NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default Fun With Set Building...67 Topps

So a couple of weeks ago I began my dive into the 1967 Topps set. I had put this set off after I painfully put the 66 high series to bed and at the time didn't want to go thru that again. Now I am ready...so I thought I would share a couple of the fun "wins" we all get when we start. Like most here, I purchase a few lots, sort them, and start from there. I started with only about 10 random stars I had for a while (Ford, Aaron, Mantle, etc...). I ended up with 4 really nice large lots, all cards in EX or better...just great lots. (Thanks Scott (sgd57)!!)

After all the sorting and bindering them up...I got online and googled all the variations. I am not a variation collector, but if I end up with any in my lots, I keep them. I have found error/variation cards in 55s & 69s in the past this way, and do love having them. I am sure if the day ever comes where my Topps run is complete, I will probably start looking for those like some here. Fun down the road. Well, I was fortunate to find a couple!

Here is the first - the Paul Shaal "green bat" variation. I don't think it is that rare, and in all the lots I only ended up with 1 card...so it's the only card I own -

Up next is the Jackson/Wilson "line variation". Notice the black line on the bottom of the stat line is missing, and one is present. I was lucky enough to get both for this one -

Lastly I was nicely surprised to see both variations on the Mike Ryan. Notice one has a "dot" on the "i" in the signature, the other is missing.

Again, all new to me and it doesn't look like they carry much premium but fun to find both cards on the variations in the lots. 67 seems to have quite a few fun things to look for!

Up next I went to my local card shop who to my surprise had a really nice selection of 67s. I LOVE this shop, but his vintage is hit or miss and he prices everything at Ebay or lower, so it moves. If you see something you like, you better get it, it certainly won't be there long. For this reason you never know where he sits with vintage commons...the vendor box had abut 1500, more than any other year. I as able to find 80 cards needed (could have grabbed another 20 or so but left them behind due to lower condition). He had them priced at .75 apiece, which is excellent.

Now here is the cool part...I was able to find 7 cards in the high series. He also had a poor Maury Wills I left behind (DANGIT!) and two of them show up on the SP list. First up is card 591, Ty Cline...nice card for 75 CENTS!! I love these finds...makes it fun -

The other SP was the Sandy Alomar. The card does have a crease in the upper left hand corner, so I will have to replace soon. But for .75 cents I wasn't passing it up. Great holder...and actually for a high SP a great card...

I was also able to pick up 3 checklists (Clemente, Marichal, Kaat), 4 Leaders, several team cards, several combo cards (Kaline, Killebrew, Colavito, Mays, ect) and minor stars/HOFers like Mazeroski, Wilhelm, Mathews, Stottlemeyer, and Niekro among the 80 cards.

After only a couple weeks I am off to a great start, 487/609, with a good blend of needs through the high series. Eyeing a couple Carews and Seavers and learning the hard SPs (knew about the Brooks, found out about the Tommy John and Mickey Stanley to name a few, lol). Having fun...this is what its all about for me...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 01-02-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 AM
Richard A.

Wow, 487 / 609. That's a heck of a "start". Assuming the scans you posted are representative of the grade you're collecting, that's going to be a really nice set.

Nice thread, too. Fun read for me. I love reading about people's pursuit of various Topps sets -- especially when it's in the context of a lengthy run of sets.

Good luck with the rest of the set.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Default 67

Nice work John! I have put that set together so I know how tough it can be. You are off to a great start! I am not a variation collector either but your post might motivate me to look at my set a little closer!

That Alomar card is a tough one and an absolute steal at .75!!!

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 01-03-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Al Richter

Default Other 67 oddities

Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Bob F.

Al,

What's the variation on the Bob Johnson card?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Al Richter

Default Bob J

Print defect, red bar/ line down left side
Old 01-05-2014, 02:22 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

That's funny...I was going to ask the same question. Just checked my 3 Bob Johnsons...no red line. Thanks for the scans Al!

Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Jason

I've been trying to get that Maris Yankees proof for quite awhile now. Its a toughy and rarely offered. Luckily I picked up a Seaver RC yesterday, just to tie me over.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Richard D

Default '67 oddities

Nice thread, I've added 2 to my list. Here's a link to my listing of oddities for the 1960s Topps...

https://sites.google.com/site/richar...ns-1960---1969

Check it out, I'd love to hear from others who have something else I can look for.

Richard D
brightair@msn.com

https://sites.google.com/site/richarddingmancards/home
Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Rick Seuferer

I have never seen anyone refer to the print defect on #234. There is a white slash through Sandy Koufax's first name. It seems to appear on about 10% of cards.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Just a little update on my 67 Topps quest...

