NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Phil Garry

Default Pat Gillick Elected

I watched the press conference this morning on MLB channel and Pat Gillick was the only electee for the Hall of Fame with Marvin Miller falling one vote short.

Thus far, I have not been able to uncover any Gillick cards that exist, does anyone know of anything?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

GM for three WS winning teams gets you into the HOF?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Steve Murray

At least he got in before he died.

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 12-06-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

As between the two it seems to me Marvin Miller is much more deserving.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
GM for three WS winning teams gets you into the HOF?
and GM for the 2001 Mariners, that won more games than any other team except the 1906 Cubs. The body of his work is impressive, but I admit I'm not sure how to compare him to others. Comparing GM's is inherently problematic, come to think of it. Does anyone care about the non-players anyway?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
and GM for the 2001 Mariners, that won more games than any other team except the 1906 Cubs. The body of his work is impressive, but I admit I'm not sure how to compare him to others. Comparing GM's is inherently problematic, come to think of it. Does anyone care about the non-players anyway?
If someone made an exceptional contribution to the fabric of the game, like a Marvin Miller, I can see it and have no issue with it. But it's a slippery slope at the general manager level, I agree.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Ken Wirt

Glad you posted this Phil, as I was gonna contact you about ANY potential Gillick cards. Damn, the only guy on the ballot that there is probably nothing available of! Being a HOF collector (and trying to obtain even non-players) can be a beeeyotch sometimes! But it keeps life interesting... Lemme know if you find anything, and I'll do the same.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Good for Gillick, but IMO there are too many non-players/managers that are being enshrined into the HOF. Maybe I'm in the minority but I really don't want Marvin Miller to get into the Baseball HOF--he was a labor leader. Sure, he had an impact on the game (positive or negaive--depending on which camp you are in) but he didn't play, have any direct impact on any game outcomes and shouldn't get in. I know there are other people you could say the same thing about (Kuhn, Bulkeley, umpires, etc., etc.) but just because mistakes have been made in the past doesn't mean we should keep making them.

Also, I'm not a big fan of GM's getting inducted because now you gotta go back in history and induct the 8-10 GM's that were at least as successful as Gillick--not a fan of that ever happening.

Before you know it there will be a call for Bill James to be inducted because of his statistical analysis and how it has impacted the game!

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-06-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Phil Garry

Just discovered a card of Gillick which was produced by the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame, not sure yet of the date of issue but he was selected in 1997.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post

Before you know it there will be a call for Bill James to be inducted because of his statistical analysis and how it has impacted the game!
This absolutely will happen in our lifetime, imo.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Rob, I agree it will probably happen in our lifetime, BUT I don't want it to happen. Regardless of whether it has revolutionized the way we interpret statistics or not.

IMO Broadcasters, GM's, Umpires, Commissioners, Labor Leaders, Satisticians, etc. should not be located in the same HOF as the ballplayers and Managers. Maybe a seperate wing within the HOF but not members on par with the actual participants in the game. I know most will disagree with my take but I accept that.
-Rhett

Old 12-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Rob, I agree it will probably happen in our lifetime, BUT I don't want it to happen. Regardless of whether it has revolutionized the way we interpret statistics or not.

IMO Broadcasters, GM's, Umpires, Commissioners, Labor Leaders, Satisticians, etc. should not be located in the same HOF as the ballplayers and Managers. Maybe a seperate wing within the HOF but not members on par with the actual participants in the game. I know most will disagree with my take but I accept that.
-Rhett
Aren't most of them technically in a separate wing? Thought was the case already, could be wrong about that though and too lazy to look it up!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Chris Counts

I'm really glad I'm not a Hall of Fame collector. As I often say, there are too many suits and not enough flannels in Cooperstown. Just wait until it's Bud's turn ...
Old 12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Miller

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really don't want Marvin Miller to get into the Baseball HOF--he was a labor leader. Sure, he had an impact on the game (positive or negaive--depending on which camp you are in) but he didn't play, have any direct impact on any game outcomes and shouldn't get in.

