NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-01-2019, 04:20 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Default PWCC listing of 1952 Mantle PSA 4.5 appears to be pressed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-...frcectupt=true

Blowout thread:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

Some extra edge wear (especially on the back) that is not visible now that it's slabbed.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:09 AM
David Peck

I have heard someone say to me they could press out the corners on a card.

How is this done?
Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

So the card was pressed, slabbed by PSA and sold at Heritage, then slabbed again and submitted to PWCC? Why the second time? Crack-out seeking a higher grade maybe? That part I didn't follow. If that's right though, they missed it twice?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-01-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Larry More.y

Why would someone re-submit this card after the HA offering? After resubmitting, the card ended up with the same grade but with a different serial #.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

Maybe it is my eyesight, but the bottom front right corner (from the back) appears different in the HA image (left) than it does in the PWCC image (right).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamantle.jpg (45.4 KB, 984 views)
File Type: jpg pwccmantle.jpg (46.0 KB, 975 views)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

But some of the distinctive marks in the paper otherwise look remarkably similar. As I said, the second cert. is the part of the Blowout post I don't understand. Maybe someone cracked it out and pressed that corner?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-01-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Why would someone re-submit this card after the HA offering? After resubmitting, the card ended up with the same grade but with a different serial #.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

Maybe it is my eyesight, but the bottom front right corner (from the back) appears different in the HA image (left) than it does in the PWCC image (right).
They look like exactly the same card to me. To me the picture on the right shows the same card after a little more work was done.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
They look like exactly the same card to me. To me the picture on the right shows the same card after a little more work was done.
Ben, there is not a dispute that both of these images are of the same card (albeit in different holders), the question was really how much, if any, work was done on this corner(or others).....apparently not enough work to move the card up to a higher grade in the grader's mind.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ben, there is not a dispute that both of these images are of the same card (albeit in different holders), the question was really how much, if any, work was done on this corner(or others).....apparently not enough work to move the card up to a higher grade in the grader's mind.
But I thought the work on the upper right was BEFORE the first slabbing?????

Old 05-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
But I thought the work on the upper right was BEFORE the first slabbing?????
I saw the image on BO of the raw version....yes, before this card's appearance at HA, the corners looked much different in their raw form. At least to me, there appears to be major differences between the raw and HA appearances and then more subtle changes between HA and PWCC appearances.

Could the original pressing job have come undone and was repressed after HA?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I saw the image on BO of the raw version....yes, before this card's appearance at HA, the corners looked much different in their raw form. At least to me, there appears to be major differences between the raw and HA appearances and then more subtle changes between HA and PWCC appearances.

Could the original pressing job have come undone and was repressed after HA?
I am just speculating that one set of work was performed pre-Heritage and another (on a different corner) was performed pre-PWCC. If that's right, PSA missed this twice. Lovely. But the problem with that theory is if there was a second card doctor, he surely would have recognized the initial work and not taken a chance on cracking the card out? Anyhow, it's a shame we even have to think about this stuff. Now back to your regularly scheduled love-in for PSA and PWCC.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-01-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
I am just speculating that one set of work was performed pre-Heritage and another (on a different corner) was performed pre-PWCC. If that's right, PSA missed this twice. Lovely. But the problem with that theory is if there was a second card doctor, he surely would have recognized the initial work and not taken a chance on cracking the card out?
That statement about the work appears to be accurate. The pre-HA work was likely done by someone to get the card from what could have been a 3.5 to 4 grade to a 4.5. Card is sold via HA, my guess to a new owner.

The new post-HA owner feels that with this card's centering and overall appeal, that with a little more work, he could pick up another point or at least half a point to get that "5". The post-HA owner has the work done and resubmits.....but, to the post-HA owner's dismay, even with the new work the card receives the same grade. The card doc may/may not have recognized that there was previous work (due to lack of quality, the case itself), but either way felt the card could still be improved to a 5 or better.

