NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Speaking of patents, I do see that as of 2017 there is a Patent Pending for computer grading technology.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160210734A1/en
Who are these guys?
Inventor: Stephen Brent Kass, Edward Korbel, Daniel R. Barbakow, Robert Alan Cook

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-04-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:52 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Who are these guys?
Inventor: Stephen Brent Kass, Edward Korbel, Daniel R. Barbakow, Robert Alan Cook
There are few more listed in the newest application:

https://patents.justia.com/patent/20180004756

Quote:
Inventors: Stephen Brent Kass (Los Angeles, CA), Edward Korbel (Sherman Oaks, CA), Daniel R. Barbakow (Los Angeles, CA), Robert Alan Cook (Encino, CA), Scot Maxwell (Tustin, CA), Hayden Blauzvern (Austin, TX), Megan Shao (Torrance, CA), Ben Teng (Santa Clara, CA), Avi Thaker (Austin, TX)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

These guys know of what they speak.

"Awareness in the marketplace of the possibilities for resubmitted cards receiving higher grades has resulted in card owners breaking open the “tamper proof” holders and resubmitting the cards multiple times, if necessary, without disclosing that the card has been previously graded.

The variance in grades for resubmitted cards combined with the subjective and inconsistent card grading process itself results in creating a lack of confidence in the marketplace necessary to sustain a stable and efficient market.

The present process utilized in the grading industry creates opportunity for larger collectors (e.g. larger customers of the card grading companies) to manipulate the current system's subjective grading to their advantage by re-submitting cards for a higher grade based upon natural human variability or their influence as a large customer. Small collectors lack sufficient size to “influence” card grading and often sell cards at lower prices due to the lower grades they receive."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-04-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:56 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Speaking of patents, I do see that as of 2017 there is a Patent Pending for computer grading technology.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160210734A1/en
That is some good stuff there. Looks like I made some people a lot of money

Member since 2009
Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:

I wonder how many of those guys are members here on NET54?

Member since 2009
Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I've known about this saying for many years but thanks to you I now know that the Fonz was wearing his leather jacket when he jumped said shark.

Brian
Old 06-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Sean Sullivan

Are you saying that YOU are the one who actually invented this?
Did you file for a patent application?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
Are you saying that YOU are the one who actually invented this?
Yes I did

No worries. Hard to prove its your unique idea when its written and built almost to a T from someone else plans and ideas from 10 years prior to filing.

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 06-04-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Steve Birmingham

The problem isn't subjectivity, it isn't that people are doing the grading. It's right there in the patent.

"Each of the grading companies grade cards by human evaluation, primarily with the naked eye and typically devote approximately one minute per card during the grading process. "

That's why things are a mess.

Last edited by steve B; 06-04-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: adited for clarity
Old 06-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The problem isn't subjectivity, it isn't that people are doing the grading. It's right there in the patent.

"Each of the grading companies grade cards by human evaluation, primarily with the naked eye and typically devote approximately one minute per card during the grading process. "

I would guess it would be actually much less.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Barry Sloate

The grading industry is long overdue for a major overhaul. I hope that whatever technology will be used corrects some or all of the curent problems. I really don't want to hear about the subjectivity of grading. I want to hear about a system that grades cards correctly and will deliver that same grade no matter how many times a card is reviewed. I don't want to hear stories about cards being submitted three times and getting three different grades. If it can't be done right, then it shouldn't be done at all.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:20 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Who are these guys?
Well one is a software engineer for Intel another one for Google, there's a lawyer in there a data scientist for Microsoft etc...These folks are not messing around!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I invented the blind spot indicator lights on cars' mirrors to let you know when someone is in your blind spot years before they ever showed up on a car. I wish I had patented that idea even to this day. I always said I was going to sell the idea to Mercedes or BMW as it would have to come out on a luxury car first and then it would become a common feature on all cars. Sure enough...

Oh well. Back to my desk and paycheck.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Gulp. I'm SGC's lawyer. Now what?
Old 06-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Awkward...

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-05-2018, 02:29 AM
Jas.on Char.nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

i’d posit that if need a whole minute to go over a card (esp if you have a loupe and a grid overlay for centering-which i would hope professional graders have in their toolbox) to grade it, that you’re a slowpoke doing it wrong.

Last edited by charnick; 06-05-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If I were a current TPG I would be looking at this very closely. Wow....Some serious research here.

Quote:

Old 06-05-2018, 05:58 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I left my address and phone number in one of the earlier post in this thread so do what you gotta do.

