NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemruss View Post
My 4th floor office in a solid granite building in D.C. felt like it was bumping up and down. Nothing fell in my office but I could hear glass shattering down the hall.
I work in the Pentagon half the day then a Crystal City/Arlington office over right off 1. Friggin' terrifying. I lived in Jersey for 20 years before moving down here so earthquakes are totally foreign. When you're walking around a 15 story building and you start shaking all kinds of crap goes through your mind. Not fun at all.

But...we got the rest of the afternoon off and grabbed a few drinks down the street...so all's well that ends well.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Default earthquakes and hurricanes

here in CA, earthquakes are fairly common but 5.8 is still strong no matter where....the 6.9 in 1989 was one I will not soon forget....the cars bouncing up and down, the power lines swinging fiercely from side to side.....and southern California had a few bad ones in the last 20 years also.......but I if I was living on the east coast, I would be much more concerned about the hurricane coming your way....NY for instance is way overdue for a major hit (the last minor ones were in 1985 and 1991, the last big one in 1938).....good luck Barry, I hope it misses you....Bruce Perry
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Bruce- we're expecting some heavy rains from hurricane Irene this weekend, but don't know how bad it will be. The path of a hurricane is hard to predict.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Glad everyone survived...welcome to the tremor club.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM
D.B. Cooper

I was living at my parent's house when the 1989 San Francisco quake (Loma Prieta) hit just as game 1 of the World Series was starting. Being an SF native I'm used to quakes and invariably just ride them out and don't bother to "duck and cover." But about 5 seconds into that one I realized it was a completely different animal, and decided that I'd much rather be outside than in my room. As I ran out the door of my room toward the stairs this hall bookcase (see photo), which was bolted to the wall, and if your scoring at home is 11 feet high and 12 feet long, ripped out of the wall and collapsed - like a tree falling- right in front of me. Missed me by about 2 feet. If I'd decided to run one second earlier - well, not good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bookcase.jpg (72.4 KB, 174 views)

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Pup6913

hope everyone is okay. My family on the coast said it was scary,but not too bad

Last edited by Pup6913; 08-26-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Barry Sloate

Just want to wish everyone along the east coast a safe weekend and hopefully a little bit of luck. I have an apartment in the city and a house on Long Island to deal with, so I'm doubly concerned. It's going to be rough sailing but we'll all get through it.

An earthquake and a hurricane in the same week. Who woulda thunk it?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Just want to wish everyone along the east coast a safe weekend and hopefully a little bit of luck. I have an apartment in the city and a house on Long Island to deal with, so I'm doubly concerned. It's going to be rough sailing but we'll all get through it.

An earthquake and a hurricane in the same week. Who woulda thunk it?
Stay safe Barry...best wishes from across the Sound...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Matt Hall

I was just 7 years old when the whittier earthquake hit in '87. I was in old town Pasadena eating breakfast at rosie's diner when it hit. A lot of buildings there were old and made of brick with no reinforcement... I watched the top floor of a five story building collapse sideways on a gas station before I had a chance to duck and cover. I don't care how many you live through, you'll never get used to it.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Matt. Guess it's heading your way too. Batten the hatches (that's assuming you have hatches).
Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Matt Hall

i just found a photo online that shows the building and damage... I'll never forget the quote on top of the building... I remember the damage different though, maybe it was not a gas station...

Barry, the building my folks live in NY was built in the 1840's so they were kinda scared... Especially after seeing the same thing I saw in '87 (I assume)
Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Barry Sloate

Matt- you don't usually see buildings in California built in the 1840's, that's pretty unusual. And that's a lot of damage.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Matt- you don't usually see buildings in California built in the 1840's, that's pretty unusual. And that's a lot of damage.
I was referring to my Dad's place in Chelsea when I said 1840's... I must have not been clear. The photo is of a building I watched crumble during an earthquake when I was a kid.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Barry Sloate

Actually you were clear...I read it too quickly. Sorry.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Actually you were clear...I read it too quickly. Sorry.
Are you near Irene Barry? I just talked to my Dad, I guess there were evacuations two blocks from where he lives. My girlfriend's sister was evacuated and she lives in Brooklyn. I also know that my pops can't go to his office...
Old 08-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Barry Sloate

Some parts of Brooklyn are being evacuated, those areas that are closest to sea level. I'm in Cobble Hill which is not in that danger zone. But we may still get walloped tomorrow, who knows. It's dark right now with intermittent rain. The storm won't be intensifying until during the night. We shall see.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Some parts of Brooklyn are being evacuated, those areas that are closest to sea level. I'm in Cobble Hill which is not in that danger zone. But we may still get walloped tomorrow, who knows. It's dark right now with intermittent rain. The storm won't be intensifying until during the night. We shall see.
Board up the windows if you can Barry, I can't convince my Dad to. I do, however; have an unreasonable fear of broken glass, which stems from the Northridge quake of '94.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Barry Sloate

I have storm windows, that's the best I can do. Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Scott S

How are folks faring today? No power for me in Boston now, and we had a lot of water in the basement earlier. Thank God nothing of value was near there, although I may now finally have reason to get rid of about 25,000 (now waterlogged) late 80s commons...
Old 08-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Hang in there, Barry!

Irene's really made a mess all the way up to Cape Cod, but we are in Framingham and got mostly high winds and bursts of heavy rain.

I hope you are ok, Barry, and all our friends up and down the coast.

All my thoughts and prayers go out to you all!

Your Friend,

Bill Hedin

Quote:
Old 08-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Barry Sloate

Where I live we were very lucky. We had a lot of rain during the night but no flooding. The winds weren't as strong as expected and no trees or large branches came down around here. The rain stopped a while ago and just in the last hour the winds picked up to maybe 30 or 40 MPH gusts. I know some people were flooded but we dodged a bullet.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:52 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Default Minor League Stadium

Thought I'd share this picture I found of the local minor league park after the storm

DJ
Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Scott S

Damn DJ, that does not look good! I know 732 is New Jersey - what team / stadium is that?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:49 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Scott, it is TD Bank Ballpark (Somerville Patriots) in Bridgewater NJ

DJ
Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Barry Sloate

Looks like their season is over...that's a lot of water.