NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
IMO this Goldin guy was just an easy target for these "hobby crusaders". Just take a look at the topic vintagetoppsguy started... a pretty big deal if you ask me... you can hear crickets in that thread.
Ummm, not really. This thread has 278 posts in 9 days. That's about 31 per day. The PSA thread started by vintagetoppsguy has 78 posts in 2 days. 39 per day.

Sounds like both of these important topics are getting plenty of coverage / visibility as they should. I completely agree that that topic is a huge deal.

jeff
Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 PM
$cotty @.utin

Ken,
Nice items in the preview. I would recommend getting a scanner as the pictures of the Jordan AMEX look amateur-ish

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 09-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotan_02 View Post
I would recommend getting a scanner as the pictures of the Jordan AMEX look amateur-ish
There are some for sale here:

http://www.hsn.com/electronics/_c-ec...p&sf=EC&osf=EC

Last edited by Rob D.; 09-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:41 AM
bubblebathgirl

Default Shilling & Transparent Bidding

Ken Goldin, what specifically are you doing to prevent shill bidding from occurring on your auction site?

From what I can tell yours is just like all the others where anyone can bid up items to give a false impression of value so that the real buyers are worked.

You need transparent bidding if you're going to change anything.

Last edited by bubblebathgirl; 03-23-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Ste.ve Ga.les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
neat pic from the website
A pic of the guy who bet on baseball and lied about it, and a pic of the SAH snake oil salesman who also lied about what he was selling. Ironic don't ya think??

Last edited by brian_winters_fan; 03-24-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:15 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Ken actually told me on the telephone the other day that he and the others involved really did not need the money. They just really wanted to do this. So I guess he does love the hobby. Sounds like he was born to have his own auction house!

Does make me wonder about the ethics of the other people who are involved with him. No way his partners cannot know about who this guy is, is there?
Great point!
Old 02-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Classic thread. Pretty interesting in light of the release of the Mastro list.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:23 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Ken actually told me on the telephone the other day that he and the others involved really did not need the money. They just really wanted to do this. So I guess he does love the hobby. Sounds like he was born to have his own auction house!

Does make me wonder about the ethics of the other people who are involved with him. No way his partners cannot know about who this guy is, is there?
The real funny part bout that statement is "he and the others involved really did not need the money"
Old 02-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Thanks for bringing up this thread again.
I wasn't a member then, but was there for the Don West, Ken Goldin times on SAH. I bought a "Blue Chip Special" and returned it the next day. Total crap.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Seems those that predicted that 'Stuff Will Trump All' back then despite rather sketchy past associations have been proven right. Turns out there was more sketchiness yet to be uncovered. Just goes to show if OJ Simpson could still run for touchdowns there would be fans lining up to cheer for him and is Bill and Doug left prison today used a prison shank made from his toothbrush to fix a corner on a Mantle rookie and then put it in a PSA 8 holder and there will be collectors climbing over themselves to bid.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:23 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
seems those that predicted that 'stuff will trump all' back then despite rather sketchy past associations have been proven right. Turns out there was more sketchiness yet to be uncovered. Just goes to show if oj simpson could still run for touchdowns there would be fans lining up to cheer for him and is bill and doug left prison today used a prison shank made from his toothbrush to fix a corner on a mantle rookie and then put it in a psa 8 holder and there will be collectors climbing over themselves to bid.

