. Please call 303.832.1975 or write info@smalltraditions.com as soon as possible for more information.



Consignments Wanted & Free Grading with PSA and BGS on Items Valued Over $100



Unique within the industry, Small Traditions also offers free grading with PSA and BGS on cards valued above $100 and free authentication with PSA/DNA and JSA on autographs valued above $200. Most of the items in the Inaugural Premium Holiday Auction, in fact, were graded by Small Traditions at no cost to its consignors. The company is currently seeking consignments for its January, February and March Monthly Masterpieces Plus Auctions, and it will be returning to its exclusive 100-Lot Premium Auction format in April to mark the beginning of the 2014 MLB season. Please call 303.832.1975 or write info@smalltraditions.com for more information.



Thanks, as always, for supporting Small Traditions, and happy New Year!



Best Regards,



Dave Thorn


This message was sent to rgutheil@gmail.com from:

Small Traditions LLC | 950 Lafayette St. | Denver, CO 80218


Email Marketing by iContact - Try It Free!
Unsubscribe

Very disturbing indeed. The bump-up game has become a lucrative business in itself (this is not news) but this organized event, in my opinion, truly undermines the integrity of third party grading.
__________________
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Last edited by WhenItWasAHobby; 01-11-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-11-2014, 04:36 PM
MBMiller25's Avatar
MBMiller25 MBMiller25 is offline
Matt Miller
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charlotte NC.
Posts: 356
Default Psa = joke

Quote:
Very disturbing indeed. The bump-up game has become a lucrative business in itself (this is not news) but this organized event, in my opinion, truly undermines the integrity of third party grading.
This email really confirms what we all know if going on anyway. It's a shame that we as collectors continue to be slaves to a plastic holder with a name on top and take it up the ass by these guys with a smile on our face. There service SUCKS! Truly it sucks! There owner is an ego maniac that has zero problem standing in front of a room full of PSA faithful and without a hint of doubt proclaims "he was one of the three present when the now famous trimmed Wagner was graded and beyond a shadow of a doubt, that card was not trimmed", yet there seems to be zero backlash when it goes public that the card is indeed trimmed! This is the only business in the world that I can think of where you get in the ass and get kicked in the balls time and time again as collectors, and we gladly come back with a smile on our face. Unreal!


And before anyone goes off on me, I am speaking squarely to myself with the statement above.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,558
Default

I think that Dave Thorn has very eloquently documented some of PSA's unethical habits. At least now the collectors who wear blinders can take them off and put on sunglasses instead.

I do not think most of us in Dave's position would have elected to document, in email, said PSA behavior, but it might have made financial sense for him, letting his customers officially know what they should already have known.

I wonder how PSA feels about the email?

Last edited by Runscott; 01-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 PM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,882
Default

This email only states what has been on the Small Traditions website under the "Cosign" tab.

http://www.smalltraditions.com/consignwithus.aspx

Quote:
Explain It To Me: How Is This Possible?

You send us your treasured $2,000 Mickey Mantle rookie card, which you think looks just about perfect. We consult over the phone and discuss the various stages and challenges to the grading process, but we agree that your Mantle RC could possibly grade as high as NM 7, and so we pay $25 to FedEx to securely ship it to PSA to undergo an initial $35 round of grading. PSA returns the card, but its only been graded PSA 6 EX-MT. We think the card has been under-graded, so we pay FedEx another $25 to send it back to PSA to undergo a $35 review. PSA returns the card, and its now graded PSA 6.5 EX-MT+, which is more than a $1000 difference over a regular PSA 6 EX-MT, but we still think the card should be a PSA 7 NM, and so we take the card with us to the PSA Dealer Invitational event in Las Vegas and debate its NM 7 merits with a PSA grader in person. The PSA grader agrees, PSA reslabs the card as a PSA 7 NMa $5,000 difference over a PSA 6 EX-MTand we then sell it in our next auction. The final bid is $12,000. Two weeks later, we send you a check for $12,000, and we keep the 15% buyers premium, which we added to the final bid, and which covers our grading and other expenses (like this website) and provides for a modest profit.
__________________
::::CENSORED::::
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM
WhenItWasAHobby's Avatar
WhenItWasAHobby WhenItWasAHobby is offline
Dan Marke1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston-area
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMiller25 View Post
This email really confirms what we all know if going on anyway. It's a shame that we as collectors continue to be slaves to a plastic holder with a name on top and take it up the ass by these guys with a smile on our face. There service SUCKS! Truly it sucks! There owner is an ego maniac that has zero problem standing in front of a room full of PSA faithful and without a hint of doubt proclaims "he was one of the three present when the now famous trimmed Wagner was graded and beyond a shadow of a doubt, that card was not trimmed", yet there seems to be zero backlash when it goes public that the card is indeed trimmed! This is the only business in the world that I can think of where you get in the ass and get kicked in the balls time and time again as collectors, and we gladly come back with a smile on our face. Unreal!