Member since 2009
Old 06-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
I left my address and phone number in one of the earlier post in this thread so do what you gotta do.
I'll be doing nothing but ok.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Chase

Quote:

Hi Fellas,

New guy here. Saw they also secured trademarks. https://trademarks.justia.com/owners...g-llc-3035778/ Interesting stuff. Despite current grading approaches needing an overhaul, I am not sure this is THE answer.

Chase
Old 06-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Kyle May

One question I have regarding the process of grading a card via scanning...

Pre-War cards, particularly tobacco cards, tend to have ink errors and/or stamps. How will marks be detected vs. printing errors, and how will the grade be affected?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-05-2018, 01:31 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post

Pre-War cards, particularly tobacco cards, tend to have ink errors and/or stamps. How will marks be detected vs. printing errors, and how will the grade be affected?
I am not involved, but I would assume the program would know the ink colors used and be able to distinguish between ink from the printing process vs ink that was added later.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

I confess I haven't studied the patent. Do these guys actually have a machine that can grade a card which they have tested, or is it just a design?

Old 06-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post

I would assume the digital images of prior cards would be saved for comparison. Doing this they could do something completely amazing for the hobby.

Imagine SGC using there 100 point system to the fullest, having a T206 Cobb graded SGC 5.3 while another graded 5.8. Regrades would be rolling in and NO MORE DARN STICKERS!!.

Just my opinion: have two thinner gaskets with the card sealed in a nice sleeve in between. They don't have to change the look and no more sliding under the gasket or edge damage. I have a few in bad need of this!!
Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, to roll out a new, "more accurate" grading system, but then revert to a 10 point scale seems bizarre. You could deduct a single percentage point for a fisheye, or depression on the surface of a card. Having to downgrade it a half grade or no downgrade at all seems counter-intuitive.
I guess the standardization of monetizing a card's value would be too splintered with additional grading divisions, so maybe that's why it's on the way out. (That's presuming they are switching to the 10 point scale, which is implied by the images of the new flips; maybe they're mock-ups?)

My worry about computerized grading is that no card is technically perfect. Say the computer spits out the best graded card out of thousands of modern cards that get submitted and it's a 94%. Are they going to declare that 94% to be the standard for an SGC 100/10 Pristine? Are they never going to award a 100, 98, or 96 again? If the best grade a person submitted to SGC could gain is a NM-MT+, is anyone going to submit to a company when they could get a BGS 9.5 or PSA 10 with a human grader? I also think the whole idea is overblown, and that the market is doing just fine with cards being graded by humans on the whole. If it wasn't there wouldn't be an exponential increase in the value of high grade vintage commons like there is.

Someone could also flood the initial submissions with this new computerized grading with good quality fakes, and if not caught, those could be the first cadre of slabbed/scanned cards, and become the standard which real cards are compared to.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

I wouldn't doubt SGC already has 1000's of cards already scanned before even the announcement of the new system and they're not going to blindly scan a card w/o authenticity. The initial website, before the take-down, was most likely to spur forum conversations and inputs.

This isn't for the dying vintage submissions which is/will be plaguing all TPG, this is for the NEW, shiny stuff produced every year. A full 100 pt grading would be VERY cool but may be a bit much. But on the high end shiny, it would make sense: Mint 90-94, Gem Mint 95-99, Pristine 100. How many BGS Gem Mint combos are there, couple dozen?

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 06-05-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:05 PM
James Gallo

I got the email this morning some time, does anyone have a clue why the new stuff was taken down. Seems really silly to send out an email like that then pull it down.

I have supported SGC forever cause I like the look of the insert and I hate the floating and inconsistent casing PSA does on pre war stuff. Although I am sure that pre war makes up a small overall percentage of what people submit it is all I really care about. If these changes come through I am not sure what I will do, the large number is far too big and looks silly. One of the comic book grading companies made the grade number much bigger but it's a far larger item so, I am now used to the new look. Not sure I could even get used to this.

I guess time will tell but again why in the world was it pulled down??

James Gallo
Old 06-11-2018, 03:29 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Lawsuit?

Paging the good counselor

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Some more details here: https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...cess-upgrades/
Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Sounds like some positive changes. And I guess I'm going to be the one person who kinda likes the look of the new label. I won't know for sure until I see one in person though.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Tony. Biviano

I like the idea of "grader notes". Sometimes you wonder how they came up with a certain grade.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Grader Notes = "Subgrades"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
I like the idea of "grader notes". Sometimes you wonder how they came up with a certain grade.