+1

lmfaaaaaaaoooooo
Old 02-27-2016, 10:30 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengoldin View Post
To comment further and a last time on the SAH stuff. I first called into SAH in 1995 I believe. I last called in 2002. I, like many, thought Don West was funny and almost thought he was putting on an act, which to a degree he was. I was told that is what their audience liked, they were the ante-QVC, which is a soft, non value sell. I imagine while I was doing it I did not take it seriously enough. At the time it was kind of like a comedy show, it was parodied often on SNL, as well as Opie and Anthony show. In the 11 years since I have called into SAH, I have been divorced, remarried, had 2 daughters, and found my love again for what started me in this hobby when I was 11 years old, vintage cards and vintage memorabilia. I started by traveling to shows, buying and selling with my father, Paul Goldin, who many of you knew if you were around in the 1970s and 80s. I still have a vast collection and have been building on it the past 10 years . Yes, the new stuff for the most part is crap that will not be worth much in the future.
Yes, SAH was over the top. Yes, SAH in the majority of instances sold product for way too much money (keep in mind as a retailer however, they sold product for double what they paid, meaning the vendor got ˝ the amount, or LESS then the price you saw on the screen). I wish I could say it wasn’t part of my past, but it is. I apologize for using the words ‘that’s how it was done’ and I have edited that out almost immediately out of the post. I am sorry for the word choice of my original posting, and as stated, as someone who understood the business very well, I was doing well enough by just selling to the soft cell QVC. I should never have stooped to the hard sell SAH method of doing business and I am sorry it happened. I know many hobbyist hated those shows, and I know many people loved them. I know the dealers that were providing me with product loved me. The people that hated the shows have always been the most vocal…and relentless. My point in the earlier post about mentioning QVC was only to point out that as an individual, I was able to adapt my ‘pitch’ to the network. One wanted a high energy, over the top performance, the other wanted an informative, no hype, no value driven soft sell. In hindsight I should have let SAH sell the product and not participate and wish I did not. At this point, when I turn 60 , 70 and even 80 to some I will always be known as the guy who used to call into SAH.
Hopefully to many of you I will not be remembered that way, to some I will, no matter what good I did in the past and do in the future. I will have to live with that. Just like I had to live with losing $1 million plus on Mark Mcgwire product (most of which I still have in inventory) because I did invest in the product I sold, and did get killed when he fell off the map and later had steroid controversy. To address one last question that was raised, on post 48 I outlined my departure from SB in 1997, as well as fact that I was not with the company when redemptions were due (including the Wagner card) so I cannot answer as to the outcome that John White CEO of SB did with the card. The company had run a similar promotion with a 52 topps mantle when I was there in 1996 and everyone got their cards, including the 52 topps Mantle that was given away. Also, with regards to authenticity question raised just above this post, I refer you back to my post #46. And I will repeat, there were 6-8 vendors to SAH…I just happen to be the most well known. With respect to autographs I constantly emailed SAH that they need to be careful who they purchased autos from, as they were buying from people who were not experts and not providing good certs…I purchased several items from them with ‘Howards sports collectibles’ certs to see what customers were getting, and then would send them to SAH management telling them I did not think it was real. . Again, all I ask is fairness. If I was not the vendor who sold a given product, I cannot take blame for that product. Just because it was sold on SAH does NOT mean the company I worked for was the vendor.
I wish the best of luck and collecting to all of you, even the negative posters, and hope at some point in time in the future you will look at Ken Goldin as the person who brought athletes to the masses, the guy who signed Shaq exclusively, and hopefully, the guy who always delivers great auctions and great products. I am available by PM or email if I can help any dealer or collector in any way, but believe my days of posting and reading this is over.
This appears to be an appropriate time for a reread of this post
Old 02-27-2016, 10:44 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengoldin View Post
Greg
thank you for at least taking the time to read everything. I re-read my original post and edited it to reflect a more accurate statement, as the wording may have been poor with respect to SB certs, this is listed below. I have ALWAYS gone out of my way, on ebay, and with hobby dealers (and quite frankly anyone who bothers to call me and ask me a question, or email me) to inform them of what to look for when buying SB product to make sure they buy the real thing, I continue to do so to this day, and will continue to do so in the future.
As far as the auction, i believe what i have stated, the people involved, our product and our policies speak for itself. I am well aware that every auction house is going to be scrutinized till the ends of the earth forever, and am happy that we will be conducting our FIRST auction in 10 weeks, so we can learn from other's mistakes. Rest assured, all parties involved like their lives and are not going to do anything to jeapordize themselves, their careers, or the business.
At this point, I will let everyone come to their own opinion, and let time be the judge. I am available for questions by email or PM, but I think i have had more then my share of the 'public forums' for a while.

"around 92-93 to combat these problems SB started marking its autographed items with a mark that was detectable under UV light. In addition, it began to mark its certs with a hidden water mark as well. 100% of the certs that are REAL and have the name 'ken goldin' have this mark. If it does not have the mark, and has the facsimile of Ken goldin, it is a fake cert. SB did not publicize this fact because it wanted to stay 1 step ahead of the forgers. It told its customers but did not point out where the water mark was, it what it was. I have , however, made dealers and press (example an interview i did with TJ Schwartz 2 years ago where he mentioned that SB certs and items were marked...but did not mention where or how) are of this."
In hind site this is a beauty 2
Old 02-27-2016, 10:44 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Seems those that predicted that 'Stuff Will Trump All' back then despite rather sketchy past associations have been proven right. Turns out there was more sketchiness yet to be uncovered. Just goes to show if OJ Simpson could still run for touchdowns there would be fans lining up to cheer for him and is Bill and Doug left prison today used a prison shank made from his toothbrush to fix a corner on a Mantle rookie and then put it in a PSA 8 holder and there will be collectors climbing over themselves to bid.
+2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .jpg (40.2 KB, 598 views)
Old 02-27-2016, 10:51 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