For those who rely on the registry, the serial number for the HA flip is still an active serial number in the system, thus adding another copy to the population. Not to go OT, but how many other copies of this card have multiple s/ns?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Probably quite a few.

It will be interesting to see what happens to this auction, whether PSA or PWCC will do anything or just do the ostrich thing.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

I guess I don’t see the point. It looks like it went from a 4.5 to a 4.5 to a 4.5. If you go through the work to improve the card shouldn’t the card improve?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Larry More.y

The front and back for the front, right corner appear to have been improved a bit from the raw image. Based on the damage to that corner alone, that card w/o the repair was looking at a range of 3 to 4 (at best). I agree, I did not see the point of the second improvement as it made no difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAWMANTLE.jpg (26.4 KB, 948 views)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Matt

One way to account for two certs is due to what is known as a Presidential Review, wherein the card is cracked and regraded with the stipulation it cannot go any lower. Or just as likely it was a crack and resub seeking a higher grade— after the person cracking had closely examined the card to feel certain it could not go any lower. Then there is the notion of someone thinking additional work could take it higher.

Looks like the corners were worked/laid down, pressing being one way to accomplish that. Depending on the degree of corner lift, sometimes it’s as simple as the grade school method of putting a card in a thick book and sitting on it LOL. Worked for me with a Wade Boggs RC in 1986!

Last edited by MattyC; 05-01-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:48 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
One way to account for two certs is due to what is known as a Presidential Review, wherein the card is cracked and regraded with the stipulation it cannot go any lower. Or just as likely it was a crack and resub seeking a higher grade— after the person cracking had closely examined the card to feel certain it could not go any lower. Then there is the notion of someone thinking additional work could take it higher.

Looks like the corners were worked/laid down, pressing being one way to accomplish that. Depending on the degree of corner lift, sometimes it’s as simple as the grade school method of putting a card in a thick book and sitting on it LOL. Worked for me with a Wade Boggs RC in 1986!

Is putting a card under heavy books really considered altering a card?

I had a horrible situation where a BGS 9 1982 Wrestling All Stars Andre The Giant was lifting in the slab in the mylar sleeve and I had to crack it out to rescue it.

One of the corners started kind of bowing upwards with no actual damage and I put that card under a bunch of heavy books for a week or so to try and flatten it back out and it now resides in a PSA 8 holder.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Is putting a card under heavy books really considered altering a card?

I had a horrible situation where a BGS 9 1982 Wrestling All Stars Andre The Giant was lifting in the slab in the mylar sleeve and I had to crack it out to rescue it.

One of the corners started kind of bowing upwards with no actual damage and I put that card under a bunch of heavy books for a week or so to try and flatten it back out and it now resides in a PSA 8 holder.
Not to me. But soaking it and spooning it is.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:52 AM
Matt

Hi DP,

That’s a question to which each collector will have their own answer. I certainly wouldn’t have you drawn and quartered for it Trust all is good.

MC
Old 05-01-2019, 11:09 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Hi DP,

That’s a question to which each collector will have their own answer. I certainly wouldn’t have you drawn and quartered for it Trust all is good.

MC

All right cool.

Hope you are well Matt.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:01 PM
Chuck Tapia

Is the DOCTOR IN????

I have some pliers, a spoon and some water, a bowl and an Exacto Knife!!! I need to learn how to upgrade cards like that!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The card is in really nice condition, now. At this point, wouldn't it be worth consideration to restore the edge and corners to NM - MT condition and resubmit again? PSA keeps passing the card, why not go all in.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Auction going strong at 40K. It isn't looking to me like either PWCC is going to take it down or PSA is going to intervene?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I am just speculating that one set of work was performed pre-Heritage and another (on a different corner) was performed pre-PWCC. If that's right, PSA missed this twice. Lovely. But the problem with that theory is if there was a second card doctor, he surely would have recognized the initial work and not taken a chance on cracking the card out? Anyhow, it's a shame we even have to think about this stuff. Now back to your regularly scheduled love-in for PSA and PWCC.
LOL.

