NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Default The worst news a collector could possibly hear

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

pays for outside insurance (at least to my knowledge). When I sent in my W600 collection to them, they had me send it UPS and they sent me a rider for outside insurance they purchased on the package. When you do millions in dollars of shipping, you can buy insurance at less than the assessed 35 cents per hundred dollars that UPS charges. For the average shipment, you can't purchase it that cheap to my knowledge. I'm sure Mastronet has a general insurance policy for loss......

Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

try talking to Steve Rocchi - great guy (and he will help you out)!

Old 12-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Scott, speaking solely for myself, the reason I turned to GAI was three fold: 1) PSA seemed to be grading cards which appeared to many collectors to be altered and their reputation was erroding as being objective in grading despite who the submitter was; 2) SGC was being brutal on their grading of caramel cards and I felt their grades were unduly harsh (I have since learned that they are that way on almost everyone's caramel cards) and 3) Mike Baker was at GAI and he is a respected grader plus the holders looked nice (except I soon learned they had a lot of floaters coming back to me) and GAI appeared to be a collector/consumer friendly company, thus I submitted many cards to them over the past year and a half. I felt the grading was consistent although not always what I had hoped for, but I think all collectors think their cards should grade higher.
What I didn't care for was the lack of assistance I received from GAI during this whole fiasco. When I emailed Steve Rocchi and then called on November 2nd because my graded cards had not made it back to me yet and it seemed like it was taking an inordinate amount of time, I was just told that "oh your cards have already been shipped." Period, nothing else. No offer to check and see what was going on. Because I relied on that answer and that attitude of nonchalance, I didn't know GAI had shipped them October 15th, so it wasn't until I started doing my own checking around that I found that the cards had been lying around at the Little Rock UPS facility since October 25th. This discovery wasn't made until the middle of November and any chance of finding them had by that time disappeared. How simple it would have been if someone at GAI had simply answered my emails during the latter part of October, early part of November to say, "gee, Bob, let us check what is going on, we sent them on October 15th, they should have been there by now. Let me do a quick check with UPS and find out what happened." Instead I was constantly told when calling GAI during the middle of November that people would "get back to me after lunch" or other excuses and no one ever called. Finally I got hold of Johnny Moe in shipping and together we pieced things together. I still was the one who had to request the trace, the one who call to UPS, etc, and the ironic part was that UPS would tell me that since I was not the shipper they couldn't tell me squat, I would have to contact the sender (who wasn't telling me anything).
Thank God I received my reimbursement check after staying on GAI. I had to fax them the paperwork from UPS to complete the claim, myself, and wait and wait.
It was not a very pleasant situation. I thought I might receive an apology from GAI or even a few free submissions or something (not that I expected it) out of courtesy to a loyal customer, but I received nothing. I credit Johnny Moe at GAI for his help but the rest of the people at GAI were totally indifferent. I know I have read a coupe of posts about what great guys Rocchi and Baker are, but I am simply relating my experiences with them.
P.S. I sent a large submission to SGC recently and am planning to send another one soon.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

All valid reasons for using GAI. I submitted a few cards to PSA several years ago, then switched to SGC. So far there has been only one point where I considered abandoning them - the e95 Cobb debaucle - but when all three companies screwed the pooch I couldn't see any point in switching. Plus, SGC's customer service has improved slightly since their management change.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I was initially skeptical of GAI, then tried them briefly, and am now skeptical again because of (1) overgrading, (2) mess-ups on every order I've made, and (3) friggin' slipping holders. I mean, these shmucks graded some of my certified autographed cards as "authentic" but graded others in a different order; of course they are authentic, idiots, the card companies warranted that. Talk about dumb and dumber...