NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Default This must be a REGISTRY IDIOT

Posted By: Jantz

"It looks like the only fool involved in this auction was me."

Did you see that sledgehammer coming?

Jantz

Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Who cares how long you have been collecting? I don't.

What does that matter? That make you some sort of big shot?

Your elitist attitude stinks.

FWIW I have been collecting longer.

I'm done with this thread only bad feelings will endure from it.

Steve

Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

James you have a company? That is great, congratulations. You were the one that made the remark about me selling the card at my table for $500 and I answered. I didn't call you a chump directly but you obviously felt it was poked at you. If the shoe fits? I just came on here to bark for awhile so please forgive me. Everyone here has a lot to offer the collecting community and I just feel left out as I just do not have anything to offer so I have to bark a bit. Intoxicated? Is my grammar ok and my spelling?? Thanks for responding. Dan.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Perhaps the high bidder is the guy with all the high grade tatoo orbits on ebay right now (bennett coin and stamp) - including this lindstrum in NM:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150078640676

Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

I hope you feel better Steve. The fact that you don't care is meaningless to me as well. Take Care. signed, Big Shot

Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Guys, Dan was venting. He should be able to vent. He didn't start this thread attacking anyone on the board. Can't the guy complain?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Dan,

More accurately, I do work for the company, and I am sure you know who I'm referring to. You are definitely trying to provoke some ill-will, so good night. I will say I am dissapointed, I know of your reputation and knowledge, experience and collection, but that means little right now.

James

Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Administrator

James my friend, you have lost me and I have no idea what company you are talking about, sorry. No ill-will. You made the comment of me selling the card at my table and I answered. We are good as far as I am concerned. Dan.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

ok I managed to piss off a few strangers to me so I hope they will forgive me in the morning. Thanks for listening guys and chiming in. I actually had fun here tonight! Thanks Leon. And a very special thanks to the gentleman that parted with his UJ Lindstrom for me and made my night complete! There really are some true good Joe's out here. I hope I can return the favor to another collector sometime in the future. Signing off, Dan.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I forgive you Dan.

I also hope you get the next one too.

Steve

edited to add: Nothing to really forgive.

oops sounds like you did get one?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

You got a Lindstrom after all, Dan? Congrats!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Thanks Steve, no hard feelings here either! I appreciate the forgiveness. Heck I ain't all bad. (No comment Leon). Steve you have a great evening and rest of the week. Dan.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Once again peace and harmony returns to Net54!! Nice pick-up Dan maybe if you post the last 2 cards you need someone else might come thru for you!! You never know. LOL

Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Al you are a genius! Great idea! Leon may bar me for this as it is not the buy, sell, wanted thread. So how many of you have ever seen a Coch ran or have taken a nice date to a ball room Vance?

Darn mispellings, I must be intoxicated.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Wow. I had a Cochrane, but some collector of raw cards just offered me $2,000 for it.

-Al

Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

This will only hurt Dan LOL, but I like the guy he is one of the best folks I know in the hobby. Always a gentleman and one heck of a collector, with an amazing collection to boot.

The man is just blowing off steam, cant blame him either….

Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

No question it absolutely sucks beyond belief to get smoked on a card you need for a set. Especially if you set a crazy snipe and lose it anyway.

-Al

Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

LMFAO!!!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Dan,
Why, after you realized that this had nothing to do with either the PSA or SGC registries, did you continue to blame it on registries and graded cards and those brainless people with endless money who participate in them and are destroying the hobby. It seems that the only logical deduction is that there were several other collectors with interests and motivations like yours. So you got outbid on a card. It happens to me all the time. Having been in the hobby a long time (I went to my first card show in 1979) does not entitle me to anything. And I certainly don't berate a pseudo-class of collectors when it happens. I don't mean to pick you out, but I get tired of all the negativity and name-calling around here. That is what will destroy the hobby.
JimB

Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Administrator

I’m just amazed how some folks who work for auction companies will throw down even if provoked with customers on this board. Even me, if I worked for an auction company I wouldn’t be having verbal war/shots with the very customers that paid my bills, no matter how much they ticked me off and were wrong etc.

The only posts from me would be here’s my next auction hope you bid….

Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

the funny thing is even dans insane bid(in his mind) was way short. don't be fooled, of course, this is a registry thing, look who's bidding,and check out the prices for those slabs!

http://tinyurl.com/2dh86h

Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I like baseball cards.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Jim, I went through the post quickly this morning but I don't see where I continued referencing a registry person after Scott told me there wasn't one. Registry was probably the wrong word but a person who would pay much more for a slabbed card I guess. You are correct though, no negative vibes are good and I just needed to vent. As you stated, I lose many auctions myself. This one just set me off as I am so close to the set and I am a set collector. I can assure you that I won't destroy the hobby but that the hobby will destroy me. Even if you just started collecting yesterday your collecting habits are your choice and I really shouldn't criticize anyone's just because they are different from mine. I meet tons of nice new young collectors at my table each show and as I do not agree with the grading part, each new collector is different in their own way. And I must state that the last 3 years have provided the NICEST people I have met in a long time! So thanks again for letting me unload here last night and a little this morning and please remember that I ain't all bad. Well maybe I am. For the record, this was the 2nd time I lost this darn card. Kevin Savage auctioned one that I got squashed on about a year ago and that also fueled the fire a bit. And Jim, I don't take your poke at me personally, I do here what you are saying and it is very logical. Take care my friend, I am off to a golf trip. God am I bad at golf! Dan.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Administrator

I guess now would be a bad time to mention my new ebay handle is "sstango".....

