NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Default Heritage T206

Found it interesting that a highest example grade Cy Young PSA 8 not only didn’t sell but yesterday they put a reserve in because there was not much interest in the card.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge; 11-16-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: New content
Old 11-16-2018, 06:36 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Very interesting. I was actually the highest bidder, until it jumped to the reserve right before the auction closed.

I thought I might get it on the cheap(if 16k can ever be considered cheap)

Bottom line seems to be there's some softness in the t206 market when the backs aren't rarer. Either that or there's weakness in the cy young market as the cobb market seems to be going the other direction.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

But yet look at the Heritage September T206 auction.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:36 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
Very interesting. I was actually the highest bidder, until it jumped to the reserve right before the auction closed.

I thought I might get it on the cheap(if 16k can ever be considered cheap)

Bottom line seems to be there's some softness in the t206 market when the backs aren't rarer. Either that or there's weakness in the cy young market as the cobb market seems to be going the other direction.
There's no weakness in the Cy Young T206 Portrait market. Just the opposite.
A very off-center SGC 4 sold for over $2,500 in Heritage and a PSA 4.5 sold for over $3,800 in Huggins & Scott. I believe those are or are close to record prices.

Last edited by griffon512; 11-16-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Found it interesting that a highest example grade Cy Young PSA 8 not only didn’t sell but yesterday they put a reserve in because there was not much interest in the card.
It was a beautiful card, but way off center.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 PM

Bottom line, The card did not deserve an 8. That is why it did not sell for big money (or at all). Card is Overgraded. people are buying the card, not the flip.

I think the t206 market is silly strong right now, especially Cobb, Wajo, Young, Matty. I notice Speaker is pretty hot and Lajoie has become quite the expensive dude lately too. Still no love for Jake Beckley!!

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-16-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 PM

Market is hot. That card was way OC, and would get a qualifier if graded today. it was in a very old holder, 15+ years old.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:51 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

I agree, centering was a huge issue and was why I stopped where I stopped. I just assumed in larger auction like that they would've had a few dealers going against one another buying the flip not the card.

A few years ago I think they would've got their price
Old 11-17-2018, 05:17 AM

I think collectors are more savvy these days, and are buying the cards, not the flips.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:21 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

But yet in the Heritage T206 auction, centering or any other noticeable flaws didn’t seem to matter and nearly every card sold for far above reasonable value so why not on this one too? And believe me I agree with what happened with it but after the run up of the cards in September I would have expected similar here. I just think if this card had been in that auction it would have had a much different result.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
But yet in the Heritage T206 auction, centering or any other noticeable flaws didn’t seem to matter and nearly every card sold for far above reasonable value so why not on this one too? And believe me I agree with what happened with it but after the run up of the cards in September I would have expected similar here. I just think if this card had been in that auction it would have had a much different result.
It’s possible a whale won most of the September T206 cards as he was going for the #1 set. The registry can sometimes yield some anamolous prices that don’t indicate a trend.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
It’s possible a whale won most of the September T206 cards as he was going for the #1 set. The registry can sometimes yield some anamolous prices that don’t indicate a trend.
The Registry folks just want the biggest Johnson (T206) The prices for top grade cards isn't really the normal market, imo, though the high prices don't hurt the lower conditioned ones and probably help them a little bit.