Quote:
Auction going strong at 40K. It isn't looking to me like either PWCC is going to take it down or PSA is going to intervene?
Highly doubtful as, in my opinion, things have gotten worse rather than better with regards to shenanigans like this.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:13 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I wouldn't think someone pressing down a corner would be grounds to pull an auction or a PSA grade and cert number. I would be fine with this "alteration" if I were bidding on the card.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 05-02-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I wouldn't think someone pressing down a corner would be grounds to pull an auction or a PSA grade and cert number. I would be fine with this "alteration" if I were bidding on the card.
It's not fine according to PSA's own standards.

PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity.

Look at the before and after photos. The card has been "tampered" with there is zero question assuming it's the same card.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-02-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:40 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
It's not fine according to PSA's own standards.

PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity.

Look at the before and after photos. The card has been "tampered" with there is zero question assuming it's the same card.
Is pressing down a corner that was a little dinged tampering? I don't know the answer but this doesn't strike me as something that would qualify.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Is pressing down a corner that was a little dinged tampering? I don't know the answer but this doesn't strike me as something that would qualify.
Did you see the before and after photos? And yes, if it's dinged, it qualifies.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

PWCC responded at the end of Page 5 in that thread claiming that this card shows conservation, not alteration. Bold move, Cotton.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
PWCC responded at the end of Page 5 in that thread claiming that this card shows conservation, not alteration. Bold move, Cotton.
That's disgraceful, in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ah here you go, Jesse. I was looking for this before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-5 Altered Stock - This includes, but is not limited to characteristics on the card that appear to show some form of alteration such as paper restoration, crease/wrinkle pressing or enhanced gloss.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:07 AM
Chase

Quote:
Ah here you go, Jesse. I was looking for this before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-5 Altered Stock - This includes, but is not limited to characteristics on the card that appear to show some form of alteration such as paper restoration, crease/wrinkle pressing or enhanced gloss.
Apparently this card did not bear evidence of having been restored or altered and the question is why? Was the work that good and therefore not detectable, has PSA lost their ability to assess cards or does PSA look the other way for some who submit cards?

Seems PWCC has nobody they have to answer to in the hobby or beyond whereby they can blatantly spin what most in the hobby deem is an alteration into it being justifiable conservation. If that is the case then they should at a minimum, amend the description to disclose the "conservation", and notify all active bidders of the amendment and if they knew in advance of listing that the card had had work it should have been disclosed in the original listing.

I am sure the neither PSA nor PWCC are happy that photo of the raw card exists. Quite sure that PSA would not openly support PWCC's stance on conservation but clearly the evidence is that they either cannot detect this type of work or they might deem it acceptable behind closed doors.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:25 AM
je.sse @rnot

Pressing down a corner that's sticking up a little, and pressing out a wrinkle are to very different things in my opinion. I don't own this card and am not bidding on it, but if I were I would have no problem with it unless it turns out it was trimmed after pressing down the corner.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

A question raised on Blowout is, if the card was consigned to Heritage raw (as the guy who had seen the raw card thinks or knows), and it appeared in Heritage in a PSA 4.5 with the corner pressed, where was the work done?

Old 05-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
A question raised on Blowout is, if the card was consigned to Heritage raw (as the guy who had seen the raw card thinks or knows), and it appeared in Heritage in a PSA 4.5 with the corner pressed, where was the work done?
The OP in the BO thread maybe better qualified to answer your question. He mentioned "thinking" the family sent this card off to HA.

Based on what the OP mentions, it seems most likely that if this family did actually consign this card and the other 52 Topps cards directly to HA, the cards would indeed have been raw. If the family was offering this card for sale raw, it is unlikely they had it graded themselves before consigning....they probably would have already had it graded themselves if they were aware of the best way to sell a card of this nature (graded not raw). Since the family did not seem too keen on the interworking's of the high end card market, it seems unlikely they would be responsible for any restoration either much less the grading of the card.

