NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-05-2015, 01:33 PM

Default Was given a card ... Need help

Was given a card in a will.

Not claiming anythingg just need help.

Can someone pm me.

Also have no ibterest in selling either way.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Ben North

If you post a picture I am sure many of us could help you.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Chris

Yea, would be very happy to help out as would a lot of others. Will need to see a photo first though. What info are you looking for?
Old 04-05-2015, 02:20 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

He wants to know if the card is real. I just received a PM from him. I told him to post here.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Chris

I figured as much and can probably answer without even seeing it.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Al Richter

Default Esate Plans

Chris---did someone leave you one of them as well ?
Old 04-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Chris---did someone leave you one of them as well ?
Haha, my grandfather gave me a card once that he found in an old house. A beater 70s Topps card that he pulled out of his wallet and handed to me. Thankfully he is still alive. If I wasn't there I would assume the card was fake though as I am a perpetual cynic.

OP, feel free to PM a picture to me if you don't feel comfortable sharing and I'll weigh in with an honest opinion.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 04-07-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Steve

Default I see little, but perceive much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I figured as much and can probably answer without even seeing it.
The direction of this thread reminds me of the old Johnny Carson routine, in which Karnak the Magnificent, given a cryptic "answer" clue by Ed McMahon, would rip open the envelope and amazingly reveal the question begged by the answer.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

trimmed. ; )
Old 04-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

its one of them Hocus Pocus cards or Topps Magic.
Hard to tell with the 'invisible' ink.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:00 PM

hey guys - sorry I don't come on this forum very often...

The card in question was a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle RC - A lot of eyes went on this card and no one could tell if it was real or not, too close to tell. Lota of late night text messages with very willing members. My uncle was a wealthy lawyer and spent his money very wildly. This was possibly given to him when a client owed him money or purchased in a bar.

I sent the Mantle off to SGC and just got word that it is 100% in fact a 1951 Bowman Mantle. I will most likely be holding on to it for a little while. Eventually it may find itself into someone elses collection, maybe not.

I may even grace you guys with a photo someday. Thanks
Old 04-21-2015, 04:19 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
let me grace you first...

and since it sorta looks like the 51...

Last edited by begsu1013; 04-21-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:45 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Anyone wanto to hear a joke??

Quote:
This was possibly given to him when a client owed him money or purchased in a bar.

A guy walks into a bar carrying a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle.........ouch!

Quote:
hey guys - sorry I don't come on this forum very often....

So what are you sorry for?

Quote:
I sent the Mantle off to SGC and just got word that it is 100% in fact a 1951 Bowman Mantle. I will most likely be holding on to it for a little while. Eventually it may find itself into someone elses collection, maybe not.

In fact there was some previous speculation it might have been a 1975 Mickey Rivers or actually only 50% in fact a 51 Bowman Mantle- good thing SGC confirmed it to be 100% in fact a 1951 Bowman Mantle. I wonder if eventually will be in a few hours?

Quote:
I suppose this will happen when we are deemed "worthy".

My mind will not stop - too many places to go with this. Somebody else please chime in with something else amusing!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:02 AM
Chris

Nothing amusing to chime in with but I'll repeat my assessment that it is likely fake.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Al Richter

Default Willing

Howard-- your attitude indicates you were not deemed to have the willing eyes necessary to see the card. If you want late night messages with pictures of it improve your attitude