And before anyone goes off on me, I am speaking squarely to myself with the statement above.
Matt,

I think part of the problem is that many collectors play the "crack-out and bump-up game" themselves. I know one collector who has several highly ranked mid-60's PSA registry sets and about 1/3 of the PSA 9s were once 8's.

But you bring up a great point - which is really even more alarming. The bigger problem proven by myself and others is that PSA either can't detect doctored cards or intentionally allows doctored cards to be slabbed. It would be grossly naive to think the T206 Wagner was the only doctored card that originated from Bill Mastro that was slabbed by PSA.

And I agree with you again - why people tolerate these questionable business practices defies all common sense and reasoning.
__________________
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 PM
WhenItWasAHobby's Avatar
WhenItWasAHobby WhenItWasAHobby is offline
Dan Marke1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston-area
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
This email only states what has been on the Small Traditions website under the "Cosign" tab.

http://www.smalltraditions.com/consignwithus.aspx
LOL! The other way of looking at this is if I'm a bidder then I'm paying good money for a card that is likely overgraded. So thanks for pointing this out. This auction house will never get a dime of my business and from this point on the emails I receive from this outfit will go straight into my spam folder.
__________________
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 1,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
LOL! The other way of looking at this is if I'm a bidder then I'm paying good money for a card that is likely overgraded. So thanks for pointing this out. This auction house will never get a dime of my business and from this point on the emails I receive from this outfit will go straight into my spam folder.
You can certainly avoid this company if you want, but why would you assume they are the only ones getting this sweet deal? There are much bigger auction houses and dealers out there. Is there any reason we shouldn't assume other companies are getting the same sort of treatment from PSA? These other companies just aren't telling you about it in their advertising!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 PM
WhenItWasAHobby's Avatar
WhenItWasAHobby WhenItWasAHobby is offline
Dan Marke1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston-area
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
You can certainly avoid this company if you want, but why would you assume they are the only ones getting this sweet deal? There are much bigger auction houses and dealers out there. Is there any reason we shouldn't assume other companies are getting the same sort of treatment from PSA? These other companies just aren't telling you about it in their advertising!
I don't recall claiming these are the only ones getting preferential treatment but I agree with you that it is very likely a widespread problem and if you can find a list of the attendees I will certainly follow suit by avoiding those dealers as well.

What I find interesting is that historically PSA advertises that the graders never know who the submitters are. Here's a quote from their website regarding the PSA grading process:

The submissions are now assigned a generic order number, removing the identifying information from the order thus removing the potential for bias.

http://www.psacard.com/Services/PSAGradingProcess/

Also, if you read this article about the Cobb-Edwards Honus Wagner, this was supposedly the reason PSA would not grade their card:

As a matter of policy, PSA will not examine material in the presence of its owner. Cobb and Edwards refused to allow their card to be examined without their being present. Orlando told them they could fly out with their card, "drop it off and pick it up within an hour or two."

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_53.html

This whole event is extremely troublesome in my opinion and is a slap in the face of sports hobbyists.
__________________
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-14-2014, 05:35 PM
I Only Smoke 4 the Cards's Avatar
I Only Smoke 4 the Cards I Only Smoke 4 the Cards is offline
Alex
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,093
Default

Not shocked about this and personally don't think there is a problem with allowing a collector to talk to a grader. The problem is that the access is given only to big money clients.
__________________
Tackling the Monster
T206 = 213/524
HOFs = 13/76
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Deertick Deertick is offline
Jim M.arinari
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Where Forgeries Abound, FL
Posts: 1,064
Default

It won't be long before the first 10.5 grade will be awarded.
__________________
"If you ever discover the sneakers for far more shoes in your everyday individual, and also have a wool, will not disregard the going connected with sneakers by Isabel Marant a person." =AcellaGet
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM
teetwoohsix's Avatar
teetwoohsix teetwoohsix is offline
Clayton
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
Posts: 2,461
Default

Invitational event. Anyone else invited?

Sincerely, Clayton
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 PM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 1,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Invitational event. Anyone else invited?

