NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-07-2022, 09:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Did I Get Shilled????

I just won an auction with my first and only bid coming just past the 3 seconds left mark. It stopped at $39 and that weird new window appeared saying something to the effect of "we're determining the winner." I basically won it at $39. The auction was over and the $39 did not change on my screen.

A little while later I went to pay, figuring it was $39, but was shocked to see it went for my maximum bid of $47.88. When I checked the bids, there was a last second 'bid' that was exactly 99 cents less than my max, thus ensuring that I would have to spend every cent I bid!! There is no way this was legitimate, right? I mean, come on!!! A last second bid (in the bizarre amount) of $46.89 pushing me exactly to my maximum by someone who had no bids except for that one???

Here's a screenshot. The blacked out ones are me. I only bid once (where it says $39) with a max of $47.88:

bidscam.jpg

Please no one say the old chestnut, "I bid the max I'm willing to pay and whatever happens happens." This isn't a lot of money, but to me it reeks!

Other than saying it was just a weird coincidence that someone bid exactly 99 cents less than my maximum (in a strange bidding amount), am I wrong to think the fix was in???

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:53 PM
J@E R1T0

Darren, looks like you got Power Played, possibly Brute Force Spatula’d, and/or Compu-sniped my friend. Yup, in other words, you may have been victimized by an auto-bidding program. But at least you won!

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:58 PM
Al Stein

Chill Darren, it's just random snipe stuff. I've won auctions by 1 cent and lost them by 1 cent. I even lost with the highest bid once, because someone made the same exact bid to the penny two seconds before me.

Be happy you bid just enough to win. It's better than being a dollar short.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2022, 10:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Darren, looks like you got Power Played, possibly Brute Force Spatula’d, and/or Compu-sniped my friend. Yup, in other words, you may have been victimized by an auto-bidding program. But at least you won!
If that's the case, wouldn't it have to come from the seller's shilling ally? I mean, what would be the point of some rando pushing my price to the max down to the penny? It makes no sense.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 03-07-2022, 10:43 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I don't know about the shilling aspect...but I have won literally thousands of cards on ebay, have sniped and have been sniped...and for the first time ever while bidding on a 66 High the other night, I had the same thing..."Determining the Winner"...then moments later I had won. I was the sniper like you and won with my sniping bid and only saw that amount...so a little different than yours...but I have never seen the "Determining the Winner" page before...that was weird...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-07-2022, 10:50 PM
Dave

You got sniped, you didn’t get shilled.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I snipe all the time (and did so here), but that exact amount is just bizarre. It made the final price my absolute maximum. Not a penny more, not a penny less, the exact number. Which would've been normal at a full dollar amount or something like that, but a bid of $46.89 to force me exactly to my $47.88 max? Fishy.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Something seems very wrong to me, but lacking proof, there's not much I can do, so I'll move on...

Casey Stengel

Old 03-07-2022, 11:59 PM
Bob C.

Darren, As weird as the bid may have seemed, since this was on Ebay and two last second type snipe bids, how would the seller, or anyone else, have been able to tell what your snipe max amount was? If someone was shilling you, they somehow had to have access to your snipe account to know what your max bid amount was, because there wouldn't have been enough time left in the auction for them to make more than a single snipe bid at the end themselves. That is the whole point of using a snipe service, it doesn't allow time for someone to shill you and run your bids up. Chalk it up to a weird coincidence. The old saying still holds, truth is very often stranger than fiction.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:26 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
A little while later I went to pay, figuring it was $39, but was shocked to see it went for my maximum bid of $47.88. When I checked the bids, there was a last second 'bid' that was exactly 99 cents less than my max, thus ensuring that I would have to spend every cent I bid!! There is no way this was legitimate, right? I mean, come on!!! A last second bid (in the bizarre amount) of $46.89 pushing me exactly to my maximum by someone who had no bids except for that one???

Here's a screenshot. The blacked out ones are me. I only bid once (where it says $39) with a max of $47.88:

Attachment 506312

Please no one say the old chestnut, "I bid the max I'm willing to pay and whatever happens happens." This isn't a lot of money, but to me it reeks!

Other than saying it was just a weird coincidence that someone bid exactly 99 cents less than my maximum (in a strange bidding amount), am I wrong to think the fix was in???
The fact it was exactly 99 cents lower isn't relevant. There is a $1 range that would've produced the same result. For instance, he could've bid a dollar less than you, or 56 cents less, or 6 cents less, all producing the same result.

The fact both your bids are timestamped the same, right at the end, I can understand the algorithm needing a moment to log both bids, and then bump yours appropriately.

