NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default Willard Chocolates G.C. Alexander Pricing

Posted By: Addie_Joss

What would you guys say is a good price for a 1923 Willard Chocolates Grover Alexander graded a PSA 3?

Old 03-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

one million dollars

Old 03-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator

One million dollars isn't a lot of money anymore Dr. Evil.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Addie- I just went on vintagecardprices.com which is linked to this site, and found that the last transaction for a PSA 3 was $316 and an SGC 40 went for $391 (who says SGC cards don't sell for more than PSA?)

You could have done the same, rather than start a thread.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

OK, 100 BILLION dollars!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Sorry Barry, I didn't mean to ruin your day.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Day is fine...but that website is a fantastic source of pricing information, and everybody should use it.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

It seems like a great site but I don't really want to have to register for it.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Administrator

I believe some of the information may be free. I think you can see the SGC price history since the site is linked to SGC. For PSA, GAI, and Beckett, you do need to register. Anyway, I find it among the most useful tools out there. It's a good thing.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

Even though there seem to be five specimens on the PSA pop report site and two on the SGC, the Alexander card is something you don't see everyday. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell for substantially higher, if not now, someday soon.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

"It seems like a great site but I don't really want to have to register for it."

I'm sure it's just me Addie, but your definately not coming across well (at least to me) these past couple days. You don't want to refund someone on something you should have made sure one way or the other got to him (now he has said go 50/50 out of the goodness of his heart)...and now you think VCP is a great site...but you don't want to pay for it either, you just want the rest of us that have paid to supply you with graded card prices?? Am I missing something?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Dave, you are missing something, a few brain cells. When did I ask anyone to let me mooch off of their VCP membership? I asked a question about a going rate for a card, and Barry suggested I use that site for these types of questions but since I just have a single question, I don't see myslf registering. I don't remember asking anyone to let me mooch from their 9.99 a month membership. Perhaps you are trying too hard.

You should also look towards investing in a dictionary, Dave.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Addie...you are out of line...you come across as being immature, lazy...and somewhat of a parasite. You haven't contributed one thing to the board...only taken.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator

I don't understand how I'm out of line, it was he who was attacking me because of a question I had asked and it is clear he has it out for me. Why am I immature but he is not?

And what have I taken? Isn't this a place to discuss and ask questions about vintage cards? I ask some questions, so what? You can choose to ignore them or not answer them. How am I being lazy? There are only 7 graded copies of this card so how else am I to inquire about a going rate?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Addie...all of your posts are regarding prices of cards...you didn't want to take responsibility for the lost card in the mail. personally I think you should have had to pay the full amount...you got off easy. the tone of your emails is indicative of your intentions here...at least to me. to me this is immature behavior. dave is established here and contributes things of value regularly...you do not.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

It is him who is attacking me, I don't know anything about the guy so what am I to do? Just say, ok? What does my reaction to one transaction have to do with me asking about this GC ALexander card? Nothing. So what is it you have a problem with? I had a disagreement with you guys so that means I can't ask a question about a card? I am interested in the prices because I am interested in acquiring the card, what other avenue would you suggest? Aren't questions about cards values and rarity a major topic for discussion? Why am I not allowed to ask about them?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator

i'm really sorry i said anything, addie...you're right.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

this isn't a matter for the grammar police but the idiom squad should swing into action here. Addie writes "it is clear he has it out for me," apparently meaning that "he is hostile to me." The correct idiom would be "it is clear that he has it IN for me." To say "he has it out for me" implies the opposite of hostility.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Peter I don't mean to give the impression I'm hostile towards you or anyone else, but if someone is going to post in my thread for no other reason than to attack me for something stupid then what am I supposed to do or think? This was a thread about a particular card and its possible value, not a thread to discuss personal differences or matters of opinion. You and anyone else can e-mail if you would like to discuss personal differences. This was a thread about an Alexander card and I wish it didn't turn into something other than that.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Question answered......NEXT!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Addie it pisses me off that you can come on here and obviously decide to sell your stuff w/ no guaranteed backing from you that your stuff will get to someone....you won't take any responsiblity for it. It pisses me off that the buyer had to come on that thread and say he would take 50% of what he is actually owed, because he is dealing with you.

It pisses me off that you can't take $10 and buy a supscription to a service you obviously need...hell you made that money up by not reimbursing the buyer on the other card! And did you even thank Barry Sloate for getting you the prices you were either too lazy or too cheap to sign up for yourself?