[QUOTE=kengoldin;1024221]

FROM POST #223

"I have spent the past 10 years working law enforcement and hobby members to police the industry of these forgeries. I have worked with others in the industry to try to make people aware of fakes, clean up EBAY, as well keep people informed of what an athlete signed under his SB contract"

Maybe its time 2 work with law enforcement again in regards to cleaning up the hobby sum more?
Old 02-27-2016, 11:44 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

The first paragraph of this article explains a few things

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...ctionscom.html

Last edited by WindyCityGameUsed; 02-27-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:11 AM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Last edited by WindyCityGameUsed; 02-28-2016 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Bad Link
Old 02-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityGameUsed View Post
The first paragraph of this article explains a few things

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...ctionscom.html
Boy does it ever...

Ken Goldin can trace his sports memorabilia empire back to when he was 12 years old and fleeced a buddy out of his baseball card collection – swapping $50 worth of miniature racing cars for thousands of dollars worth of cards.

Goldin insists neither of them knew the value of what they were trading.

Even at the early age of 12 he was taking it to people. Did not matter that it was a friend. I guess Ken would tell us that is just the way it was done back then.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:11 PM
David Hernandez
Banned

Its interesting that a person would plead his case publicly like this and it comes back and bites him in the a$$. Shades of Justice Robert Bork during confirmation hearings. In all honesty I did not know this thread existed and kind of shocked that Big Boss Kenny would take his case to the public airwaves. Amazing how he tries to rationalize his past indiscretions as how things were. So were we suppose to hand out that free pass? I guess some did. What about now in light of the recent findings? SMH

Last edited by dhernandez; 02-28-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhernandez View Post
Its interesting that a person would plead his case publicly like this and it comes back and bites him in the a$$. Shades of Justice Robert Bork during confirmation hearings. In all honesty I did not know this thread existed and kind of shocked that Big Boss Kenny would take his case to the public airwaves. Amazing how he tries to rationalize his past indiscretions as how things were. So were we suppose to hand out that free pass? I guess some did. What about now in light of the recent findings? SMH
Since I posted Goldin Auctions was an advertiser, as the second post in the thread, I guess I should also say that as of today they are no longer an advertiser here.

I should add this wasn't any type of punitive decision. It's only best they don't advertise and both parties are in agreement.

Last edited by Leon; 03-02-2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 02-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Matt Payne

The best part of this vintage thread is shill bidders attacking other shill bidders and vice versa.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:19 PM
David Hernandez
Banned

We live in a capitalist society if you think about. Its competition going against competition ie/ Verizon vs All the others
Old 03-01-2016, 08:27 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Quote:

IMO thats always whats said when they come a courting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-3-Wise-Monkeys-Today.jpg (74.0 KB, 476 views)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:33 AM
David Hernandez
Banned

Confucious say: Never write long sentence bleed diatribe manifesto when years down the road it can come back to haunt you.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:59 PM
David Hernandez
Banned

Quote:
IMO thats always whats said when they come a courting
Lol.... shades of Mr.Muggs!
Old 03-02-2016, 08:58 PM
David Hernandez
Banned

From the list thread the name Darryl Abramowitz kept tying in with the author of this thread. Is he known in the hobby? Just curious if anyone knows. Maybe Google will reveal some clues.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Hi David,

There is quite a bit to be found on Darryl Abramowitz on Google. You should check it out. Enjoy your reading.

Greg
Old 03-05-2016, 09:49 AM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Hi David,

There is quite a bit to be found on Darryl Abramowitz on Google. You should check it out. Enjoy your reading.

Greg
Greg, I'm and not sure if its the same guy but saw a article of a Darryl A from New York area involved in scandal to sell stuffed animals to Walmart. What is your thought on that? Someone sent partial article. Do you have link?
Old 03-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Mike,

Here is an article http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/12/ny...e-attempt.html on a Darryl Abramowitz out of New York who was arrested by the FBI regarding a Wal-Mart scandal. Not sure if this is the same Darryl Abramowitz who is associated with 23Kt Gold Collectibles, Ltd.

Greg
Old 03-07-2016, 07:56 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Mike,

Here is an article http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/12/ny...e-attempt.html on a Darryl Abramowitz out of New York who was arrested by the FBI regarding a Wal-Mart scandal. Not sure if this is the same Darryl Abramowitz who is associated with 23Kt Gold Collectibles, Ltd.

