NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Default Urgent Fraud Prevention Group Notice

Posted By: Robert

Anybody else get one of these emails? Rob {Bigb13}Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:18:06 +0200 Subject: TKO Notice: Urgent Fraud Investigation To: bigb104776@yahoo.com From: aw-confirm@ebay.com Add to Address Book ***Urgent Fraud Prevention Group Notice*** You have received this email because we have strong reason to believe that your eBay account had been recently compromised. In order to prevent any fraudulent activity from occurring we are required to open an investigation into this matter. To speed up this process, you are required to verify your eBay account by following the link below. https://signin.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&UsingSSL=1(To complete the verification process you must fill in all the required fields) Please Note: If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume this account is fraudulent and will be suspended. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used and to combat fraud. We appreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade. Thank you for your attention on this serious matter. We apologize for any delay in resolving this situation. Regards, Morris FranklineBay SafeHarborInvestigations Team Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. eBay treats your personal information with the utmost care, and our Privacy Policy is designed to protect you and your information. Copyright © 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

FRAUD in it's truest form.

Known as "phishing".

If you reply at all ... you are screwed.

DELETE IT and IGNORE IT.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Two rules for such emails:

To check on your eBay or PayPal status, do not go through links provided in email. Go to your web browser, type in the site's address ('www.eBay.com'), log on and check status. Through the email links, these scams are trying to get you to go to a false website.

Never feel rushed and always take your time. Do not hurry to 'fix things' asap as the email threatened to close your account in two seconds. If there is a legitimate problem (i.e. your credit card expired and you accidentally forgot to update), eBay and PayPal will always give you minimally days to update. Take your time, and see what's up.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Samson

I wrote Ebay last evening and this is a SPOOF email that is desigend to steal your info. It looks so real, that is the frightening part of it.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

In all cases they ask you to click on a link that looks legit - just look at where the link is actually sending you. If it is different from the "text" of the link, then it's a spoof.

I delete all emails like this without even checking. If ebay or Paypal really wants to suspend my account, sobeit.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

What's so stupid about it is, why would the real eBay need me to tell them what my credit card number is? They've had and used it for two years. They know the number better than I do. If anything, I would have to ask them what my number is.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

Forward the email to spoof@ebay.com - you'll get an automated message telling you whether it came from them. This one definitely didn't.

"phishing" - http://www.antiphishing.org/

previous thread on this topic - http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1087406976

Old 08-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I get emails like this roughly every other day. It so heart warming to know eBay cares so much about my security. I take runscott's approach: I delete them without checking.

Old 08-27-2004, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

They must not like you too much. I get about 1-2 EVERY darn day.....I never open them anymore and just scroll down, highlighting all emails from places I don't know, and do one fell swoop of a delete... whether it's ebay, paypal, penile enlargement, girls with 3 boobs, or whatever........later