NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay account comprised

Posted By: Randall Adams

It finally happened, I got the dreaded "your account may have recently become compromised" email message from Ebay. Any advice as to what to look for after I change my password as far as any thing else that may have been compromised?

TKO NOTICE: A28 eBay Password Reset - ????? Follow Instructions Immediately

Dear ?????,

It appears the password for your eBay account may have recently become compromised. As a result of this, we have reset your password and secret question.

To regain control of your account, please complete the following:

1. Change the password on your personal EMAIL account to verify that it is secure and cannot be accessed by anyone other than you.
2. Change the password on your eBay account. To do so, click the "Forgot your password" link on the eBay sign-in page and change your password using the instructions provided.
3. Follow the steps below to secure your account:
> Click on the "Security & Resolution Center" link found at the bottom of most eBay pages.
> Click on the "eBay Account Protection" link in the "Online Security Resources" box. This will take you to the help page titled "Securing Your Account and Reporting Account Theft."
> Follow the instructions provided under "Securing Your Account".

Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

There are a million scams like this...Open a completely new browser and try to login and see what happens....

Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

if it wasn't compromised, it is now. NEVER respond to these emails or log in thru them. They are harvesting your user ID and password.

If you get an email like this and want to see if in fact there is a problem, open a new web page and type in Ebay's web address and go to your My Ebay page, if you can get in with your normal password and ID you don't have any problems, if not you do.

Scott

Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean BH

To me it sounds like the e-mail is a scam...I would go to My eBay by typing http://www.ebay.com in the address line and see if you can log in and change your password that way.

The links in these e-mails usually is a way to steal your password and get your information by directing you to a site that looks like eBay.

Sean BH

Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

Probably a scam to get you to enter your info so your account will then be really compromised.
Never click on or respond to anything in these emails .
Open a new browser window and log into your ebay account..if there is a real message from ebay, you will see it in your messages.
Alan

Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

It was legit, I could not log in until I changed my password and I also had the message in "My Messages" folder. Believe me I never go to any links in email messages. So it was either a false alarm or somebody guessed my password, not sure how ebay would know this though.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Just got off the ebay live chat and my account was compromised, unfortunately they don't give out info as to how they were able to determine how it was done.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: D.C. Markel

This very same thing just happened to me. I couldn't log on to eBay early this morning and never replied to any phishy e-mails either. When I went into my e-mail account I got that same message from eBay about my account being compromised. The e-mail was sent around 2:00 am. I went on to eBay and went through the steps to obtain a new password and generated a new one. It appears that nothing was hacked.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

I received the message from ebay at 12:30 am eastern. Was your password fairly easy to guess? My password was pretty basic, I wonder if somebody used a dictionary attack to guess passwords.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tyler

I recently had trouble as well and was asked by eBay to change my password. I did and everything was fine for 2 days, then I wasn't able to log on again. I was asked to change my password again. I did so, as well as participate in an online chat with one of eBay's reps and they assured me that now everything would be fine. Sure enough, nope. Eventually I just started a new eBay account, I couldn't deal with the wasted hours dealing with online assistance and missing out on deals because I couldn't log on.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

Last year my account was compromised and I have no idea how. I was looking at buying a boat and I found two that I liked. I was watching both boats in my watched items and before I knew it somebody had placed bids on one of the boats. I saw the bid before the auction ended and luckily somebody had already outbid me. Then I noticed that somebody was selling two Rolex watches using my account. Luckily the auctions were still going. I contacted eBay and they cancelled the auctions and everything was fine. But, eBay never told me how somebody obtained my information.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

This article is kind of dated but interesting:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NEW/is_2002_April_2/ai_84872844

Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D.C. Markel

My password wasn't very basic - it was a combination of letters and numbers. I think the problem is that I used this same password on about six different internet sites - which I know is not recommended, but it's a pain remembering six different passwords.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...forward these e-mails to spoof@ebay.com. THey'll tell you if it's real or not.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I had this very same thing happen to me about a month ago. It was legit and my account had been compromised. I too never and I mean never click on any of those emails. When I was talking to the person at Ebay about it they said it is possible it could happen from spyware on your computer. It was a vrey scary situation but all in all nothing happened.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

To anyone who "has no idea" how his or her online account could be compromised or isn't sure how to choose a password that has the best chance of not being compromised or is apt to fall prey and click on a link within an e-mail, go out and buy the September issue of Consumer Reports, (no I don't work for the company.) It contains good, basic information on how to safely use the Internet. It's not that hard and shouldn't feel intimidating. All it takes is a basic education and less than $100 or so to equip your computer with the right antivirus and antispy software.

It's well worth the investment of time and money, especially considering how many on this forum wouldn't think of spending that much money on a baseball card before doing the right research and educating themselves. So why should using a computer/the Internet be any different? And even if you don't want to spend the money, at least spend some time and educate yourself on what to look for in the way of scams.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Good virus, anti-spyware and firewall software a must along with using different passwords, as annoying as it may be. I use a common password for sites like this were nothing can really be compromised, but anything that involves my money, each site has it's own unique password. Better safe than sorry.

I've been online since 1987 and only had one virus, the Thankgiving Day virsus from 2001. I got it from my brother of all people. Norton had not yet done an update to block it, so it got through. I was actually impressed by that virus as it went through your sent mail folder, attached itself to one of those emails and made look like it was part of a continuing correspondence. Very sneak and it worked well.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.