NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Default Need some help finding a Jackie Robinson card

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I am looking to purchase a Jackie Robinson card (1950s) for my nephew for his birthday. I know a little bit about cards but not a lot. I'm hesitant to just buy one off of ebay without knowing what to look for. I would GREATLY appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm looking for something reasonably priced. I was going to buy something from deans but after a little bit of research I realized that their prices are ridiculous.

Thank you so much
Old 08-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

price? grade range? prefer PSA,SGC or Beckett?
Years? you say 50's ..i just bought a 48-49 Leaf RC, plus theres the 49 Bowman, or perhaps the 52 is suitable, its basically your choice what you like.
Once dteremined, then how about centering, creases, corner wear?
Here, click this site, to view many Jackie Robinson cards by year(s): http://www.cardboardconnection.com/t...robinson-cards

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 08-22-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping to spend somewhere in the $100-$150 range (if that's possible). I would like it to be in the best condition possible for the money. I have heard of PSA but I'm not sure of the differences between that, SGC and Beckett. I guess I'm open to what year, I would just like it to be vintage. I said 50s because I was mainly looking at the 54-56 topps.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

You might try buying 'raw' ungraded from a reputable person.
There are many set builders that may have lower-end ones that they upgraded from.
As for grade companies..PSA is good for re-sell, SGC seems more consistent in grading. Its just a preference, but PSA does have the best registry.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:44 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Cardtaget is a great website to see real prices of recently sold cards.

http://www.cardtarget.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

If you are looking in that price range a mid grade 1956 topps may be your best buy.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Dustin Bellinger

For a 56 Topps I think you could get a graded card in the 4-6 range in your price range depending on how patient you are and how wide you search.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 PM

I appreciate all of your help and info sir. Is it true to assume that something on ebay that is graded will most likely be the real deal? I did read on a forum awhile ago (may have been an old post) that a card was for sale on ebay but it seemed like the psa case was cracked and then frosted to make it seem like it wasn't messed with. It's ashame that there are people out there who play games and try and rip people off.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 PM

You guys have been really great. I very much appreciate the info. Is it best to search for a reputable person within the forum or search on ebay. The problem I have with ebay is not getting what I expect when it arrives, like the card being in worse condition then expected.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

In the mid grad area you are thinking of it is less likely to find a fake in a slab. It is a lot of work for $150 for most scammers. They think bigger if they are going to take the time. It is true though that it has been known to happen. I have never seen a BGS or BVG (beckett grading) slabs tampered with, but a lot of people don't like the size (which is the same reason they are hard to tamper with).

PSA is the most commonly used slab to tamper because it is the largest company and commands the most premium for this years of baseball cards, so that extra premium attracts scammers. This doesn't mean that most of them are faked though.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Dustin Bellinger

There is always a risk but I believe there is a smaller chance of buying a fradulent graded card than of buying a trimmed or altered raw card. Do a google image search of tampered PSA cases and get an idea what to watch for. Look at the card and the seller hard before bidding. If something doesnt seem right then pass on it. Nothing wrong with taking an extra week and maybe spending $20 more to make sure you feel comforfable you are getting what you want.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Howdy BIGMARCCL,

What you are undertaking is a very, very thoughtful gift idea. May I simply say that the 1956 Topps that others have shown would definitely be the best choice, economically and from the key standpoint of being one of Jack's most visually stunning cards.

Now, whether graded or not. I would buy a professionally graded card, either from PSA or SGC. There's something about the sturdiness, safety, security, and beauty of an old baseball card in a graded card holder. You can handle it and won't have to worry if your Grandfather holds it! It's well worth the extra cost. If you could possibly see your way to purchase a card that's EXCELLENT or better, that would greatly increase the chances of it appreciating in value. Look for one where the picture registry looks very clear and defined. Compare several cards on eBay and you'll know what I mean. Especially on Jackie's face.

