NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Matt

That Aaron at $15 is just amazing. As a collector, call me nuts, but I get more fired up by a find like that than by simply throwing loot at a high grade example. Real nice eye and nice catch!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

and then there's this one. another whale for me, as there hasn't been one of these posted in a long, long time! she was on ebay for all of about 8 minutes when i ran across her. i am still waiting on an original with decent eye appeal. there was one listed about a year back asking crazy money and it was a complete eye sore, both card and autograph wise. i do have the 91 national version, however it doesn't have the original back and reluctantly picked her up solely because i thought i'd never run across a decent original or the 83 topps version.

i was a little skeptical that the card would show considering how low the bin price was (dirt cheap, imo). even in the "a" holder, it's only a pop 4, 2 higher. so, with all that considering the time i have been looking, the price, the rarity, the fact she actually showed up, i am pleased to pick up and present the official topps reprint...still in awe that i picked this one up and my 53 in the same week.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
ok, absolutely thrilled with both of these pick ups. both, imo, blow the label away and the exact kinda cards i aim for. the 53 is kinda a whale for me with the centering and solid bottom left corner. i have literally spent years looking for one i'd be happy with. no creases or surface wrinkles...how is this a 5?

and then we have this 72 aaron. i have inspected this thing with a fine tooth comb and can not figure out how this card is a 3. must say i would take this card all day long @ $15.

Your post looks very similar to mine 1953 Yankees hof outfield and a 1972 hof both psa graded. Stop copying off me. Jk

Kodiak x2,Bcauley,trobba x2,Rjackson44,bunst,greenmonster,
Botport,tinkertoeverstochance, frankbmd, drmondobeuno, T206collector,northviewcats x2

Pending deals
Old 04-18-2015, 07:36 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

begsu1013, congrats on landing the 83 Mantle auto. Has to feel good landing a rare signed card like that.

MattC, That Gibson rookie is centered beyond belief and looks as good as any I have see. Congrats for landing that bad-boy. Almost forgot about that Killer Carew rookie. The centering once again. Wow!!

T206Fan, Nice pickups with the Mize and Killebrew card. Killebrew certainly one of the most underrated hitters.

I was very happy to land this 66 Mays. Hard to find this card with decent centering. I was amazed to find this card sitting out there on Ebay.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Fan View Post
Your post looks very similar to mine 1953 Yankees hof outfield and a 1972 hof both psa graded. Stop copying off me. Jk
t206,

i certainly will not! you keep posting those blazer cards of blazer years and i will be on your coat tails for a very, very long time!!! ; )

Last edited by begsu1013; 04-18-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 AM

Sweet mantle!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Matt

Where do we begin on that 66 Mays? I mean, does it get any better looking? This is why I love seeing no flip-- is that a 9? If it is, then great. If it's not, MUCH BETTER!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:28 PM

It's nice to see this section of the board (pre-1980) thriving and more active than ever. Great cards and thanks for sharing!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Matt

Mick's auto on the 52T image is so awesome.

This below is tied for the biggest misgrade I ever came across. Pumped. I love my other example of this card because it does not have the black print issue in the upper left area that so many have. I love this one because it feels like one in every 200 examples of this card has great centering.

Just closed a deal for this with our good friend Jerry! Thanks, brother!

Last edited by MattyC; 04-18-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:55 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Where do we begin on that 66 Mays? I mean, does it get any better looking? This is why I love seeing no flip-- is that a 9? If it is, then great. If it's not, MUCH BETTER!
Thanks Matt. It is certainly not a 9. Picked it up for under 100. I could not be happier. Might be under graded. Will have to wait until I get it in hand to see overall condition but I do not think I will be disappointed.