In another post in the BO thread, the cards with serial #s on either side of this original Mantle submission were other 52 Mantles that were sold via HA and a 52 Mays PSA 8. Based on the serial numbers close to this cards, it appears that this Mantle was submitted with other cards sold by HA and not by the family that owned the card.

However, the family could have sold everything raw to someone else who mentioned to the family that their plan was to consign everything to HA.

Unless the OP can provide more details, we will likely never know the early chain of ownership of this card.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The OP in the BO thread maybe better qualified to answer your question. He mentioned "thinking" the family sent this card off to HA.

Based on what the OP mentions, it seems most likely that if this family did actually consign this card and the other 52 Topps cards directly to HA, the cards would indeed have been raw. If the family was offering this card for sale raw, it is unlikely they had it graded themselves before consigning....they probably would have already had it graded themselves if they were aware of the best way to sell a card of this nature (graded not raw). Since the family did not seem too keen on the interworking's of the high end card market, it seems unlikely they would be responsible for any restoration either much less the grading of the card.

In another post in the BO thread, the cards with serial #s on either side of this original Mantle submission were other 52 Mantles that were sold via HA and a 52 Mays PSA 8. Based on the serial numbers close to this cards, it appears that this Mantle was submitted with other cards sold by HA and not by the family that owned the card.

However, the family could have sold everything raw to someone else who mentioned to the family that their plan was to consign everything to HA.

Unless the OP can provide more details, we will likely never know the early chain of ownership of this card.
Yeah, not proof beyond a doubt, but more than enough to raise an eyebrow.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Mike Ryan

Default Question?

Wouldn't the old screw-down holders account for some of the pressed down looking corners?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:31 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, and those routinely get the Altered Stock designation from PSA that would leave them as returned ungraded or Authentic Altered slabbed.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Larry More.y

The second cert #42775199 for this Mantle has several cards close to it that have cert #s that are not in the database....assuming that the cards close to this 52 Mantle were submitted together, quite a submission for someone. One can only wonder why so many cert #s are missing from the database surrounding the cert #s of multiple other high-end cards, including one that now has some documented "restorations".

Year 1951
Brand BOWMAN
Card Number 7
Player GIL HODGES
Grade MINT 9
3/13/2019 $2,740.00 eBay 352608451966

Year 1951
Brand BOWMAN
Card Number 305
Player WILLIE MAYS
Grade VG-EX 4
3/13/2019 $3,000.00 eBay 352608453494

Certification Number 42775195
Year 1951
Brand BOWMAN
Card Number 253
Player MICKEY MANTLE
Grade EX 5
4/9/2019 $20,177.77 eBay 352630838839

Certification Number 42775193
Year 1949
Brand BOWMAN
Card Number 224
Player SATCHELL PAIGE
Grade EX-MT 6
4/9/2019 $2,425.00 eBay 352630834050

Certification Number 42775192
Year 1948
Brand LEAF
Card Number 34
Player SAMMY BAUGH
Grade NM 7
3/24/2019 $4,605.55 eBay 401729596471

Cert #s ending in 194, 197, 198, 200, 202, 204-209 do not show up in the database.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:50 AM
Larry More.y

Not sure if this is the same Mays card from the list above or not, but they look close. If they are indeed the same, the stains on the back are gone on the newly encased card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51mays old f.jpg (78.6 KB, 594 views)
File Type: jpg 51mays old b.jpg (78.6 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg 51mays new f.jpg (78.0 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg 51 mays new b.jpg (79.7 KB, 592 views)
Old 05-05-2019, 07:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Was the first Mays sold through Heritage?

