NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)
Default Remember these COKE Caps

Every Saturday morning I would walk with my Mom to go down town to the butcher the one with saw dust on the floor. They would let go through the caps These are the two caps I saved. Sorry for the blurry photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment (1).jpg (5.7 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (6.4 KB, 545 views)
Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yep, one of the first sports things I tried collecting. We went to a cookout and being 4 I was fascinated by bottlecaps with pictures inside. I rounded up a couple pockets full before mom found out and refused to let me bring home "dirty old bottlecaps".

I have a pretty good collection of them now

Steve B
Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Alan U

Love these caps. I only have a few, really like the CFL one's that have the pictures on the outside of the caps.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 PM

They also did Football. If you got them all you got a football. I got all but about 30 of them. So I DREW those in and my mom and dad drove me somewhere in CT to a redemption place. At first they werent going to give me the football because I didnt have all the caps. But my mom convinced them that it was too much to ask for a 7 year old and told them how hard I had tried.

I got the YA Tittle football and this will come as no surprise to this bunch but I still have the football...although its far from mint.

One of the ways I got more caps is that our church had a Coke machine. People would buy a Coke and then snap off the cap on the little bottle opener on the machine. The cap would drop down into a hole. I tied a magnet to a string and then I hung around after church (my parents were Sunday school teachers). I stuck the string down the hole and pulled up the caps one by one.

Dont get me started with what I did in 1975 when Hostess had the cards on the bottom of boxes.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Jim

I think it was '67 - needed 5 complete sets of the football caps to redeem for a football at the local coke distributor. We used to ride around on our bikes and visit all the local gas stations that had coke machines out front. We tied magnets on the end of strings and would dip them down into the bucket under the recessed bottle opener and retrieve the spent caps - station owners didn't care. Several of us completed the 5 sets and got footballs within a few weeks that fall...
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM

I also would either use the magnet on a string. But the most efficient way to get bottle caps was just to ask the janitor who restocked the machine at our school to save them. he'd dump them in a box for us kids, and we'd stuff our pockets at school the next day.

We used to collect all caps, and trade them, not just sports related one.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 AM
John

I recall the pain of finding a cap with a significant bend caused by the bottle opener. Much less appealing the ones that would lay flat.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Default COKE caps

A few I picked up a while ago....which brands are the tuffer ones to obtain??

-Claude
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAPS-3.jpg (56.4 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg CAPS-4.jpg (61.1 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg CAPS-1.jpg (56.4 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg CAPS-2.jpg (60.3 KB, 378 views)
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Grant Rainsley

For spending money for cards when I was a kid I used to pick up pop bottles from ditches and cash them in at the local store in South Vancouver. The owners got to know me quite well,and I also shovelled snow from the front of their store for fifty cents. They knew I was going to buy cards or Sgt. Fury comics in their store right after they paid me. Smart. They also gave me the key to their pop machine to get the CFL caps in 1965. The pop machine was a slider, so if you were buying a Coke or a Sprite, you could see who was on the cap, and with careful manipulation of the botles in the sliders, you could always get the one you wanted. I know I put together at least four sets (230 in a set) and still have a couple of large bags of leftovers........yeah, I'm a packrat. Love those caps though....thanks for bringing back the memories!

Grant
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsley View Post
For spending money for cards when I was a kid I used to pick up pop bottles from ditches and cash them in at the local store in South Vancouver. The owners got to know me quite well,and I also shovelled snow from the front of their store for fifty cents. They knew I was going to buy cards or Sgt. Fury comics in their store right after they paid me. Smart. They also gave me the key to their pop machine to get the CFL caps in 1965. The pop machine was a slider, so if you were buying a Coke or a Sprite, you could see who was on the cap, and with careful manipulation of the botles in the sliders, you could always get the one you wanted. I know I put together at least four sets (230 in a set) and still have a couple of large bags of leftovers........yeah, I'm a packrat. Love those caps though....thanks for bringing back the memories!

