NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default DONLIN & CONNORS....from BB to Actors....any others ?

Here we have two well-known personalities, approx. 50 years apart, who started in major league BB and
went on to the Hollywood scene. Who knows what their sports careers would have been like....had they
taken them more seriously ?

"Turkey (trot) MIKE" DONLIN......
could have been one of the greatest hitters in BB. The more AB's he had in a given season....the higher
his BA.
Example......1905 he had 606 AB's with 216 Hits for a .356 BA. Donlin's lifetime career BA = .333

However, he preferred to be a dashing and flamboyant figure in the NY Showbiz scene with his actress
wife (Mabel Hite) during the years he was with the Giants. In 1914 he went to Hollywood and appeared
in many silent movies. A heavy drinker, one of Donlin's great friends and drinking buddies was renowned
actor John Barrymore.

[linked image]

KEVIN JOSEPH ALOYSIUS (CHUCK) CONNORS......

An all-sports athlete, Chuck had a taste of MLB (Dodgers and Cubs)....the NBA (Celtics)....the NFL (Bears).
However, he found his calling in Hollywood (when he was playing BB in the PCL); and, the rest is history.

I met Chuck at a BB card show in 1989. We talked BaseBall and Movie stars for about an hour. A really fine
gentleman with a great sense of humor.

[linked image]

So, can you come up with other BB players, who went on to other successful non-sports careers ?

Do tell or show us of them ? ?

TED Z
Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Sean Brennan

Here is turkey mike in The General. Ernie Orsatti did stunt work for Buster Keaton including some fancy motorcycle work in Sherlock Jr. There is a cast and crew picture from Free and Easy that shows him with Buster but I cant seem to find it

gen-table.jpg
Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Bob C.

Default From BB to Actors

You've missed probably the best known of all ballplayers to also work as actors. Johnny Berardino is the only player to have won a World Series (Tribe in '48) and also have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Besides being in various movies, bit parts in various early TV shows, and even supposedly being in some of the Little Rascals shorts prior to his playing days, Berardino is probably best known for his 33 year stint as Dr. Steve Hardy on the soap opera General Hospital (1963-1996).
Old 07-08-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Walter Rehg

Walter Rehg was an actor after his career. He was a great PCL player who also had some time in the majors who loved Hollywood so much he stayed there after his playing career and appeared in several movies. After his looks and fame faded he stuck around and did the lighting for movies as an electrician for the studios until his death.

Rhys
Old 07-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Default Anson

I believe that Cap Anson toured on the Vaudeville circuit for some time after the conclusion of his playing days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chi9.JPG (24.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg connorsnat.jpg (62.5 KB, 148 views)
Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default BobC

I didn't miss Johnny B....I just didn't want to monopolize this thread with all my posts.

"Here's Johnny"......from the 1948 Cleveland Indians team photo pack.

[linked image]

Thanks for your post.

Best regards,

TED Z
Old 07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
qualitycards

If allowed some latitude, here are 2 Presidential letters sent to Chuck Connors that I have.

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 07-08-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Ken C

Thanks for posting your 1952 MC Chuck Connors card. I have many of the cards in this issue,
but the Connors card has eluded me.

And yes....Cap Anson was probably one of the first BB players to seek the lure of the footlights.
Anson made his theatrical debut in 1895 while in the twilight of his BB career. His first vaudeville
show was a "flop". And, I don't know how well he fared in his subsequent gigs.

Best regards,

TED Z
Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Ty Cobb

Appeared in a play entitled The College Widow.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 PM

There was a guy named Cy Malis who did some bit acting. He pitched one game for the 1934 Phillies. Besides that, he founded Narcotics Anonymous. Not a bad career!

Jophrey Brown became a Hollywood stuntman.

A guy named James Donaldson Brown apparently acted in some silent films.

An even more obscure player named George Crable was on the Vaudeville circuit.

I think Hal Chase might have done some Vaudeville as well.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jay Wolt

Thanks for sharing your Presidential letters written to Chuck Connors with us.

If you have any more Connors related stuff, please post it.

TED Z
Old 07-09-2009, 08:33 AM
qualitycards

Ted, not much else to show except an auto 8 x 10
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Paul

Default Uecker and Marquard

Of course Bob Uecker, if we were getting more recent.

But for vintage, the following is from my Rube Marquard article, which was printed in SGC Collector Magazine a few years ago and is available on my website:

As was not entirely uncommon for baseball players in the early part of the 20th Century, Marquard spent three years on the vaudeville circuit. In fact, he was once married to famed vaudeville singer Blossom Seeley. And Marquard also starred on the silver screen. In 1912, Marquard was featured in a movie with Alice Joyce entitled Rube Marquard Wins. According to a review from Motion Picture World dated August 24, 1912 (available on-line at http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat/AJ...ts1912.htm#rmw), Joyce, playing herself in the movie, helped foil a plot to imprison Marquard in order to prevent him from pitching in a decisive game.

From Autographed T206

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Some of the more obvious "actors": Babe, Mickey, and Roger.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jay Wolt......re..Chuck Connors

Part of my conversation with Chuck (20 years ago), we talked about one of my favorite Western movies, "The Big Country".
He played a real bad dude in it; and, he told me of some great stories regarding the filming of it.

I have a favor to ask of you....when you get a chance, please email me at......tedzan11@comcast.net

Thanks,

TED Z