Old 05-05-2019, 07:28 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Rough cut top and print lines line up. Look like the same card to me.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Rough cut top and print lines line up. Look like the same card to me.
Agreed. And identical centering front and back.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:25 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, since the Mays has been sold already, I reported it to PSA using their Auction Prices Realized tool.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Was the first Mays sold through Heritage?
The #20734287 sold twice previously:

6/11/2018 $2,370.67 eBay (pwcc_auctions) 352369901319
10/31/2017 $2,413.99 eBay (pwcc_auctions) 142546254318

I had a tough time telling, but the factory print lines look slightly different from the old holder to the new holder.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA just stepped in it again. They just emailed out a promotional email for PWCC's May sale with this 1952 Mantle front and center, lauded for it's amazing eye appeal. Sent it back to PSA President Steve Sloan to make sure he was aware of the egg on the company's face due to this card.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:40 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Here are the other cards from this submission:
42775162 T206 Polar Bear Tris Speaker PSA 5 PWCC 401719781687 3/12/2019
42775163 T206 Sweet Caproal 150/30 Cy Young Cle. Bare Hands Show PSA 4 PWCC-PQ 401719782292 3/12/2019
42775164 T206 Piedmont 150 Cy Young Cleveland Portrait PSA 2
42775165 T206 Soverign 150 Ty Cobb Bat On Shoulder PSA 5
42775166 Missing
42775167 T206 Soverign 350 Christy Mathewson Portrait PSA 5 PWCC-PQ 401739871290 4/9/2019
42775168 Missing
42775169 T206 Piedmont 350 Christy Mathewson White Cap PSA 4.5
42775170 T206 Sweet Caporal 350/30 Cy Young Cleve Glove Shows PSA 4.5 PWCC-PQ 352607768563 3/12/2019
42775171 Missing
42775172 1921 E121 American Caramel "Babe" Ruth PSA 4 Series 80
42775173 Missing
42775174 1926 W512 #6 Babe Ruth PSA 4 PWCC 352607783744 3/12/2019
42775175 1932 US Caramel #14 Ty Cobb PSA 4
42775176 Missing
42775177 Missing
42775178 Missing
42775179 1935 National Chicle #27 Bull Tosi PSA 8 PWCC 352617679642 3/24/2019
42775180 Missing
42775181 1938 Goudey #258 Bobby Doerr PSA 5 PWCC 401719801102 3/12/2019
42775182 Missing
42775183 1948 Bowman #36 Stan Musial PSA 8 PWCC-HE 352607793781 3/12/2019
42775184 Missing
42775185 1948 Leaf #3 Babe Ruth PSA 5 PWCC-PQ 143194058211 4/9/2019
42775186 1948 Leaf #79 Jackie Robinson PSA 4 PWCC-PQ 352607795622 3/12/2019
42775187 1948 Leaf #4 Stan Musial PSA 6 PWCC 401734486168 3/31/2019
42775188 1948 Leaf #138 Larry Doby PSA 4 PWCC-HE 401739891749 4/9/2019
42775189 1948 Leaf #4 Stan Musial PSA 7 PWCC-HE 401739891345 4/9/2019
42775190 1948 Leaf #32 Warren Spahn PSA 4 PWCC-HE 143194058409 4/9/2019
42775191 1948 Leaf #1 Jack Dempsey PSA 5
42775192 1948 Leaf #34 Sammy Baugh Maroon Jersey PSA 7 PWCC-HE 401729596471 3/24/2019
42775193 1949 Bowman #224 Satchel Paige PSA 6 PWCC 352630834050 4/9/2019
42775194 Missing
42775195 1951 Bowman #253 Mickey Mantle PSA 5 PWCC-HE 352630838839 4/9/2019
42775196 1951 Bowman #305 Willie Mays PSA 4 PWCC 352608453494 3/13/2019
42775197 Missing
42775198 Missing
42775199 1951 Bowman #7 Gil Hodges PSA 9 PWCC-HE 352608451966 3/13/2019
42775200 Missing
42775201 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle PSA 4.5 PWCC-E 352652483287 CURRENTLY LISTED
42775202 Missing
42775203 1953 Bowman #32 Stan Musial PSA 6
04-09 were not graded : returned ungraded for alterations or min grade?
10 1955 Roberto Clemente RC PSA 4
11 1955 Sandy Koufax RC PSA 7
12 1955 Parkhurst Jacques Plante PSA 7
13 *no cert*
14 1956 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 8.5
15 *no cert*
16 1956 Topps Ted Williams PSA 7
17 1957 Topps Johnny Unitas RC PSA 7.5
18 1957 Topps Sandy Koufax PSA 7.5
19 *no cert*
20 1958 Topps Bobby Hull PSA 5
21 1958 Topps Ted Williams PSA 7
22 1958 Topps Orlando Cepeda RC PSA 9
23 *no cert*
24 1961 Fleer Wilt Chamberlain PSA 7
25 *no cert*
26 1963 Fleer Checklist PSA 8.5
27 *no cert*
28 *no cert*
29 *no cert*
30 1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC PSA 9
31 1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC PSA 8.5
32 1966 Philadelphia Jim Brown PSA 9
33 1967 Topps Tom Seaver RC PSA 8
34 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan RC PSA 8
35 1969 Topps Reggie Jackson RC PSA 8.5
36 1969 Topps Mickey Mantle White Letter PSA 7
37 1975 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 8
38 1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky PSA 8
39 1979 OPC Wayne Gretzky PSA 8
40 1985 OPC Mario Lemieux PSA 9
41 1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth PSA 5
Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
PSA just stepped in it again. They just emailed out a promotional email for PWCC's May sale with this 1952 Mantle front and center, lauded for it's amazing eye appeal. Sent it back to PSA President Steve Sloan to make sure he was aware of the egg on the company's face due to this card.
You can't make this stuff up, can you? But PSA must know about the issue already, no?