Old 03-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Deleted

Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Dan,
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I agree; many of the relatively newer people I have met in the hobby have been some of the nicest. Hopefully I will see you at the National.
Best,
JimB

Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

<<I guess now would be a bad time to mention my new ebay handle is "sstango"....>>

Wonka, this is my smile of the week .

Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Dan is, if not the nicest, then one of the nicest guys that I have ever met in this hobby !!! He is total mensch !!!

Alan

Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Seidler

Why are people so upset about how much someone spent on a card or a slab? If the person has the money they can spend it however they want.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Who knows? Maybe coin collectors collect Uncle Jacks too!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator

"No one cares about the money spent as long as the auction was legit. "

Toby, I disagree with your post. Some people are upset that registry guys are buying cards and driving up prices. Their perception is that the registry guys care less about cards than they do.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

I too have the impression that Registry guys, by and large, care more about the grade than the card. They pay stoopid money for that PSA 8, enter it in the Registry, and put the card away probably without ever really having looked at it.

I don't collect that way and I suspect that most here do not as well. If I buy a card, be it an 8 or a 3, I do so because I want the card and want to enjoy it not because it increase my position on the Registry..

Old 03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator

"They pay stoopid money for that PSA 8, enter it in the Registry, and put the card away probably without ever really having looked at it."

I think that's an easy assumption to make. But I don't think that's the case for everyone. I'm sure there are a ton of PSA 8 collectors that look at their cards all the time and care just as much about their cards as the PSA 4 collector, I know a few of them.

The assumption that "they" care less than "I" is a justification, a crutch, that people use to reason why they aren't getting the cards they want...and heck, its always fun to blame someone else when we lose out on something, isn't it?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

the auctions appear to be shilled because a whale was bidding. we can not say for sure but the winner of 3 of 4 auctions does not seem to buy cards and lets be realistic,why would someone start out with an uncle jacks candy as a set to begin baseball card collecting (more suited for the likes of dan mckee). maybe the seller thought dan is a whale too, & was going to start a registry set.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

Who hasn't been frustrated by losing a card be it raw or graded because someone could and did bid more than they were willing to. There is no right or wrong here. This is a part of what the hobby has become, it's evolution and investing has always been a part of any hobby. Who can say that these people are or are not collectors, obviously they are collecting something - high grade cards. Somebody does not have to collect what I do and the way I do it for them to be a collector. Is it frustrating - yeah, sometimes. But I am not going to question their motives or whether they are a collector or not. If I lose a card, I deal with it and move on. Now, if the auctions were subject to shilling, that is another matter entirely!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I don't know about you guys, but I can state, for a fact, that each and every time I lose an auction it happens because some IDIOT decides to grossly overpay for that card!

By the same token, every time I win an auction, it's because I, shrewdly decided to outbid someone by just one little bid increment!

This little rationalization helps me cope and get by until the next auction. I know exactly how Dan feels.

Richard Pryor used to say that "cocaine" was God's way of telling you that you had too much money. I think he meant "vintage baseball cards".

Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Glad I was sitting down when I read this thread.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

this thread is funny...

Old 03-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey

This was an interesting read. Very Emotional, lots of action! And I think I learned a little more about what to look for when bidding.
It almost makes me think that bidding on these cards is a sport in itself. The sport definately has it's superstars!
I wonder if any of these old ballplayers had half the heart or will to win that some of the collectors who bid on their cards have?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

OK, so I had a response to this thread a couple of days ago about someone driving up the prices of a certain card that I collect....................well, it turns out that I have found my arch nemisis, my loving wife trying to get me a birthday present.........I hereby nominate myself for the biggest horses ass of the year. If our resident artist, Mr. Wonka could put his outstanding ability to work to come up with a proper award for this honor, I would be most grateful. Now, I must find a way to get me out this nasty situation.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Wow Rawn that's awesome. Truly the Gift of the Magi.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Any jewlery sellers out there?

Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard L.

delete and off for a bubble bath, sorry

Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

I am going to take a cold shower. This is not worth it. It is only baseball cards.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Administrator

I thought it was the raw card collectors who keep bidding insane amounts just to get all those slabbed cards out of holders.

By the way, actual "mint" cards, those in 7, 8, and 9 holders today, got big premiums back in the days before card grading as well, though admittedly, there is more interest in them today. For the record, I know a lot of high-grade collectors who pay up for high-grade cards and have no interest at all in the registries, competing, or garnering public acknowledgment for their collections. They simply like high-grade cards. To each their own. Why this is a relentless issue for those that do not even collect high-grade cards is beyond me.
JimB