NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Legendary Problems

Hi All,

Just wanted to make you aware of some problems in the new legendary auction. Sorry for such short notice on this. I alerted Legendary on Tuesday evening and "they are looking into the matter" and if they are convinced or validate my findings they will pull the item or alert the winning bidder of these issues.

Item #259 is a 1949 Yankees Salesman Sample. The problem with yankee salesman sample rings from the 40's-60's is that they are fake. I have never seen a real one. This one is blatantly wrong in that the forger did not research the real ring and got the side shanks entirely wrong! I sent pictures of player Tommy Byrne's ring to Legendary. It is so authentic, Tommy even kept the leather ring box! Legendary acknowledged the email and replied to me that they were looking into it. The first 3 pictures is Tommy's ring. The 4th picture is the shank of the ring in Legendary's current auction. Please note all rings from this time period had identiacal left and right shanks.

Additional problems: lot 275 - Eli Grba's ring. Legendary finally acknowledged that the ring they are offering is 10K and that all rings from this Year should be 14K. Another problem which they are not acknowledging is that the the engraving is an obvious fake and did not come from Balfour with that engraving. If you look at the Balfour mark (oh boy, you have to see this to believe this and the engraving you will see how unusual the inside of the ring is.

Last is item no. 515. A player superbowl II ring that the auction house claims is in "magnificent mint condition". as I wrote yesterday to Mr. Allen, the reason it's in such great shape is that the ring was made many years after the superbowl was played. The real Packer rings were 14K gold. The ring in the auction is 10K gold. The real packer rings were marked inside "JOSTEN 14K". back in the 60's that's how Jostens marked their rings (no "S"). this ring has the later mark "JOSTENS 10K". My original Packer ring that I own has two holes inside the ring called tubes to hold in place the top of the ring. Legendary's offering does not have tubes so the top must have been glued in. It will be interesting to see if Legenday will post these issues on the auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00074501.jpg (23.6 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg 00074502.JPG (48.5 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg 00074503.JPG (74.7 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg 1949.jpg (36.7 KB, 275 views)
Old 08-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Default Fake rings

Thank you very very much for that post. I asked them to pull my bids.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

Based on what you posted about JOSTENS vs. JOSTEN in the 1960s, what would you conclude about the 1968 Ohio State salesman's sample ring?

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDeta...x?lotid=110779

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

a real salesman sample ring can be made at any time. so if it's real, there is nothing wrong with the more modern stamping. sadly, many of the salesman samples are fakes. I am not sure about this ring. sorry.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Doug Allen

Doug called me about my emails to his company today. Doug was a gentleman and shared with me that the superbowl II ring had some issues. also the 1960 Yankee ring was updated on the internet and now mentions that a the original rings were made of 14K not 10K.

Doug requested that I update this post to let people know that he is trying to do the right thing.

However, I almost fell out of my chair when Doug refuesed to agree that the 1949 Yankee ring on their site is an absolute copy and that the shanks are wrong. Doug feels he needs to do additional research and that he feels he has paperwork that shows the ring was made by Balfour. I asked him to share the paperwork and tell me more but he did not have the time to discuss this matter.

He does say he will stand behind the sale and that the buyer can return the ring. My question is how will the buyer know? I mentioned that if this was an item in Robert Edwards, the item would be pulled, end of story.

Oh well, I tried!