I am now at 556/609, it's coming together much faster than I anticipated. Not getting much luck at a show and the local shops on the High numbers as can be expected, so mostly relying on Ebay. There have been a couple of nice high grade set breaks in the last month, and as expected the competition is fierce. Got some great deals, and mostly got my butt kicked. Here are a couple scan of some victories (not my scans) -

Having completed the 66 Topps set it is pretty natural to compare the two. So far my findings are the 66 is a bit tougher. All the 67 High numbers are pretty readily available with some of the DP's downright cheap and were easy to pick off. Doing the 66s there were often times some of the cards were not even present on Ebay, something very rare (Peranoski and Mahafey come to mind). The bigger challenge are the big three, Seaver RC, Carew RC, and Brooks. I did pick up a poor Brooks at a local shop for $8 (two creases) but I don't consider that part of the set. Just couldn't pass it up to have on in hand, lol. With those big three, there are plenty out there, just deciding which one to buy and trying to wait out a great deal. So ease of getting the cards is easier for 67, but the cost may be higher than the 66s.

I also picked up another variation...the Mays Checklist. Got it for very cheap, I don't think the seller knew the difference. That gives me 4 variations...when I complete the set I may go after a few more.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:17 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Got this in the mail yesterday...the last HOFer I needed outside the big three high numbers. Super clean and crisp Carlton...had to sort thru a lot to find just the right one...the scuff on his arm is the scan, it's not on the card itself...

Last edited by Harliduck; 01-31-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 PM

Default Checklists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Just a little update on my 67 Topps quest...

I am now at 556/609, it's coming together much faster than I anticipated. Not getting much luck at a show and the local shops on the High numbers as can be expected, so mostly relying on Ebay. There have been a couple of nice high grade set breaks in the last month, and as expected the competition is fierce. Got some great deals, and mostly got my butt kicked. Here are a couple scan of some victories (not my scans) -

Having completed the 66 Topps set it is pretty natural to compare the two. So far my findings are the 66 is a bit tougher. All the 67 High numbers are pretty readily available with some of the DP's downright cheap and were easy to pick off. Doing the 66s there were often times some of the cards were not even present on Ebay, something very rare (Peranoski and Mahafey come to mind). The bigger challenge are the big three, Seaver RC, Carew RC, and Brooks. I did pick up a poor Brooks at a local shop for $8 (two creases) but I don't consider that part of the set. Just couldn't pass it up to have on in hand, lol. With those big three, there are plenty out there, just deciding which one to buy and trying to wait out a great deal. So ease of getting the cards is easier for 67, but the cost may be higher than the 66s.

I also picked up another variation...the Mays Checklist. Got it for very cheap, I don't think the seller knew the difference. That gives me 4 variations...when I complete the set I may go after a few more.
John,

Do you have scans fo the checklist variations? What are the differences? Thanks.

Z Wheat
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Z Wheat...

Here are my two cards...

You can see the neck on Willie is different, and on card number 214 one says "Dick" and one says "Tom". A really neat variation!

Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The '67 set really has a great group of variations. From the missing stats cards to the wide variety of checklist anomalies and everything in between. Good stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Al Richter

Default 1967 Variants

Zach--Richard ( brightair), who posted earlier, included a link to his great site on 60s variants. It lists both the well know and little known stuff. The 3d CL is has been best known in the past by the differences in # 214, but I agree with John that the Mays photo is more dramatic

Carlton Miller has convinced me that there is a variant of every single Topps CL in the 60s and early 70s. Some are just subtle cropping differences resulting from the fact they were usually DPs. I have most done but still trying to find a couple

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-01-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Erik

John, great job. What a great set. Maybe Don Joss (DJ's) might have a few more for you soon as well.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Heading to DJ's this morning! I love supporting Don...one of the coolest guys I know...

Old 02-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Erik

Quote:
Heading to DJ's this morning! I love supporting Don...one of the coolest guys I know...
I hope it is a worth while trip for you. If I am ever in Washington, I definitley want to stop in his shop. As I have told you before, I have ordered cards from him on the phone and yes, a great guy in every sense of the word.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:15 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
I hope it is a worth while trip for you. If I am ever in Washington, I definitley want to stop in his shop. As I have told you before, I have ordered cards from him on the phone and yes, a great guy in every sense of the word.
It was a great trip...I picked up 118 71 Topps in EX. 65 that I had on my "upgrade list" and 53 that I needed. Down to needing 15 for the set! The 71s I have been "chipping" away at mostly, not much focus. With 752 cards and all those hi #s it's been tedious to say the least. Anyhow...picked up some 63 Topps stars as well getting ready for my next challenge. Love that shop...one of the RARE ones for sure...

Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Erik

Quote:
It was a great trip...I picked up 118 71 Topps in EX. 65 that I had on my "upgrade list" and 53 that I needed. Down to needing 15 for the set! The 71s I have been "chipping" away at mostly, not much focus. With 752 cards and all those hi #s it's been tedious to say the least. Anyhow...picked up some 63 Topps stars as well getting ready for my next challenge. Love that shop...one of the RARE ones for sure...
Excellent John. I am envious you are so close to the shop. I am always checking his web site.