BTW the centering on the Bowman Mick is outstanding and The Ruth card is crazy good. 2 very nice additions. That Ruth is exactly what I will be looking for one day when I decide to get my first.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Posting for my brother. This is his biggest and most money he has ever spent on a card. I am really pushing him to get back in the hobby.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Matt

With an eye like that, I cannot wait to see what he picks up if he gets into the hobby! Left right centering and amazing deep yellow!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:16 PM

Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Koufax and Ruth. Ridiculous pick ups this month.
Excellent work, gentlemen.
April has been a hell of a month around here
Old 04-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Dan Paradis

Recent RC pickups
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blyleven 1968 Topps PSA 7.jpg (77.2 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg Jackson,R 1969 Topps PSA 4.5.jpg (77.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Fingers 1969 Topps PSA 4.jpg (78.5 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Gibson 1959 Topps PSA 6.jpg (74.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Niekro 1964 Topps PSA 6.jpg (76.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Santo 1961 Topps PSA 5.jpg (76.1 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Stargell 1961 Topps PSA 7.jpg (77.4 KB, 208 views)
Old 04-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

that santo and blyleven are bananas!!!

congrats!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:14 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

DanP, those are some very nice rookies you have scored on. Congrats! They looked great for the grade.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Matt

That is one enormous rookie haul up there, DanP! That's a mini collection in one shot.

And let's single out that Blyleven-- hits the eye so far better than the grade. A prime candidate to be shown in a scan with its pesky flip cropped out LOL!

Here's one that gets really slept on and needs more hobby love: a 1959 card that memorializes one of the most famous moments in the history of the game. I realized that when I take my son through the collection, and he meets the players and learns of them, this great moment should definitely be in there. It's also a toughie to find centered. I went shopping for this one and went down the line of VCP past sales in its grade, and couldn't find one as centered going all the way back to 2013.

The first panel is so iconic-- an image I somehow knew of even as a kid growing up in the 80s. And the hat falling off in the second panel is just mad flavor.

This is the in-hand scan of the 51 Berra PSA 3 scooped off eBay last week. So bright and clean. Have two now so have a feeling my brother's collection is about to get hooked up with a great Berra.

Just got this off a fellow board member in the BST.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-19-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:16 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

As a continuation of my 'nothing substantial' run, here are three more 72's that can never be found this well centered…
hallerkranepooldavis.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:19 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
As a continuation of my 'nothing substantial' run, here are three more 72's that can never be found this well centered…
Attachment 187345
That is gonna be some 72 Set! Imagine all those centered cards in a binder? I'd buy that and keep it on the coffee table to look through every single evening to unwind.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-20-2015, 05:57 PM

Nice addition to The Festival, Adam, and ya gotta love the crazy "M" in Reginald's early signature, plus the OPC reverse.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Matty, love that 1951 Berra. In the late 80s my Dad bought me a whole bunch of reprint cards, and this was one of them. I think he knew I loved baseball cards and this was a way of seeing those old cards of his that got thrown away. For whatever reason that 51 Bowman was "the card" for me, even over the 52 Mantle reprint which sounds crazy. I love the hat on his head, and especially the grandstand sign in the back. The artwork on that card is crazy.

As a devout Christian family, we went to weekly Saturday evening vigil. My sister told me "it wil go by quicker if you think of something else" so I used to think about my cards, and especially that 51 Bowman Berra. I always said I was going to get one when I was all grown up. Heading over to ebay shortly.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Matt

That grandstand sign with the arrow is a big part of the aesthetic appeal of the card for me, too. Plus the portrait/facial expression just nails his persona. It's a really charming baseball card and always popped for me, too.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
That is one enormous rookie haul up there, DanP! That's a mini collection in one shot.

And let's single out that Blyleven-- hits the eye so far better than the grade. A prime candidate to be shown in a scan with its pesky flip cropped out LOL!

Here's one that gets really slept on and needs more hobby love: a 1959 card that memorializes one of the most famous moments in the history of the game. I realized that when I take my son through the collection, and he meets the players and learns of them, this great moment should definitely be in there. It's also a toughie to find centered. I went shopping for this one and went down the line of VCP past sales in its grade, and couldn't find one as centered going all the way back to 2013.

The first panel is so iconic-- an image I somehow knew of even as a kid growing up in the 80s. And the hat falling off in the second panel is just mad flavor.

This is the in-hand scan of the 51 Berra PSA 3 scooped off eBay last week. So bright and clean. Have two now so have a feeling my brother's collection is about to get hooked up with a great Berra.

Just got this off a fellow board member in the BST.

Matt a definite +1 on the Mays catch card. That is one of the games if I could go back in time and watch I would put that one towards the top.