And the I need a dictionary comment...love life advice from "just a kid" as you say.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

"Dave, you are missing something, a few brain cells."

Addie, you are completely out of line. Leon, you should consider banning.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

"It pisses me off that you can't take $10 and buy a supscription to a service you obviously need...hell you made that money up by not reimbursing the buyer on the other card!" point/match= dave

Old 03-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Ok Dave you're right and I'm wrong. I apologize for losing my cool and saying you were missing brain cells. For whatever its worth, I apologize and hope we can move on without anymore of this nonsense in the future.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

1- I'd think about $200 is reasonable, if not a bit high. I live in the past, though.

2- Buy a Standard Catalog each year and watch eBay, learn how to search for closed auctions.

3- Spend money on cards, not on slabs or card pricing services.

4- The seller of a Willards Chocolates card should undertake to make certain that the card reaches the buyer, or refund the buyer the purchase price.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Addie,

Perhaps I was premature yesterday in my criticism. Perhaps not. In any case, I will reiterate my thoughts from the "lost mail" thread.

I love to see young people on this board, collecting vintage cards. It's the new generation of collectors that will be buying the cards of those of us 50 and up, when we decide it's time to sell. For that reason, most of us like having you guys around. Someday perhaps, you'll be able to tell friends that you were collecting in the days when you could pick up a T206 Wagner for a little over $100,000. They will marvel at those stories because in 2060 the beater Wagners will be $1,500,000 and the Gretzky card will be $25,000,000. (Of course, a gallon of milk will be just under $50.00 and a loaf of bread will be $29.00)

That said, your youthful exuberance needs to be reined in. I speak from experience when I say that the very people you hope to buy, sell and trade with on this board, will work with you more if you would stop pissing them off.

You asked a question that you could have easily researched yourself. You got an answer. You also got a polite suggestion from Barry on how to research this type of thing going forward. Your response to him was flippant - "Sorry for ruining your day..." Dave asked what your problem was and you said he was "missing brain cells."

Ask yourself this. In a world with lots of choices, why would any of us chose to willingly do business with someone having that kind of attitude.

In summary, stop pissing off your potential customers (is you plan to be a seller) and stop antagonizing the people you hope to buy from (if you plan to be a buyer.)

<I don't think I need a dictionary or a thesaurus for this post, but if I do, so be it.>

Old 03-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Jim,

Couldn't have said it better myself. In such cases, people, it's likely best to follow Jim's pattern. Straightforward, inoffensive, and not patronizing its intended recipient. There is nothing in the body of Jim's advice-giving missive that can be misunderstood. Kudos--keep taking the high road!

Jodi

Old 03-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Jodi,

Thanks. (Yesterday, Leon said I was "Crusty"!)

Old 03-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Crusty? (not that there's anything wrong with "crusty")

Old 03-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

I just wanted to thank Barry for the ringing endorsement to my service...

Thanks..

Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Addie, you should consider dialing it down a bit. You've already had one thread that was contentious and now are about hip deep in a second in two days.

Everyone wants to be hospitable to newer posters, but in an argument between a newer poster and someone that has been around, the group will pretty much circle the wagons around the person that has been around longer unless that person is way out of line. Dave has been around, and is not way out of line. He is a regular contributor, has some great cards, enthusiastically posts scans, info and tries to help with questions. He is a nice guy that really doesn't have trouble with anyone. If you get in an ongoing fight with Dave, you will lose. It might not seem fair, but he has earned the loyalty of people here. He and I disagreed on the issue yesterday, but when it comes to the people end of it I consider us tight.

And if you take up against Barry around here I'm not sure what will happen, but I think lightning may strike you dead. We don't know. It's never been done. He is also highly regarded.

So I hope you follow up your apology to Dave with actions that back it up. Please continue to contribute, but maybe look around and get the lay of the land before getting into confrontations with people.

And folks - fair's fair here. Someone else started a thread this week asking about pricing on a T206. Russ Bright said something about not needing a thread for that and kind of got shouted down for it. I'm not sure what the difference is here. Personally, I think there have been a lot of ticky-tack topics lately like routine pricing questions, parades of ebay auctions with this or that wrong with them, and a lot of "cards-lite" kinds of things. Not a big deal if it's just the ebb and flow - I think it's just the spring lull before the big auctions.