Congrats on the pick ups.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:35 PM

I remember collecting '67's as a kid. Here in St. Louis the 7th series was plentiful but the 6th series was nowhere to be found . . . at least around my neighborhood. I sent away for the 6th series from Larry Fritsch. Got it for a few bucks. Since it didn't arrive until after the baseball card collecting season, I just put it away without much handling. And that's the way they've stayed ever since.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 View Post
I remember collecting '67's as a kid. Here in St. Louis the 7th series was plentiful but the 6th series was nowhere to be found . . . at least around my neighborhood. I sent away for the 6th series from Larry Fritsch. Got it for a few bucks. Since it didn't arrive until after the baseball card collecting season, I just put it away without much handling. And that's the way they've stayed ever since.
Very cool!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:00 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Well...down to only needing 19 more. Knocked off most of the big ones. Those that have done this set know I got some tough ones to go. Mike Shannon, Joe Niekro RC, Maury Wills, Rocky Colavito, and Norm Cash to name a few.

I did get all the tough team cards...starting with Red Sox...A TOUGH ONE, wow. These are not my scans, but the scans from buying them. Sorry if they are big...

Here is another tough one...happy to get him -

I did get my Carew RC too...just need to get a scan. Here is my Seaver again, maybe my favorite card in the set aside the Killebrew.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:41 AM
Erik

Way to go John!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Nate Mack

Default The tough high numbers

Ok guys!

I too I am jumping into the 67 set after finishing off the 66 set and all those tough high numbers. If one of you kind folks wouldn't mind giving me a list of the tough high numbers so I can be on the lookout I would be grateful! I know that some of the sps are tougher than others just like the 66 set.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Nate Mack

Currently working on:
53 Topps, 61 Topps, 52-55 Redman, 47-66 Exhibits, 53 Bowman color, 52 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, 64 Topps Stand Ups

My trading page:
http://natesbaseballcardtradingco.weebly.com

Last edited by NateMack; 02-24-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Nate...good luck with your quest! I too did 66 first, and still think that set is harder to complete, although with the Carew/Seaver/Brooks the 67s no doubt have some bigger cards to pony up for. Cost goes to 67, lack of availability goes to 66, at least in my experience. Also, it took me 8 months to do my 66s...and I will be done in half the time with my 67s. That is hardly a barometer, I certainly got some lucky breaks on my 67s.

Again, I am no expert, just fresh in the chase. Here has been the hardest 67 hi numbers to locate and have extra cost attached that I have found -

(I'll mention I am judging this by looking for the best deals on EX cards, anyone can simply go buy all the BINs and be done with it. The challenge is setting goals on cost, and fighting for victories)

535 Don Clendenon (Availability)
540 Norm Cash (Availability, Cost)
544 Indians Team (Availability)
558 Orioles Rookies (Availability, Cost)
560 Jim Bunning (Availability, Cost)
567 Steve Hamilton (Availability)
569 Carew RC (Cost, there seems to be plenty available)
570 Maury Wills (Availability, Cost)
576 National L Rookies (Availability, Cost)
580 Rocky Colavito (Availability, HIGH Cost)
581 Seaver RC (Availability, HIGH, HIGH Cost)
587 National L Rookies (Availability, Cost)
595 Cookie Rojas (Availability in EX, Cost)
600 Brooks Robinson (Availability in EX, HIGH Cost)
604 Red Sox Team (Extremely Tough to find in any shape, HIGH Cost)
605 Mike Shannon (Availability, High Cost)
607 Mickey Stanley (Availability, High Cost)
609 Tommy John (Cost)

I am sure I may have got lucky on some that are harder for others...and I may not be lucky where others came easier...just my experiences and I hope that helps! I have certainly enjoyed this set a ton...

Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Nate...one more thing...there are 13-15 hi numbers that are MUCH UNLIKE the 66s and are relatively cheap. I assume they are DP's and are readily available for $3-5. There was no such cards in 66, lol.

Also, the 6th series in 66s are MUCH harder than the 6th series in 67. The 66's seemed to cost twice as much and were harder to track down.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Nate Mack

Default Thanks John!

Thanks John for taking the time! Looking forward to getting another set in the works! The 66 set took me a long time to finish, but I did have some restrictions on the money I could put up so I had to do more digging, which in a sense made it even more fun to do the "digging".

I did find a Grant Jackson #591 in EX shape for $20 at a card show, that was probably the highlight of the 66 set in my experience!!

Currently working on:
53 Topps, 61 Topps, 52-55 Redman, 47-66 Exhibits, 53 Bowman color, 52 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, 64 Topps Stand Ups

My trading page:
http://natesbaseballcardtradingco.weebly.com
Old 03-02-2014, 12:40 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Only a few more left!

If anyone has an extra Maury Wills or Jim Bunning laying around please PM me...THANKS.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Al Richter

Default Cookie

Seeing that card made me want to post this

Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Well...that was a hell of a ride...finished up my 1967 Topps set tonight. Purchased my final card, #560 Jim Bunning. Tough to find in the right shape and the right price.

Feels really good to have now the 66 & 67 together. I also now have 64-90 complete. On to the next challenge!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Well...that was a hell of a ride...finished up my 1967 Topps set tonight. Purchased my final card, #560 Jim Bunning. Tough to find in the right shape and the right price.

Feels really good to have now the 66 & 67 together. I also now have 64-90 complete. On to the next challenge!

Wow what a beaut to finish it off! Congrats!

Ricky Y