NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-08-2014, 11:32 AM

Default Set Builders-Hard to find commons/stars

I have been working on the 1958 Topps set for 7 years in PSA nm or better. These are the cards I had the most difficulty finding (some I am still looking for). Stars #2 Lemon, #25 Drysdale, #85 Aparicio and commons #34 Thurman, #78 Johnson, #117 Torre, #223 Pafko #256 White Sox Team, #312Red Sox Team, #355 Bruton, #392 Daniels and #474 Semproch. The Maris and Mantle have large populations but finding a nicely centered one is very difficult and costly.
Don't know where I am going for my next set, but would be interested to hear from other set builders what cards they are having a difficult time finding for their sets. 50' and 60's Topps baseball mostly but also the late 30's and 40's sets like Play Ball. Does not have to be about graded cards, original too.
Thanks,
Bill D.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have been on a many year long all but futile quest to finish out my 1968 Atlantic Oil set. Briefly, the cards were issued in 2-card game pieces at gas stations. Forty of them are readily obtained [condition is a huge challenge because the glue from the game piece edging frequently damaged the cards]. Ten of the cards were prize-winners, nearly all of which were presumably redeemed. The grand prize winners--the big money cards--are likely one of ones and long gone.

One other redemption card was issued and it is a lot 'commoner' than others; it got you a booklet of records and stats from the gas station. Not easy but doable; I found one of those:

The cash money prize cards are just about impossible. The only one I've ever seen:

The way it looks to have been cut open suggests it was from a small hoard of unopened packets that surfaced around 20 years ago in So Cal.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-08-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If you're talking about centering, look no further than 1972. There is a ridiculously large number of commons (and stars, too, obviously) that are impossible to find even decently centered. The entire Topps Quality Control Department must have been spending their days at the roller rink listening to "American Pie" and getting stoned to bejeezus that year!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 09-08-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM

I have often thought about doing the Atlantic Oil set, but decided what's the point if you cannot complete it.

I am 99.9% sure the high dollar redemption cards (Agee and Freehan - $2500 and Banks and Davis - $100) do not exist any more.

If they did, they surely would have surfaced. It makes you wonder what happened to them, were they cut in half when redeemed, thrown out?

Or maybe they never were even released.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Bi11..R0berts

As I recall the Billy Martin and Bob Cerv were tough to find centered in the '56 Topps set, it's been a few years since I completed mine. I'm in the tail end of the '61 Topps set and the Coates #531 is always OC. Kaline #429 seems to always be OC and and/or with a titled image. I agree with Darren, centering is tough on the '72s but just the # of cards in the set is exhausting!
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 09-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Default 1957 Topps :: centering weenies' nightmare

.....and ''focus'' was interesting sometimes... nice set though.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:12 PM

Those 57's look a lot like mine. It is a hard set for centering and the premium you have to pay is high for them. Can't imagine putting the 72 set together 1 by 1. Even doing some small lots the extra you would pay in Ebay shipping would be too much. I'm leaning toward the 62 or 65 set for the 60's and 57 or 59 for the 50's. Also, one of the Play Ball sets but not sure which one would be best as far as budget and availability. I like to get the tough cards out of the way fast. I get discouraged if I save them for last. I've never looked into the off beat 60's sets but I like one discussed here. Is it expensive in low grade?