Sincerely, Clayton
I assume there would be multiple submitters invited. Presumably a client would have to hit a certain level of submissions before they are invited. I started wondering why PSA would want to do this. Would this really be a money maker for PSA? Or is this event just considered a good will gesture for the largest customers to keep them happy and maybe a perk for your best graders?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 PM
barrysloate barrysloate is offline
Barry Sloate
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 8,291
Default

So it goes without saying that if you present a 9 to a grader at the Invitational, and upon review he feels it's a tad overgraded, he will of course lower it to an 8.5. I mean, it's only fair, right? Win some, lose some.

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-14-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
It won't be long before the first 10.5 grade will be awarded.
I laughed when I saw this, but then quickly realized PSA is the only one of the three that doesn't have a grade higher than Gem Mint... so maybe it will happen.
__________________
::::CENSORED::::
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 AM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
The email is so disturbing on so many levels. To think that anyone can "coerce" a grader completely flies in the face of the integrity of PSA, Small Traditions, and this hobby. This is akin to insider trading or early release of information to "preferred" clients in the investments world. Both are completely unethical and/ or illegal.

PSA:
"Hey graders, come to this event where you will speak w/ our most important dealers and clients. Remember they help pay our bills, so if they have an 8.5 give that card a little nudge to a 9 or 10. For your efforts, we'll fly you out to fabulous Las Vegas and get you drunk (and/or laid)."

So disgusting on so many levels. Don't give me any crap about "subjective" and "grader was having a bad day". This is flat out unethical in my opinion.

And to think that Small Traditions has the balls to email people without feeling slightly ashamed of what they are doing makes my blood boil. I'll certainly think twice about buying again from ST if every card will now be overgraded. I did wonder how their consigners were systematically getting low population 10s on some difficult (condition sensitive cards) like the '88 ProCards Biggio.

Yuck. And sadly, it is probably rampant w/ many dealers and AHs. But I now know of one to stay away from for sure.
Completely agree with the above sentiment, and felt it might be an opportune time for a bump.

Perhaps events such as the activities outlined in Post #2 will catch the eye of the FBI, as they decide where to focus their investigation. Many here have wondered whether simple ineptitude or favorable treatment are to blame for the plethora of altered cards making it into numbered slabs. In the unlikely event that Law Enforcement actually reads these threads, perhaps the aforementioned information will serve a greater purpose.

Last edited by perezfan; 09-09-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,860
Default

All submitters are equal. Some are more equal than others.

Little wonder that so few have spoken up. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, I guess.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 5,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
All submitters are equal. Some are more equal than others.

Little wonder that so few have spoken up. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, I guess.
EXACTLY!!!! Well there is also the friend factor. Meaning if you friend is the seller of altered cards then it magically becomes PSAs fault.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,882
Default

So much Corruption On Every Level.....it's all seems acceptable with no signs of slowing or change......very sad.......
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Bigdaddy's Avatar
Bigdaddy Bigdaddy is offline
+0m J()rd@N
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 765
Default

If we'd only have known about this earlier....say, in 2014 or abouts..
__________________
Working Sets:
Baseball-
T206 SLers, Virginia League; 1964 Topps Giants auto'd
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,734
Default

I just yesterday talked with a veteran collector who didn't know about the current scandal. I told him about it, and his response was "People were talking about PWCC’s altered graded cards years ago, but people on Net54 who were his customers kept defending him."

Last edited by drcy; 09-09-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I just yesterday talked with a veteran collector who didn't know about the current scandal. I told him about it, and his response was "People were talking about PWCCs altered graded cards years ago, but people on Net54 who were his customers kept defending him."
That's perhaps the biggest part of the problem.

The indisputable "before and after" images have helped to sway opinion, but most collectors still don't know the extent of the fraud. And many who DO know simply don't care, or are hesitant to acknowledge it. Those who are heavily invested in PSA slabs would rather turn a blind eye or even defend the process... with many still looking to PSA to solve the procedural and ethical issues which plague the TPG industry.

Much like asking your drug dealer to administer addiction counseling.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,860
Default

Maybe these folks can help.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-09-2019, 04:12 PM
timzcardz timzcardz is offline
T!M R10rd@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Maybe these folks can help.
Nope. Pretty sure they don't want to talk about it.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 28,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Maybe these folks can help.
There is nothing in the room to see. Really. Move along sheeple.....
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-09-2019, 04:41 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,744
Default

yikes, I can't believe I wrote that 5+ years ago...my blood still boils!
__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 202/325 (62.2%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 110/119 (92.4%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 134/180 (74.4%)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-13-2019, 09:14 AM
silvor silvor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 159
Default

So much for the graders not knowing who's cards they are grading.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-18-2019, 12:22 AM
Empty77 Empty77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 167
Default