Greg
Greg does 23Kt Gold Collectibles deal in sports mem?
Old 03-07-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhernandez View Post
Its interesting that a person would plead his case publicly like this and it comes back and bites him in the a$$. Shades of Justice Robert Bork during confirmation hearings.
This is a vintage baseball card website and most of us think it's good form to leave our politics at the door--whether about Judge (not "Justice") Bork or Verizon or the evils of capitalism or whatever. This Board is replete with highly informed people right, left and center who have enough respect for others to leave gratuitous partisan and ideological jibes to other venues. Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited by sreader3; 03-07-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
Greg does 23Kt Gold Collectibles deal in sports mem?
Mike,

It appears the company has a license to manufacture modern or commemorative cards much like one of the ventures of Scoreboard.

Greg

Last edited by botn; 03-07-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
This is a vintage baseball card website and most of us think it's good form to leave our politics at the door--whether about Judge (not "Justice") Bork or Verizon or the evils of capitalism or whatever. This Board is replete with highly informed people right, left and center who have enough respect for others to leave gratuitous partisan and ideological jibes to other venues. Thanks for your consideration.
You seriously want to try and deflect while lecturing people on what they should and shouldn't be discussing on a OPEN Forum?

This as you are well aware of has absolutely nothing to do with politics and everything to do with relevent past on the record boastful comments and in the news court documents that many individuals apparently don't have the courage or decency to address by going on the public record for fear of reprisal.

Yes this board is esteemed and much of the conversation is in regards to vintage baseball cards but this hobby as your well aware of has other venues as evidenced by the memorabilia/game used section at the top of this site.

The entire hobby has been and continues to be negatively effected by yet ANOTHER SCANDAL and the lack of integrity/ethics by many of its key players.

If you want to talk about the facts of this discussion than fire away but if your on some PC discounting agenda you might be better served heading to Washington and hanging with the rest of the politicians.

The wheels of justice turn slow but in time we will all get to watch many more self important individuals in the industry do their own version of the perp walk
Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 AM
C@rl P@rk

In case anyone hadn't seen this in awhile...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/65921

Last edited by KingFisk; 03-11-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:35 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post

That was great.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:55 AM
David Hernandez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisk View Post
in case anyone hadn't seen this in awhile...

hhahahahahahahahahhaha thanks ! Accurate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shn.jpg (69.2 KB, 303 views)
Old 03-13-2016, 09:44 AM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Dave Spot On LMAO!!

All that was missing was the wacky 3-stooges crank calls
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kultaid1.jpg (41.2 KB, 300 views)
Old 03-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Jeff

Art imitates life.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 AM
Richard L.

LMAO...it's not that much of an exaggeration
Old 03-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
LMAO...it's not that much of an exaggeration
Not true. There were only five cards on my Shaq Plaque.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:14 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
not true. There were only five cards on my shaq plaque.
hahahhaha
Old 03-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post

That was great, Carl!
I've never seen that before.

Was that Robert Downey Jr. on the far left?

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post
That was great, Carl!
I've never seen that before.

Was that Robert Downey Jr. on the far left?
Glad you enjoyed. And indeed, that is Downey on the left. This clip never gets old, especially after watching some vintage Don West on YouTube...
Old 03-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
You seriously want to try and deflect while lecturing people on what they should and shouldn't be discussing on a OPEN Forum?
He is not trying to deflect anything. He is trying to keep politics out of this discussion.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 PM
David Hernandez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
He is not trying to deflect anything. He is trying to keep politics out of this discussion.
I really don't see how this is politics when the original poster stated his "reasons/rational" for doing the show in the first place. Which really doesn't jibe
Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 AM
David Hernandez
Banned

Clowning on Clown College at its best! NO DOUBT!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:41 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

i am actually quite surprised SNL did this bit. Hilarious and spot on
Old 03-19-2016, 08:59 AM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Saf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aghagagg.jpg (65.3 KB, 201 views)
Old 03-19-2016, 08:25 PM
"The Real" Ron Kosiewicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
i am actually quite surprised SNL did this bit. Hilarious and spot on
A leopard IMO doesn't change its spots brody
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painted.signs.jpg (17.6 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg f-stooges7.jpg (41.7 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 7cbd3bafad748b9f3c35187d0cbaa224.jpg (11.4 KB, 177 views)
Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 PM
David Hernandez
Banned

"Why I outta......!!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aclown.jpg (49.8 KB, 168 views)
Closed Thread