NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-19-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
I think what's happening this year is a blessing. Let them f it up so bad and force the commissioner's hand. Can ratings be up from this sort of thing? Possibly, but I doubt it. Plus many people will be upset at stupidity happening, that you'd think something will inevitably change. It's not an all-star game, it's a popularity game...a bias one at that. I haven't watched an "all-star" game in years and definitely won't start this year.

And just because someone didn't vote, doesn't mean they can't call out an obviously flawed system when they see it...Omar Infante...that's as obvious as it gets!
I'm curious as to how you define an "all-star?" Is an all-star someone who puts up the best numbers for half a season? Someone who has put up the best numbers over the past X years? Or is it someone who fans want to see, which may or may not be independent of his numbers, hence it being a popularity contest? or some combination of both?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordanby View Post
I'm curious as to how you define an "all-star?" Is an all-star someone who puts up the best numbers for half a season? Someone who has put up the best numbers over the past X years? Or is it someone who fans want to see, which may or may not be independent of his numbers, hence it being a popularity contest? or some combination of both?

Mostly what they are having now is called a fan game, not an all star game. Can anyone believe that people actually want to see Omar infante in the all star game? Not a chance...I highly doubt kc fans want to see him.

What I would do is have the players with deserving numbers make the all pro team and then have a random fan game for the fans. But then again I'm sure it wouldn't have the allure that the all star game has.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 06-19-2015, 08:38 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

MLB has cancelled aprox 65 million votes

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...aud-fake-votes
Old 06-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Mostly what they are having now is called a fan game, not an all star game. Can anyone believe that people actually want to see Omar infante in the all star game? Not a chance...I highly doubt kc fans want to see him.

What I would do is have the players with deserving numbers make the all pro team and then have a random fan game for the fans. But then again I'm sure it wouldn't have the allure that the all star game has.
I would personally LOVE to see Omar Infante in the ASGame.

But then, I'm the sort of person who likes when sports gets strange or promotions go horribly wrong.
Like Eddie Gadel
Or Disco Demolition Night

Or pretty much anything that MLB might decry as "making a travesty of the game"

Steve B
Old 06-19-2015, 11:47 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I would personally LOVE to see Omar Infante in the ASGame.

But then, I'm the sort of person who likes when sports gets strange or promotions go horribly wrong.

Like Eddie Gadel

Or Disco Demolition Night

Or pretty much anything that MLB might decry as "making a travesty of the game"

Steve B

I want to see him get in, but only to make baseball realize the "all star" game is a joke and realistically only has a handful of deserving all stars. I guess I don't really care in the grand scheme of things, but I hate when it's obviously stupid and nothing is done about it.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 06-21-2015, 12:02 PM

I've seen a lot of people suggest weighting the voting differently and including players and managers along with the fans. If they make a change I still think the fans should have a say since the spirit behind the game seems to be a fun game for the fans to enjoy.

Last edited by packs; 06-21-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:18 PM
qu@n nguy3n

the fans voting all kc players just prove these allstar games are meaningless, whether it's mlb nfl nba or nhl. where baseball got it wrong was attaching home field advantage for the winning side. manfred should reverse that decision, that'd be the easiest solution and get this game back to "exhibition" status. kc and st. louis got nothing going on, let them vote all royals and cards for all i care.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Todd Schultz

I don't have strong feelings about your solution Quan, but I have a hard time understanding why people feel that way. Before this and for years--basically forever--the home team for the World Series alternated every season between National and American League cities. It didn't matter what your record was, who won what game or games, etc,; the AL hosted in odd years and the N.L in even years. I don't remember anyone EVER caring, and there was no serious if any complaining or lobbying for a change. Teams were just happy to be in the World Series.

Now there is this wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth as if way too much is riding on a silly exhibition game. Why? Hey, at least the Royals have a legitimate chance of being the AL representative in the World Series and thus have every incentive to fight hard for this now oh so strategically important advantage. Still, if it's really so troublesome to folks just put it back the way it was, I guess, so people don't get their blood pressure all cranked up over something that never mattered for decades.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-22-2015 at 09:50 AM.