Unfortunately, obviously, the better the graded card, the higher the cost. There are some Very Goods and Very Good - Excellents that are strictly graded and look splendid. After all, price counts. Unless, you could save up a few months longer and make it a combo of birthday and Christmas or Chanukah---and give it to him at the end of the year, while for now breathe a few words of "something's comin', something good". The sweet anticipation will be special.

These are just ideas. Do as you wish. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to get a genuine Jackie Robinson baseball card. But I strongly agree with the others; buy a professionally graded specimen from either PSA or SGC. Also, if you saw one you really liked on Dean's Cards, make him an offer. A 56 Topps Robinson is a common card, but uncommonly gorgeous. He wants to sell. But, he doesn't want to "give a high demand card away". To buy that card on the cheap, you'll probably have to settle for a lesser grade with as good of eye appeal as you can find. Ponder the matter in your heart, and feel free to ask us more questions, etc. We're on your side, buddy.

Wishing you the very best in this gift quest. Take care. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-23-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Shaun Fyffe

I definitely concur with the recommendation for a 1956 card.

Awesome gift idea!!

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Howdy BIGMARCCL,

What you are undertaking is a very, very thoughtful gift idea. May I simply say that the 1956 Topps that others have shown would definitely be the best choice, economically and from the key standpoint of being one of Jack's most visually stunning cards.

Now, whether graded or not. I would buy a professionally graded card, either from PSA or SGC. There's something about the sturdiness, safety, security, and beauty of an old baseball card in a graded card holder. You can handle it and won't have to worry if your Grandfather holds it! It's well worth the extra cost. If you could possibly see your way to purchase a card that's EXCELLENT or better, that would greatly increase the chances of it appreciating in value. Look for one where the picture registry looks very clear and defined. Compare several cards on eBay and you'll know what I mean. Especially on Jackie's face.

Unfortunately, obviously, the better the graded card, the higher the cost. There are some Very Goods and Very Good - Excellents that are strictly graded and look splendid. After all, price counts. Unless, you could save up a few months longer and make it a combo of birthday and Christmas or Chanukah---and give it to him at the end of the year, while for now breathe a few words of "something's comin', something good". The sweet anticipation will be special.

These are just ideas. Do as you wish. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to get a genuine Jackie Robinson baseball card. But I strongly agree with the others; buy a professionally graded specimen from either PSA or SGC. Also, if you saw one you really liked on Dean's Cards, make him an offer. A 56 Topps Robinson is a common card, but uncommonly gorgeous. He wants to sell. But, he doesn't want to "give a high demand card away". To buy that card on the cheap, you'll probably have to settle for a lesser grade with as good of eye appeal as you can find. Ponder the matter in your heart, and feel free to ask us more questions, etc. We're on your side, buddy.

Wishing you the very best in this gift quest. Take care. --Brian Powell
Thank you very much for the detailed response and suggestions. Everyone here has been really cool about helping me out. I wouldn't mind spending a little more but my wife isn't really thrilled with the idea. I can maybe ask her how she feels about combining gifts and seeing if we can do better. He has told me in the past how much he wants a JR card and I'm very excited to find one for him. I know he will love it. Is my best bet EBAY? I would like to thank everyone for their help.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:58 PM

How is something like this? BVG-4 VG-EX. The seller doesn't seem to have sold a lot of stuff but I was just browsing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Topps-J...item4185e9572a

Another - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Topps-J...item4ad8432f6e

Why no bids? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackie-Robin...item2a4245000d
Old 08-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

You gotta watch that positive feedback. The 1st one listed is poor despite a neg 12 months ago for a 'fake' Always check the buyers reviews and see what they been selling.
I reccommend using a PowerSeller.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 08-24-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 PM

Hey BIGMARCCL,

You're most welcome. You spoke of your wife not being crazy about the idea of spending more. That might be very significant. As excited as you are at the prospect of making your nephew overjoyed, if your dear wife is not happy about it, do not do it. Period.