As for me, as a retired lawyer, I am just hoping for no rich lawyer jokes. Lawyers do not think lawyer jokes are funny, and no one else think they are jokes
Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
As for me, as a retired lawyer, I am just hoping for no rich lawyer jokes. Lawyers do not think lawyer jokes are funny, and no one else think they are jokes
When you were practicing, did you often get paid in baseball cards and/or pick them up at bars? I have yet to have a client send me a card.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
The direction of this thread reminds me of the old Johnny Carson routine, in which Karnak the Magnificent, given a cryptic "answer" clue by Ed McMahon, would rip open the envelope and amazingly reveal the question begged by the answer.
Karnak: "Hi diddle diddle....." McMahon now laughing and repeats " Hi diddle diddle..." Karnak gives annoyed look at McMahon, rips the end of the envelope and pulls out the note card and reveals the message - " How do you greet your diddle diddle first thing in the morning" . McMahon now roars with laughter.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 04-21-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm a lawyer and I think lawyer jokes are hilarious. At least the funny ones are.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Karnak: "Hi diddle diddle....." McMahon now laughing and repeats " Hi diddle diddle..." Karnak gives annoyed look at McMahon, rips the end of the envelope and pulls out the note card and reveals the message - " How do you greet your diddle diddle first thing in the morning" . McMahon now roars with laughter.
I remember that one - June of 1968, I think. Those were the days. I'll bet Carson liked lawyer jokes, divorced three times in a community property state. I wonder if the thread will ever be "graced" with a scan of the card in question.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
I remember that one - June of 1968, I think. Those were the days. I'll bet Carson liked lawyer jokes, divorced three times in a community property state. I wonder if the thread will ever be "graced" with a scan of the card in question.
I was channel surfing and stumbled across an infomercial selling Carson's shows in a dvd set. One clip had Carson do a magic trick for a boy who was about 6-8 years old. Carson liked magic tricks, and he put a quarter in his own hand, showed it to the boy, and through slight of hand made the quarter " disappear ". The kid was amazed, and excitedly said, " how did you make the money disappear "? Carson did not miss a beat and said, " You get married three times ". Too funny! McMahon, of course, roar's in the background.

Must be nice stumbling onto a Bowman rookie Mantle card, found in dad's/granddad's closet or where ever it was. Chest of drawers, the attic, the basement, closets, briefcase, envelopes, tin cans, it's amazing where rookie Mantles turn up. It's almost like it's too good to be true.....

Last edited by KCRfan1; 04-21-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I was channel surfing and stumbled across an infomercial selling Carson's shows in a dvd set. One clip had Carson do a magic trick for a boy who was about 6-8 years old. Carson liked magic tricks, and he put a quarter in his own hand, showed it to the boy, and through slight of hand made the quarter " disappear ". The kid was amazed, and excitedly said, " how did you make the money disappear "? Carson did not miss a beat and said, " You get married three times ". Too funny! McMahon, of course, roar's in the background.

Must be nice stumbling onto a Bowman rookie Mantle card, found in dad's/granddad's closet or where ever it was. Chest of drawers, the attic, the basement, closets, briefcase, envelopes, tin cans, it's amazing where rookie Mantles turn up. It's almost like it's too good to be true.....
Card was actually displayed on his desk where he practiced for probably 25-30 years. He always had it in a 1.5 inch thick mint maker case. I always urged him to send it in but he never was concerned. I had a feeling it would become mine. He also had 2 ruth balls, a 36 yankee ball and many other mantle cards. He also had 2 children and many other nieces and nephews. I was lucky to get one piece from him. I will be forever grateful.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Sadly, human nature tends to make us jump to conclusions that may or may not be true. I am certainly at fault in this area, make my share of mistakes, and this appears to be one of them. I apologize to you for jumping to a conclusion that I should not have went to. What you have is an item, regardless of value, that belonged to your dad, and will provide you with memories for the rest of your life.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

I, for one, would still like to be "graced".
Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Sadly, human nature tends to make us jump to conclusions that may or may not be true. I am certainly at fault in this area, make my share of mistakes, and this appears to be one of them. I apologize to you for jumping to a conclusion that I should not have went to. What you have is an item, regardless of value, that belonged to your dad, and will provide you with memories for the rest of your life.
It was my uncle but thanks.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

this will probably come off in a negative tone, but:

your uncle had other cards and mantles, however had the 51 rook sitting on his desk for years and you wound up with it, not his kids?

grace!

Last edited by begsu1013; 04-22-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
this will probably come off in a negative tone, but:

your uncle had other cards and mantles, however had the 51 rook sitting on his desk for years and you wound up with it, not his kids?

grace!
His two kids got everything my man. They are my first cousins, grew up together. They each got a couple hundred thousand (cash and items)... like I said 2 ruth balls, a 36 yankee ball and tons of other cards... I know there was a 53 mantle in there as well.

I used to bring my friends from 4th 5th 6th grade to his office downtown just to go see the real deal rookie card. The year topps did the mantle reprints that everyone was chasing I was 11 or 12. I would take my friends down there on our bikes just to see the card. He knew I loved it.

His house that they are selling is on the market for 500k and the office building he owned is on the market for 725k....

I'm sure they aren't butthurt that he left me a card that I admired as a child that they know I will keep AND is worth nothing compared to his fortune left.

And his kids one male one female... do not care for sports whatsoever. So take it for what thats worth.