But anyone yet noticed the possibly unfair dual criticism?: that on the one hand we complain that PSA gets so many wrong because they don't spend enough time/effort examining an individual item, and now here also complaining about a process where they are asked to take a more definitive look to get it "right".

granted not in the ideal or apparently equal manner, but it should not be disregarded that more careful attention needed when grading is a piece of the puzzle...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-18-2019, 04:37 AM
Mark17 Mark17 is offline
M@rk S@tterstr0m
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
But anyone yet noticed the possibly unfair dual criticism?: that on the one hand we complain that PSA gets so many wrong because they don't spend enough time/effort examining an individual item, and now here also complaining about a process where they are asked to take a more definitive look to get it "right".

granted not in the ideal or apparently equal manner, but it should not be disregarded that more careful attention needed when grading is a piece of the puzzle...
When a big spending submitter gets a private meeting with a grader, is it really just a cordial "Say, maybe you can spend another half minute triple-checking those corners" kind of thing?

Or is it more like "Look, we're spending $10,000 this month alone; we need this 5 to become a 6?

I don't know the answer (I don't get the special private sessions with graders) but I have to wonder why the in-person session is even necessary, after a card has already been submitted and then re-submitted.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-19-2019, 12:29 AM
Empty77 Empty77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 167
Default

I know what you mean and concerned for the same reason.

But trying to work through it logically, the big dealer/AH is going to spend the $10k anyway, since in practice PSA is the "only" game in town, and both sides know it...so since they know it, it doesn't seem like from a business perspective that PSA should be vulnerable to that sort of pressure, since they have nothing to gain (going to get and keep getting the $10k's no matter what) and can only lose longerm in the event that buyers were to catch on if their stuff seemed to tend to be overgraded.

Of course all this is just theorizing what motivates people and how they think, but the above seems right to me. If the hypothetical 5 doesn't bump and stays a 5, then what's the pusher going to do? Take the stack of $10k fees to a competitor and give them the wink-wink? Let's say that one gives the 6. We already know an SGC or BGS 6 will sell less than the PSA 5 anyway, so it doesn't increase their margin, which is why they don't go elsewhere and PSA has months long turn-around-times, and that's why it *seems* like PSA shouldn't be at that sort of friendly-overgrading risk.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-19-2019, 12:55 AM
Mark17 Mark17 is offline
M@rk S@tterstr0m
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
I know what you mean and concerned for the same reason.

But trying to work through it logically, the big dealer/AH is going to spend the $10k anyway, since in practice PSA is the "only" game in town, and both sides know it...so since they know it, it doesn't seem like from a business perspective that PSA should be vulnerable to that sort of pressure, since they have nothing to gain (going to get and keep getting the $10k's no matter what) and can only lose longerm in the event that buyers were to catch on if their stuff seemed to tend to be overgraded.

Of course all this is just theorizing what motivates people and how they think, but the above seems right to me. If the hypothetical 5 doesn't bump and stays a 5, then what's the pusher going to do? Take the stack of $10k fees to a competitor and give them the wink-wink? Let's say that one gives the 6. We already know an SGC or BGS 6 will sell less than the PSA 5 anyway, so it doesn't increase their margin, which is why they don't go elsewhere and PSA has months long turn-around-times, and that's why it *seems* like PSA shouldn't be at that sort of friendly-overgrading risk.
These are good points - You're saying that PSA has no need or desire to please any submitter, high-roller or not, with favorable grades. What you say makes sense.

I'm thinking, generally speaking, that it's usually a good idea for any company to keep its major accounts happy, and it costs PSA basically nothing when they bump the grade of an asset.

But my point is that the only difference I see between submitting and re-submitting hoping for grade increases, vs. an in-person meeting with a grader, would be to influence that grader (and, psychologically, there are many tactics that can be employed to get someone to see things "your way" that don't overtly use the scenario I suggested above.)
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 5,876
Default

Riiighttt.. as long as they still sell for more there's no problem...

The deflection and denial I've seen the last few months is more discouraging than a grading company basically letting people buy grades, or looking the other way on alterations.
I can at least understand greed, actively being an apologist for it going off the rails I can't understand.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-20-2019, 04:03 PM
Mark17 Mark17 is offline
M@rk S@tterstr0m
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Riiighttt.. as long as they still sell for more there's no problem...

The deflection and denial I've seen the last few months is more discouraging than a grading company basically letting people buy grades, or looking the other way on alterations.
I can at least understand greed, actively being an apologist for it going off the rails I can't understand.
If you are referring to my post above you COMPLETELY misunderstood me.