There are other options, such as several of the modern commemorative and tribute cards of Jackie Robinson made by Topps. (TO FIND SOME ON EBAY, SIMPLY GO BACK TO ABOUT "2006 TOPPS JACKIE ROBINSON", and type nothing else, see what comes up, then go to 2007, etc. to this year.) They are beautiful and much much less expensive. There are reprints---75-80% of the eye candy at a greatly reduced price.

If you must get him an original, still go with a graded card by PSA or SGC. However, work within a dollar range that your wife is comfortable with, too. This is imperative. Also, one thing that may be wisely going through her mind is this: "OK, we get the nephew a nice beautiful original, vintage Jackie Robinson card that's been officially graded and encapsulated---is this going to lead to a second Robinson card, then a third, a fourth, a fifth????????????????"

This is a very fair question on her part. Whether you know it or not, collecting vintage cards is VERY euphoric, exhilarating, expensive, fulfilling (as long as you keep on buying them!), and MOST OF ALL, ADDICTIVE. Just a friendly warning. We ARE on your side, but many of us have found that if our wife is not behind us in our collecting, it is not worth it.

Hope all goes well for everyone. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-25-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Tim Sanders

Default Nice Gift

There are plenty of choices.

53-56 will be in your range depending. I prefer 55 or 56

Raw will often be cheaper, but is open to various scams- trimming/reprints/photoshop tricks etc.

The best choice in my mind when dealing with card issues that you are not familiar with is to go with grading companies (warning: opinions coming take them for what they are worth):
PSA- great for investors - the higher the grade the better - more abundant in your date range sturdy case
SGC - visually appealing case - often mistakenly associated with OLD cards (Pre 1940) so not much in your current range
Beckett - not many out there - large case often the best bargain

That being said the grading companies have warts too: inconsistent grading/slabs can be tampered with/ they have mistakenly graded reprints.

Just a matter of piece of mind to go with graders.

But tell more about the boy- what does he collect already? Does he collect graded cards now? Does he have a preference in company?

I always say buy the card not the grade...

A nice PSA 1 1953

A PSA 4 1955

An SGC 60 1956

or outside the box:

1955 Golden Stamp PSA 8

Exhibits PSA 4.5

Either way just thinking this way is pretty cool- good luck and hope you update us with what you got!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2069bk View Post
There are plenty of choices.

53-56 will be in your range depending. I prefer 55 or 56

Raw will often be cheaper, but is open to various scams- trimming/reprints/photoshop tricks etc.

The best choice in my mind when dealing with card issues that you are not familiar with is to go with grading companies (warning: opinions coming take them for what they are worth):
PSA- great for investors - the higher the grade the better - more abundant in your date range sturdy case
SGC - visually appealing case - often mistakenly associated with OLD cards (Pre 1940) so not much in your current range
Beckett - not many out there - large case often the best bargain

That being said the grading companies have warts too: inconsistent grading/slabs can be tampered with/ they have mistakenly graded reprints.

Just a matter of piece of mind to go with graders.

But tell more about the boy- what does he collect already? Does he collect graded cards now? Does he have a preference in company?

I always say buy the card not the grade...

A nice PSA 1 1953

A PSA 4 1955

An SGC 60 1956

or outside the box:

1955 Golden Stamp PSA 8

Exhibits PSA 4.5

Either way just thinking this way is pretty cool- good luck and hope you update us with what you got!
Thank you for the reply and the information. My nephew is 11 years old. He does have some cards but nothing graded and he does take care of what he has. I have given him a few cards and he absolutely loves them. He has told me before how much he would love to get a jackie robinson card and he does seem to be into collecting. When he told me about the jackie robinson card I immediately wanted to look into getting him one but when I think jackie robinson I think of getting a vintage card from when he played. For some reason I'm not a big fan of the newer cards of older players. I know it would make his year, that's why I'm on this mission. I must say EACH AND EVERY reply and private message I have gotten has been greatly appreciated and very helpful. Everyone here is so nice to take the time to help me in this process.