...Beckett older slabs used "subgrades" --they still show up on E-Bay...

Old 06-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Robert Williams

I rather have an '8' OC than a BVG 4 any day...and twice on Sunday.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Everything in the SCD article sounds really positive for SGC customers. I just wonder whether they've lost the chance to really compete regardless of what they offer. The changes aren't likely to entice mainstream PSA loyalists because of the registry. Perhaps their target is Beckett, which is so swamped that they are stopping certain services until they get through their backlog. SGC mgmt. has to envy that level of business by a non-PSA competitor.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Are the old serial numbers from SGC’s slabs going to be incorporated into the new system?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Everything in the SCD article sounds really positive for SGC customers. I just wonder whether they've lost the chance to really compete regardless of what they offer. The changes aren't likely to entice mainstream PSA loyalists because of the registry. Perhaps their target is Beckett, which is so swamped that they are stopping certain services until they get through their backlog. SGC mgmt. has to envy that level of business by a non-PSA competitor.
What do you think they would need to do in order to challenge PSA? I would say overhaul their registry and it seems like they are doing that...
Old 06-20-2018, 01:52 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I hope they don't get rid of the green border like they did for a hot second a few years ago. I was one of many that complained about that on here.

SGC, please keep the green border labels. Collectors like uniformity in their collection. By all means improve the black gasket to prevent slippage, make stronger plastic cases, and enhance the label security, do the 10-point scale, but keep the green border.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Ben W.hitener

Default from OGK creative

Looks like black, gold, and purple are the new proposed colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (53.3 KB, 403 views)
Old 06-20-2018, 02:42 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Wow, that’s crazy. I understand the need to stay new and innovative, but forest green is their identity. You won’t see PSA getting rid of their red ever.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:46 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

It would be cool if SGC showed maybe 6 concepts and there would be a public vote for the winning design.

Maybe it’s too late in the production process, but I know SGC is excellent when it comes to their customer service. It would be great if the consumer had a little say in the final look.

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 06-20-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Ben W.hitener

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
Wow, that’s crazy. I understand the need to stay new and innovative, but forest green is their identity. You won’t see PSA getting rid of their red ever.
i can't even imagine a purple colored flip...
Old 07-05-2018, 08:36 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
i can't even imagine a purple colored flip...
Maybe they're coordinating with the purple sticker morons.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:38 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Maybe they're coordinating with the purple sticker morons.
LOL!! I was thinking the same!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 03:28 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

With all the stuff going on with BGS and PSA I wanted to revisit this thread and remember all the hope SGC instilled in us for a new way of grading.

SGC really dropped the ball again. With all the scandal with PSA and BGS this would have been the time to take advantage, but they still haven't lived up to a lot of their ides from a year ago.

Their 'new' site still takes you to the 'legacy' site when looking up the registry and pop reports. A lot of the goals outlined on SCD never came to fruition.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...cess-upgrades/

The only thing that really came to fruition from this thread was the new flips.

And whoever is behind the patent for the AI computer grading would do well to get that rolling out ASAP to take advantage of a hobby that is looking for an alternative. Even if they can't actually start taking submissions maybe at least try and get the word out there that they are coming.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
With all the stuff going on with BGS and PSA I wanted to revisit this thread and remember all the hope SGC instilled in us for a new way of grading.

SGC really dropped the ball again. With all the scandal with PSA and BGS this would have been the time to take advantage, but they still haven't lived up to a lot of their ides from a year ago.

Their 'new' site still takes you to the 'legacy' site when looking up the registry and pop reports. A lot of the goals outlined on SCD never came to fruition.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...cess-upgrades/

The only thing that really came to fruition from this thread was the new flips.

And whoever is behind the patent for the AI computer grading would do well to get that rolling out ASAP to take advantage of a hobby that is looking for an alternative. Even if they can't actually start taking submissions maybe at least try and get the word out there that they are coming.
Weeks ago I asked why the guarantee was no longer on the website. I was told they were looking at the language and it would be back up soon. It wasn't when I checked very recently. Does anyone know what's up with that?

Old 08-01-2019, 04:11 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Yes where did these guys go???
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Yes where did these guys go???
Probably back to the drawing board, literally.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Ben North

They do the best job in grading by far IMHO. But damn they run the company like a bunch of pot heads. Anything that actually involves moving does not get done.