Also that 70's Aaron was a sweet pickup. I almost pulled the trigger on that one as I contemplated and went back it was gone.

Thanks for the reminder on the Berra card. I remember seeing a near perfect centered one a while back and did not pull the trigger. Kicking myself for passing on that one. You continue to lead the way. Well done!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Matt

Thanks, brother. There have been some real nice cards on the BST lately, and after I snoozed on the 56 Mick that I loved but just saw too late, I realized ya gotta check the BST every now and then. Thankfully that Mick came back around shortly thereafter and I moved quickly then.

I liked the 51B Berra so much I actually copped two of those bad boys. This was the one with sick centering on ebay a little while ago. When I saw it I kind of bugged out because it's not one that's seen dead nuts centered...

Last edited by MattyC; 04-20-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM

Default Sorely-needed uprade : !954 Bowman

...great guy , great ballplayer . He still has family here in Berks County , Pennsylvania, where he's from.

..I had never really tried too hard to replace the original card because it had so much character but when I saw the minty new one I fell in love all over again. Old Brooklyn Dodgers fans are a strange lot. As are baseball card collectors.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:36 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

...great guy , great ballplayer . He still has family here in Berks County , Pennsylvania, where he's from.

..I had never really tried too hard to replace the original card because it had so much character but when I saw the minty new one I fell in love all over again. Old Brooklyn Dodgers fans are a strange lot. As are baseball card collectors.

Nice upgrade Mike! Carl was a great guy.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 AM
Bill Gregory

Some real nice pickups there, guys. Congratulations to all. I hope to get back to collecting again soon. My heart just hasn't been in it as of late.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Jason

Default 53T Mays and 74T Aaron

Two of my favorite cards from two of the best...
Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Matt

Furillo was my grandfather's favorite. His cards have much personality. Must be thrilling to make such a big upgrade.

Congrats on two huge cards for a collection in the 53 Mays and the Hank Crown! Both are so clean. The Mays is legendarily tough.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

picked up 2 more aaron rooks and my first clemente rook. all 3 low grade, but I have been overly picky on picking up a clemente. have been looking for a while and finally found one I think I can be happy with!!

hopefully, they show before may comes around, as I like using my own scans, which brings me to my question:

what's the consensus definition of a "pick up"?

the day you paid for the card....

or

the day it arrives and can be posted?

Last edited by begsu1013; 04-23-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Michael Br0wne

If you're pumped and happy enough-- Both!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

mets,

so simple, it's brilliant! I like your style!!!!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 PM

In this week... nice '55 Bowman Dodger, '71 Topps high number and an early Fisk from my favorite Kellogg's set.

55 B K Lehman 042215.jpg

71 T 699 J Britton 041615.jpg

73 K C Fisk 042115.jpg
Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsBaseball1973 View Post
If you're pumped and happy enough-- Both!
+1
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 PM

Hi everyone-this is my first post here.

I got back into cards last year, totally as a bucket list item. I always wanted to have every set from the 70's. When I first started collecting as a kid in 1978 finding older 70's vintage cards was always cool, although I never ran into anything older than 1970, except for the 3 1968s that I have.

My April pickups include a huge lot of 1972s and all but 15 cards from the 1974 Topps set. With that, I now have on average 94% of every set from 1970-1979. Most of what's left is the remaining highs and high HOFers. Now the fun really begins
Old 04-25-2015, 07:50 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs70sCards View Post

I got back into cards last year, totally as a bucket list item. I always wanted to have every set from the 70's. When I first started collecting as a kid in 1978 finding older 70's vintage cards was always cool, although I never ran into anything older than 1970, except for the 3 1968s that I have.

My April pickups include a huge lot of 1972s and all but 15 cards from the 1974 Topps set. With that, I now have on average 94% of every set from 1970-1979. Most of what's left is the remaining highs and high HOFers. Now the fun really begins
Welcome to the board. Make sure to post picts. of some of your favorite pickups. Sounds like you are going to reach your goal in the not to distant future.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs70sCards View Post

welcome and lemme know what ya need for your 72 set...bought a couple thousand cards to complete my dads set at a steal. didn't have his checklist, but did complete it. anyways, might send ya some freebies!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Matt

Welcome aboard and whenever convenient throw up some pix! It's a great and positive group here.

