NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Mike

Default Authentic or Not ?

Any opinions on these items that are going up for sale at a local auction ?

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/228204.aspx
Old 11-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

they use 600% magnification to authenticate their autographs, so who can argue with that?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Default Check out the other thread on Colossal Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Any opinions on these items that are going up for sale at a local auction ?

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/228204.aspx
There was recently another thread on Colossal Auctions. It would seem that the sheer number of extremely rare autographs should make you very cautious. Read the other thread for more details.....
Old 11-05-2011, 11:49 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Geez, you mean they have a LIVE auction where you can view the items in person and (presumably) come face-to-face with the CA personnel to ask questions? That's pretty ballsy given all the stuff dredged up in the other thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=142986

I thought they just hid behind their computers and lousy photos like Coach's Corner. Anyone local want to give a report from the auction?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Richard Simon

I await with interest the prices realized list.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

If I were an autograph forger, I would buy an old ball in barely beat-up shape, sign with a vintage pen that had less tendency to have the ink age (the old fountain pen signatures usually actually look old, so you can't use those), THEN I would finish aging the ball and the signatures - it would look like a kid played with it some, or let it get beat up a bit among his other things.

I guess what must have happened with these was that the balls were heavily game-used when they were submitted to the players for autographs, then the players signed their names very carefully, then the kid saved the balls from further abuse. I hate it when I go to get signatures and I plan on keeping them forever, perfectly protected, and all I have to get signed is beat-up dirty balls. At least the kid had a really nice pen with non-fading ink for them to sign with.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Pete Sycks

It's cool how they have about 20 Ruth autos. It's also nice how Gehrig / Ruth's pen pressure is identical with the same pen.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Dave

The Babe Ruth & Bobby Jones signed Golf Ball made me laugh.............just a little bit.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Richard Simon

As Mr Barnum would say today,,, there is one born every minute.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
As Mr Barnum would say today,,, there is one born every minute.
I have to thank you guys for providing the humor today - while I don't collect autographs for reasons illustrated perfectly by the auctions in this thread, it's a helluva lot of fun to laugh at this stuff. The sad thing is that some rich lawyer is taking it seriously and will have these balls sitting proudly on his mantel (or is it Mantle?) for admiring guests to gawk at while drinking $200 bottles of wine.

I think Pickles would like them.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Richard Simon

No prices realized list yet.
But this is on the website:
"Thanks to everyone who came to our auction on Sunday.
It was a wonderful turn out and a great success. Some who attended walked away with spectacular bargains."

Note their use of the less popular variety of the word turnout,,,
Would love to know what spectacular bargains were obtained.

They also announced another auction in December with more of the same.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-07-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
They also announced another auction in December with more of the same.
Keeping my fingers crossed they will offer the Pope John Paul II / Mother Teresa dual signed ball I've been searching for.