Joann

(Oh, and Addie - Marty did something decent and generous yesterday in offering to split the loss on the lost card with you. It would have been a good move on your part to acknowledge that in the thread you started.)

Edited for "duh" grammatical stuff.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

My only recommendation is to do some research yourself, and when all else fails, tap the board. Googling has it's advantages. Before I buy anything, I google it, VCP it, eBay completed auctions it, and then make a decision.

Have a great rest of your weekend, Addie, and all other board members.

-Kyle

Old 03-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

You guys, this whole thing baffles me. 80 percent of this thread has nothing to do with my transaction with another member and in no way has anything to do with the subject. If you have a problem then address me, this public showing off is strange. What do you get out of it? We don't even know each other and nothing you're angry about has anything to do with you. People are actually suggesting I'm some sort of crook for the loss of a package. I'm not stealing from anyone and its absurd that anyone would even suggest it. Ironically, it is the buyer who is least upset with the whole thing and I have already begun rectifying the situation. None of that has anything to with anyone else but me and him and because I may have different opinions than you does not mean I'm against you. Some of you have taken something that in no way involves you extremely personal and have personally insulted me or insinuated insults when we have never met and are total strangers. I have never antagonized anyone, or personally attacked anyone out of nowhere. I really dont understand that. These are harsh feelings and attitudes to have when we're talking about baseball cards and related topics. This was a thread about a particular baseball card and its value and rarity and somehow it managed to turn into a personal attack. Some people will pick apart what I'm posting but its not needed. I understand how you feel and if you don't like me or want to trade with or buy from me thats fine.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

They were addressing you right here.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Could we all now repair to our respective games of solitaire and gentle pining for "that one true friend"?
Have a good night, all. It's time for some Norman Vincent Pealesque positive thinking.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

I just got back from dinner to find I started a bit of a conflagration here. The only point I was trying to make is there are many resources on the internet to look up prices, and part of the fun of this hobby is to do a little searching. I'd rather do the work myself if I want to know what a card is worth. I would never ask that question publicly, as that is the easy way out.

And I realize Addie took some heat here. He doesn't seem like a bad guy but perhaps he does need to tone it down a bit.

And Joann, while you are always kind and thoughtful, I've gotten into my share of fights on the board and have been attacked on more than a few occasions. I have no hard feelings towards Addie, although I will say his comment "sorry I ruined your day" was inappropriate. But it's no big deal.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

<<You guys, this whole thing baffles me.>>

Yes...we could tell.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

I don't like to use price guides because I don't find them particularly helpful or accurate and I don't have access to the PSA registry. I've seen many posts asking about PSA pop reports and I haven't seen anyone accuse them of being cheap or lazy. Cards could book for one amount but sell a lot lower and vice versa. I find it best to ask people who are very familiar with the hobby and its ebb and flow about what a good price to pay for a certain card is. To me, it was a good idea to ask you guys but it did not turn out that way.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

The V100 series is scarce compared with other issues and imo under-valued.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Addie and everyone else-

It has been a long day and I've played with my kids and put them to bed and am ready to grab a beer and a cigar...but beforehand let me just say (without trying to fuel things)

Addie...far from perfect myself...maybe my objections did come across strong. It is fairly obvious we disagree on how you handled things with the card being shipped so we might as well keep it at that.

The point with the price guide....to me, VCP is almost an essential when it comes to trying to price (for buying, or selling) cards. It really isn't that expensive...by keeping up with the prices you can very quickly make up that $10 a month buy not overspending on some card. This afternoon I guess what upset me was the fact that you acknowledged it was a good service but that you had no desire to register for it yourself. I thought to myself, well why not? Your asking the price of a particular card in a particular grade...thats exactly what VCP is for. Not to mention that yes...it did set me off a bit seeing how you got a little smart with Barry when he did in fact answer your question...

Hi Joann-

You mentioned about fair being fair and someone bringing up cards in threads last week and asking about values....I was on the other side of the fence for that its true. Main reason...that poster was asking about opinions on what some raw cards were worth...not graded which is a little easier to define or at least narrow down some prices. I think there is a big difference in someone posting a thread on what a T206 O'Leary in a PSA 2 should be worth and someone asking what a T206 Walter Johnson portrait where there is only 3/4 of the card actually left is worth...

Hopefully none of this is going to upset anyone any further tonight!

Dave

Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

1. what kind of beer?
2. what type of cigar?
\
regards