NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: should a seller refund a buyer even though there was a tracking number showing scans?
Yes the seller should refund even though it's usps fault 64 64.65%
no, the USPS made the mistake and not sellers fault. 35 35.35%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Zach

Default paying for USPS fault

This has not happened to me yet as a seller, so I am simply asking because I have always wondered what others think about what a policy should be if a seller ships out an item with a tracking number, and scans are shown as moving through sort facilities then the item suddenly falls off the face of the Earth and is never delivered. Let's also say that the seller used the exact correct postage amount, packaged it right, and shipped to the correct address that was provided and did absolutely nothing wrong. Also I am not including situations where there was never a scan to any delivery facilities, in that case a refund I think should be issued, so let's leave that issue out.
Do you think the seller should be responsible to refund the money in this situation, even though it is clearly the post office's fault? Does the seller have a moral obligation to issue a refund even though they are not at fault? Poll attached
Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Of course. Until the goods are delivered to the buyer it is the seller's responsibility to fight with USPS (after giving a refund).
Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Mike

One Word: Insurance
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Chris

Depends. Did this happen to me as a seller or as a buyer?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Jeff Sherman

Default First eBay negative....

... this weekend because Paypal/USPS gave me a tracking number that wasn't correct or link-able, and the USPS picked up (and lost) the package.. 9 years of perfect feedback, gone in an instant....
Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here is my take on it. IF the buyer and seller didn't talk about insurance at all then it is on the seller to get the package to the buyer, period. Just as it is on the Buyer to get the money to the seller. It doesn't matter if it's WWIII, the seller has the obligation to get the buyer his card. Now, if the buyer was offered insurance and turned it down then that is another story. I voted no on the refund but am not sure I didn't get it twisted around? So, I actually do think the seller should give a refund if the buyer never got the goods, regardless of who's fault it is, UNLESS the buyer turned down insurance. If nothing was said, each party should be obligated to the other party for their part of the deal.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Its the sellers problem, the buyer purchased a card that did not arrive. Seller could have purchased insurance if they wanted to cover any possible shipping issue. Mail does get lost and will sometime show up down the road, its happened to me twice, I once had cards show up that I purchased 8 months prior that were lost, I have sold and refunded only to be contacted by the buyer 5 months later that they showed up and they sent them back to me. I think the USPS does a good job as these are the only 2 times I have had this happen to me from over 2000 transactions.

To me I see it as the risk you take as a seller and its your choice if you want to buy insurance to cover that risk or not.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan View Post
... this weekend because Paypal/USPS gave me a tracking number that wasn't correct or link-able, and the USPS picked up (and lost) the package.. 9 years of perfect feedback, gone in an instant....
You may want to try and get the buyer to revise his feedback, if it means a lot to you. You could offer to send him something to compensate him for his loss of time and show him how he can revise the feedback.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamealreadytaken View Post
Depends. Did this happen to me as a seller or as a buyer?
+1

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Joe M.

I require insurance on items over $50.00, otherwise I am responsible as a seller.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Usps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardTarget View Post
Of course. Until the goods are delivered to the buyer it is the seller's responsibility to fight with USPS (after giving a refund).
+1. Legally the transaction is not complete until the buyer takes receipt. All that garbage sellers used to toss up in eBay about not being responsible for loss/stolen items, or if insurance not taken wouldn't hold up in any dispute if it ever came to that.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Can UPS really ask you to identify what was in an insured package when you file a claim? It seems like if they sell you the insurance they are accepting coverage for any damage to that package, regardless of whats inside.

Last edited by packs; 09-04-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

As a seller, this has happened to me several times where the package just disappeared off the face of the earth.
That is why I insure most cards that I ship. I don't ask the buyer whether they want insurance or not, I just insure it to protect myself.
After settling with a buyer, I always ask them to notify me in the event that the package arrives after they collect the insurance claim. As of today, I have never heard from a buyer stating that.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Bruce C@rter

I would NEVER ask a customer of mine to ever pay for something he did not get. It is my responsibility to get him what he paid for. If I feel insurance is justified then I get it and figure the amount in the price. Insurance is for the seller not the buyer. If you don't work that way then customers will start avoiding you as a supplier. JMO
Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Can UPS really ask you to identify what was in an insured package when you file a claim? It seems like if they sell you the insurance they are accepting coverage for any damage to that package, regardless of whats inside.
There are a laundry list of exclusions and you are expected to know them prior to shipping. I have often had UPS, Fed Ex and the USPS ask me what it was I was shipping/insuring. IF it is on the no no list, most clerks will deny the package.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Can UPS really ask you to identify what was in an insured package when you file a claim?
Absolutely and they will also ask for proof of value, like a print out of the E-bay auction page or an invoice, etc.

Been through this many times at my job.