Not seeing anything unusual or coincidental here.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:31 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I don't think you were shilled either, unless there were canceled bids that you're not showing on your image.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Chill Darren, it's just random snipe stuff. I've won auctions by 1 cent and lost them by 1 cent.
+1. Years ago I sniped $99.99 on a 1968 Kahn’s Fergie Jenkins and the winning bid was $100.00, I’m sure the winning bidder was cussing me out and suspicious of my authenticity.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:55 AM
Robert J. Miller

I think you just got sniped. I don't use a snipe service but I do place bids in the last seconds. Win some, Lose some. And I always bid odd amounts like $38.62 or 27.27. Just don't know why I do that.
Bob
Old 03-08-2022, 06:10 AM
Albert Bee

Default bid

yea, sounds fishy...but it happens quite often
Old 03-08-2022, 06:17 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
I think you just got sniped. I don't use a snipe service but I do place bids in the last seconds. Win some, Lose some. And I always bid odd amounts like $38.62 or 27.27. Just don't know why I do that.
Bob
I also manually place last second bids with an odd amount of cents because I know others do the same thing. I think it's just one of those things that happens and nothing nefarious.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:09 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I also manually place last second bids with an odd amount of cents because I know others do the same thing. I think it's just one of those things that happens and nothing nefarious.
Ha...I do to...I always end with .79...I guess now I have to end with .89 as I am sure I have competed with a few of you guys!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-08-2022, 08:36 AM
J0hn Collin$

Would agree while frustrating, I don't smell anything definitely fishy. I don't wait out a lot of auctions anymore, but when I used to that kind of things happened to me all the time. I will end most as others have indicated with weird high bid amounts in the cents..($0.01, $0.99...) but sometimes I will still get barely beat out. Just depends on how popular whatever it is remains going down to the wire...
Old 03-08-2022, 08:41 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Ha...I do to...I always end with .79...I guess now I have to end with .89 as I am sure I have competed with a few of you guys!
Haha so does Darren. He says "Who would bid an oddball amount like $46.89?" at the same time he's bidding $47.88.

Like I understand someone bidding 47.88 but 46.89? That's crazy!

Old 03-08-2022, 08:45 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
I bid odd amounts too. I usually end in .57.

Mike
Old 03-08-2022, 09:54 AM
J@E R1T0

looks like I'll have to randomize my snipe amounts... I'm the .13 cents guy.

Yeah agree here, it was a snipe, not a shill. BTW, what's a good sniping service to use??

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Old 03-08-2022, 10:23 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

On a hidden proxy the highest amount wins in a snipe like this. Your hidden cap was less than the dollar needed so it placed your max bid in it's place.

This the exact reason people add those extra cents. Win I win by a penny, I am pleased in the most evil of ways, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:35 AM
Dave

HaHa

.25 or .26 for me.

My reasoning is, if I'm willing to go to 50 bucks on an item, I certainly should be willing to go to $50.26 cents on an item if I really want it, and want to top out the guy who bid an even 50 clams for it.

More often then not, somebody else was willing to go much higher then me.......rendering the whole thing moot.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:39 AM
J@RR0D

I'm .71
Old 03-08-2022, 03:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The worst part of this thread is now everyone is going to start bidding in oddly bizarre amounts, so no potentially winning bid will ever be safe again!!!

Casey Stengel

Old 03-08-2022, 03:55 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
The worst part of this thread is now everyone is going to start bidding in oddly bizarre amounts, so no potentially winning bid will ever be safe again!!!
Looks like most people already were.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I guess this one is pertinent...

57. Fail Mary
Throwing up a huge, last minute snipe bid and still not winning the auction.

Casey Stengel

Old 03-08-2022, 04:58 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Been doing this since I joined the bay so many years ago.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I think people have known since eBay started to bid with random cents to improve odds of edging out close ones. Been doing this for 20 years.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
HaHa

.25 or .26 for me.

My reasoning is, if I'm willing to go to 50 bucks on an item, I certainly should be willing to go to $50.26 cents on an item if I really want it,
...and if you're willing to go 50.26 you really should be willing to go 50.52, and if you're willing to go 50.52 you really should be willing to go 50.74... oh dear...
Old 03-09-2022, 10:16 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Looks like most people already were.
I used to do that, but then I realized I could just bid up to the next dollar and save some time putting the numbers in.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:14 PM
J@E R1T0

How about the guys who bid based on the player's jersey number?

How many times have I been outbid by a .23 on a Jordan item LOL

Old 03-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
...and if you're willing to go 50.26 you really should be willing to go 50.52, and if you're willing to go 50.52 you really should be willing to go 50.74... oh dear...

STAY.......................... OUT........................... OF ..........................MY .......................HEAD!

Old 03-09-2022, 01:27 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
STAY.......................... OUT........................... OF ..........................MY .......................HEAD!

LOL

Now that is truly funny!!!
Old 03-09-2022, 01:44 PM
Ian H@ll

Quote:

This is me every time I'm bidding near the end of the auction. FOMO is so strong. Before I know it, I'm typing in a bid of 525.67 for an item where I had said my max was $285....
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 03-18-2022, 06:26 PM
Jeff H

I never bid in even dollar amounts. Sometimes I'll bid according to the year of the card. ie 61 topps will be 61 cents etc. other times I just put a random number in. It just depends on the day.