I will simplify: When submitters get to meet graders personally, coercion (a very bad, unethical, unfair thing) is likely to occur.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:05 PM
biohazard biohazard is offline
d.ean
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 335
Default

Wow. Surprised but not shocked. It is rather audacious for the AH spelling it out on the website. I guess that is the new transparency.

PSA touts 76 million collectibles certified! How much time is spent grading any given card? One would think PSA would want to maintain the highest standards and integrity. I don't swim at that deep end ($$$$$) of the card pool, but I do buy graded cards. I don't think TPGs are going away. When dropping major coin on a card, I would be willing to bet that the majority on this site are buying slabbed cards.

It puzzles me as to why a company would continue to test the trust of their customer base. Perhaps the card market is in a bubble, because during a bubble, people, companies, tend to lose their collective minds.

I was at show once, looking to buy a 1954 Red Heart PSA 7 Mantle. A major dealer had 3-4 of them in one of their 20-30 cases. All cards had different prices. I asked why one 7 was grossly higher priced than the other 7's.
Because, "if the card was regraded it would comeback a 7.5." Oh, really? Then walk your arse over to the psa booth and have the card regraded. Did not purchase from the major dealer and will not purchase from that dealer. Now I guess the dealer can take the card to Vegas and get the bump.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 28,130
Default

More like a 5 yrs old transparency. Nothing has or will change so it seems.

Everyone seems pretty happy..


Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
Wow. Surprised but not shocked. It is rather audacious for the AH spelling it out on the website. I guess that is the new transparency.

PSA touts 76 million collectibles certified! How much time is spent grading any given card? One would think PSA would want to maintain the highest standards and integrity. I don't swim at that deep end ($$$$$) of the card pool, but I do buy graded cards. I don't think TPGs are going away. When dropping major coin on a card, I would be willing to bet that the majority on this site are buying slabbed cards.

It puzzles me as to why a company would continue to test the trust of their customer base. Perhaps the card market is in a bubble, because during a bubble, people, companies, tend to lose their collective minds.

I was at show once, looking to buy a 1954 Red Heart PSA 7 Mantle. A major dealer had 3-4 of them in one of their 20-30 cases. All cards had different prices. I asked why one 7 was grossly higher priced than the other 7's.
Because, "if the card was regraded it would comeback a 7.5." Oh, really? Then walk your arse over to the psa booth and have the card regraded. Did not purchase from the major dealer and will not purchase from that dealer. Now I guess the dealer can take the card to Vegas and get the bump.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-23-2019, 12:30 AM
Empty77 Empty77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
More like a 5 yrs old transparency. ..
...and to clarify further for anyone scanning this thread in modernity: it's from 2014 but was revived in the past week when a post on BO forum re-discovered and linked to it...
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-23-2019, 12:41 AM
Empty77 Empty77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
But my point is that the only difference I see between submitting and re-submitting hoping for grade increases, vs. an in-person meeting with a grader, would be to influence that grader (and, psychologically, there are many tactics that can be employed to get someone to see things "your way" that don't overtly use the scenario I suggested above.)
Agree. I guess one key issue is how, in practice, does it all actually take place. So we know PSA goes to the big shows and sets up shop to do same day turn around without people having to put their precious items in the post. But does it happen as plainly as the email stated, that they "meet with graders", or was that an inarticulate and imprecise way to explain what seems more likely to me (granted just guessing and I've never been to see it): that the actual graders are behind the scenes (and chained to their chair given the quotas they are presumably forced to maintain), with the special tables, lights and magnifiers setups that are required, and it's just the front-facing staff that are receiving the submissions and making notes about whatever concerns/suggestions the submitter has.

I don't exactly like the above either, but that would not be as bad as the other visual, which is the VIP submitter actually standing over the grader while squinting through the same magnifier, with a hand on their shoulder...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-26-2019, 09:48 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 28,130
Default Crack 'em!

Sometimes when ya' sit back and think about it, resubmitting in a holder shouldn't be allowed. If you want to resubmit you have to crack it and send it in. And all submissions would truly be anonymous to the graders. Whatever it gets it gets. That would seem more arms length than submitting in a holder and not being able to go down in grade or arguing, especially in person, for a better one (admittedly I have done that and rarely succeeded . )
.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
an interesting email of fraud Leon Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 4 06-30-2013 07:09 AM
Email Warning: Don't Open any email with the title "Rob Buy" Anthony S. Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 20 09-27-2009 12:07 AM
Interesting read about a interesting subject. Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 0 07-19-2007 01:12 PM
Interesting email from REA Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 116 11-14-2006 09:02 AM
email is down Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 08-03-2006 04:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.


ebay GSB