Grant
You must be a bit older than me Grant, but I remember looking for the pop bottles in alleys and ditches to get that 2 cents per bottle! Then using that money for cards, candy, or cokes. I remember these bottle caps, but could never hope to get more than a couple. I remember my neighbor though having a large collection of these (only child, his dad spoiled him). Wish I could have gotten more back then!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Grant Rainsley

Born in '51, and yes, two cents a bottle was huge if you could find 10 of them........that translated into four packs of cards, not to mention the bonus gum......what a bonanza!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966CUDA View Post
A few I picked up a while ago....which brands are the tuffer ones to obtain??

-Claude
Anything non-coke is uncommon, at least around here. I have the whole Boston baseball set from 67 and most of a 68 set. The 67s I'm getting close to having complete from around 8 different bottling plants.

And none of them are anything but coke.

Football is different for some reason.

My best guess in order
Sprite
Fanta root beer
Fresca

I could be wrong about the last two, but I'm pretty sure root beer outsold Fresca in the areas that sold it.

Steve B
Old 09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)
Default Me for YOO HOO Caps

W. Ford
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0920121910a.jpg (65.5 KB, 368 views)
Old 09-27-2012, 02:11 AM

Default tougher caps

I would think "TAB" would be one of the tougher ones. It was one of the first diet sodas and well before when people really cared.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Eric Nelson

Default Coke Caps

I remember these, too, and a really fun story about them was part of Marvin Miller's Book "A Whole Different Ballgame." As he told it, the owners were doing all they could to block the formation of the MLB players union and Miller, in his first year, had almost zero money to fund operations. But they were able to run this tiny promotion with Coke, airbrushing out the cap logos because the owner's wouldn't allow it, and it was just enough sponsorship money to keep the fledgling union alive that first year. We know what happened after that. I have a couple that I keep just for that connection.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Howard Chasser

Default More than you think

There is another amazing thread on here on these including a breakdown of more back variations than you realize! Don't have time to search now.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Just wondering.................

I wonder if anyone broke the bottles, so that their caps would be in unbent mint condition. Mom wouldn't have gone for that idea, but I'd bet you would have a unique collection today, perhaps worth enough to repurchase the soda you lost as a kid.

Footnote: The young fellas may not realize that there were no twist off caps back then.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-16-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

I have a few that were never put on a bottle.

Steve B
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Steve

Default Toolbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I wonder if anyone broke the bottles, so that their caps would be in unbent mint condition. Mom wouldn't have gone for that idea, but I'd bet you would have a unique collection today, perhaps worth enough to repurchase the soda you lost as a kid.

Footnote: The young fellas may not realize that there were no twist off caps back then.
As a kid, probably would not have thought of it, but you could take a flathead screwdriver to the caps and carefully lift the edges so as to remove them without bending the cap very much. But, if I wasn't concerned about the Hank Aaron rookie card in my bike spokes, a bent popbottle cap sure wouldn't have bothered me in 1954.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:23 PM

Do you have any Fantas to sell or trade. I have many dupes/
Old 03-31-2019, 06:23 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Difficulty

So as mentioned anything non coke is tough. There is a comprehensive thread on these somewhere on this site - it had a checklist of different backs - more than most would believe if you haven't seen it. From memory:

King size coke - probably as tough as sprite
Sprite - next easiest after coke
King Size Sprite - VERY tough
Tab (different variations) - 4th easiest after fresca
King Size Tab - super tough
Fresca (different variations) - 3rd after sprite
Fanta grape - super tough
Fanta Root Beer - super tough
Fanta Orange - super tough
There are also some "special" coke ones - Kosher, Kosher for Passover - 1 I think from a particular state with a map outline on the cap, etc.

likely a couple more I've missed

I am looking for some of the tougher Clemente variations if anyone has
Old 04-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Default 1967 & 1968 Coke Promotions

Here is a look at the 1967 Coke promotion and its relation to the 1967 Dexter Press photos:

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/201...1967-coke.html

And here is a look at the 1968 Coke promotion and its relationship to the players union:

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/201...promotion.html