Very well put, Rhett. You hit the Miller situation perfectly.
Not one single player got in?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Ken Wirt

Dave (toppcat),

The writers and broadcasters are indeed, given a separate wing and are NOT, in fact considered INDUCTEES of the HOF. They are actually considered HONOREES. Fellow broadcasters often call their peers Hall-of-famers, but that's technically not correct. However, players, managers, umpires, executives and pioneers ARE inductees, and thus true members of the hall. I agree Rhett, I wish that only players and managers were given that distinction. The umps and execs should be honored like the writers and broadcasters but not on equal footing as the players. BUT.... I collect ALL the inductees, so now I'm off to find a Pat Gillick card!

Last edited by triwak; 12-06-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Ken Wirt

BTW Rhett,

Thanks for the 1928 Zeenut Bud Teachout card - just arrived today! He's the grandfather of a good friend of mine, and I've been looking for that one for awhile. I'll post it on the pick-up thread as soon as I get a new scanner!

Ken Wirt
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
JeR@Me

Default Rhett-I concur...

Rhett - I absolutely concur with everything you said... I only collect HOF Players and Managers for the very reasons you mentioned. Not collecting the others is my personal protest to the watered down nature of Cooperstown. I am getting where I can't seriously call it a Hall of Fame anymore. With this GM election, I will now refer to the Hall of Fame as simply The Hall or Cooperstown going forward. Totally getting watered down with popular vote, etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Bottom line, baseball is a sport. As such, a-t-h-l-e-t-e-s should be enshrined there. Those with the strength, talent and determination to rise above their peers. Honor the suits, but don't induct them. IMO. I never even heard of this guy until a few days ago. So the word Fame, may not be suitable here.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Phil Garry

How does everyone feel about the negro leaguers (players) and pioneers ie- Spalding, Wright, Cummings, etc.?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I think of the early founders of baseball a bit different I guess as they made the game what it is--probably doesn't make any sense but I don't have a major problem with Henry Chadwick being in. Harry Wright, Candy Cummings, and Al Spalding all played the game as well, so no problems with them being in the HOF.

Most of the Negro Leaguers/non-MLB players probably deserve to be there but again they went and inducted the likes of Effa Manley, which was silly to me. Again, all of this is just one man's opinion but I'd much rather see a Tony Mullane, Deacon White, Lefty O'Doul, or Ron Santo be inducted than Doug Harvey, Pat Gillick, Marvin Miller, Bowie Kuhn, Effa Manley, etc., etc.

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-06-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 PM

Just because someone makes an impact, doesn't make it a good impact.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Ken Wirt

I see now that Gillick was a left-handed pitcher with the 1958 NCAA Championship USC team. He then apparently was with the Orioles farm system for 5 years, before becoming a scout for Houston. Makes me wonder if there might be a USC team postcard or perhaps a minor league card of this guy? As I said before, sometimes acquiring challenging cards of unusual people can be fun and interesting.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Ken, it looks like he just missed out on being included in the 1963 Scheible Press Rochester Red Wings cards--bummer!

Also, glad you are happy with the Teachout card--it is a pretty tough one w/ all the Seattle collectors out there!

-Rhett

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-06-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 PM

Our guys become eligible in 2012. The Veterans Committee will elect 1880-1940ish players in 2012 with guys playing 1940ish to 1960ish being considered next year. Not sure of the exact dates but Ed Reulbach, Mike Donlin, Deacon Phillipe and Bill Dahlen all have another shot in 2012.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:33 PM

Glad to see Gillick get in before Steinbrenner. George will be in soon I am afraid. Gillick turned around several franchises and made winners of them- Baltimore, Seattle, Toronto, which collapsed after he left. I'm not thrilled with GMs and owners making it in to the Hall but Gillick deserved it if anyone did.
By the way, unless a certain core of guys voting die suddenly, Marvin Miller won't be getting in. Did you read the comments about the anti-labor voters like Andy McPhail who voted? Ouch!