I feel like the older I get the more I appreciate and am in flat out awe of Hank Aaron. Consistency at that high level is so amazing. Great thing about the game is there are so many wonderful players with compelling personal stories to get into and collect. And let me edit and add in that Hank's second-year cards are shockingly affordable! I remember the Bowman '55 as a kid-- something about his pose and the upwards look just is so simple and peaceful. Rockwellian. Those Bowman cards, from 51 to 55, are just so freaking cool. Tremendous personality in each of those sets, for their own reasons.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-25-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

nice pick ups matty! currently working on my aaron basic set. don't have the 71 yet, but did pick up the 55b a few months back. such an iconic card framed w/ the wood grain "color tv". reminds me of back to the future when marty sees the "honeymooners rerun" and although, I wasn't even thought of in '55, just imagine how cool it musta been to see "color tv". had to be pretty big considering it's the only invention that I can think of to frame a card.

just down right classic in every aspect!

and side note: other than perhaps berra, I agree that just about all of hank aaron cards seem to be waaaaaay undervalued...but don't tell anyone. still picking up all the centered ones i can beat you to!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Matt

Berra is another sleeper legend-- if those two words can even go together. I mean the man had several seasons with more HR than K's! And with power. Plus it's not like old Yogi played in a small market-- though I can see how he was somewhat standing next to the sun in terms of the star wattage of his stud teammates.

Just saw this one on eBay and had to grab it. Was priced high for an 8 but still just a fraction of the 9s. Ran through the recent 8s on VCP and they all had worse centering and most had white dots, and this one didn't, so figured why not? Also, if I ever needed to sell it for crack, it seems like the kind of card that could wind up with a higher sticker on it if re-subbed a few more times.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-25-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
picked up 2 more aaron rooks and my first clemente rook. all 3 low grade, but I have been overly picky on picking up a clemente. have been looking for a while and finally found one I think I can be happy with!!
alrighty, so here's that 1st aaron. still fathoms me that you can pick up the natural home run kings rook in decent condition for $800 and on a good day much less...and a 52 mantle (non-rook) will run ya $10K+ for anything w. decent eye appeal. undervalued, indeed.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Matt

Gorgeous! I also think that's my old Aaron RC! Was bought raw at a show then graded. Fantastic card.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Continuing my variation-crazy ways, I grabbed up these three very tough to find '62 green tints and a '66 Johnson 'no trade statement' to boot…
gtjohnsonnotrade.jpg

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 04-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Matt

So what's the story on that Johnson variation?

Just copped this bananas second year Aaron-- cannot wait to have in hand. Almost gave up on finding a centered one. Love the Bowman and Topps the same for the '55 Hank.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
So what's the story on that Johnson variation?
The overwhelming majority of these cards have "Alex was traded to Cardinals, October 27, 1965." appearing on the lower back. The earliest ones released by Topps in 1966 did not have this information included there and are incredibly tough to find at a reasonable price.

Casey Stengel

Old 04-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Matt

Very cool to learn. Always something new to discover with cards.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Dan Paradis

Bob, FANTASTIC Aaron Rookie. Congratulations!
Matt, real nice Aaron, beautiful centering.

Two recent RC additions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Palmer 1966 Topps PSA 8.jpg (76.7 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Lemon 1949 Bowman PSA 5.jpg (75.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 04-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

dan,

love that palmer. just picked up a signed one on friday to go w/ the hof rc collection, but your's is a beast...congrats!!! and not sure if you ever crack and resubmit, but that lemon grade looks to be under deserved!

Last edited by begsu1013; 04-26-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Garrett

picked up this yellow letter for my 1958 set today. it has some surface wear and centering issues, but such a tough card to find and it's slabbed. Getting oh so close on my 58 set including all yellows!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4244.jpg (9.0 KB, 109 views)

1955:206/206 complete
1956: 298/341 complete
1957: just starting
1958:515/534 complete; 1 base, 2 numerical checklists and 16 yellow letters

1959: 513/572
1959 PSA 6: 40/572
1965: 352/598
1966: 447/598
1967: /609
1968: /598
1969: 562/664
1970: 635/720