Old 05-05-2019, 10:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Here are the other cards from this submission:
42775162 T206 Polar Bear Tris Speaker PSA 5 PWCC 401719781687 3/12/2019
42775163 T206 Sweet Caproal 150/30 Cy Young Cle. Bare Hands Show PSA 4 PWCC-PQ 401719782292 3/12/2019
42775164 T206 Piedmont 150 Cy Young Cleveland Portrait PSA 2
42775165 T206 Soverign 150 Ty Cobb Bat On Shoulder PSA 5
42775166 Missing
42775167 T206 Soverign 350 Christy Mathewson Portrait PSA 5 PWCC-PQ 401739871290 4/9/2019
42775168 Missing
42775169 T206 Piedmont 350 Christy Mathewson White Cap PSA 4.5
42775170 T206 Sweet Caporal 350/30 Cy Young Cleve Glove Shows PSA 4.5 PWCC-PQ 352607768563 3/12/2019
42775171 Missing
42775172 1921 E121 American Caramel "Babe" Ruth PSA 4 Series 80
42775173 Missing
42775174 1926 W512 #6 Babe Ruth PSA 4 PWCC 352607783744 3/12/2019
42775175 1932 US Caramel #14 Ty Cobb PSA 4
42775176 Missing
42775177 Missing
42775178 Missing
42775179 1935 National Chicle #27 Bull Tosi PSA 8 PWCC 352617679642 3/24/2019
42775180 Missing
42775181 1938 Goudey #258 Bobby Doerr PSA 5 PWCC 401719801102 3/12/2019
42775182 Missing
42775183 1948 Bowman #36 Stan Musial PSA 8 PWCC-HE 352607793781 3/12/2019
42775184 Missing
42775185 1948 Leaf #3 Babe Ruth PSA 5 PWCC-PQ 143194058211 4/9/2019
42775186 1948 Leaf #79 Jackie Robinson PSA 4 PWCC-PQ 352607795622 3/12/2019
42775187 1948 Leaf #4 Stan Musial PSA 6 PWCC 401734486168 3/31/2019
42775188 1948 Leaf #138 Larry Doby PSA 4 PWCC-HE 401739891749 4/9/2019
42775189 1948 Leaf #4 Stan Musial PSA 7 PWCC-HE 401739891345 4/9/2019
42775190 1948 Leaf #32 Warren Spahn PSA 4 PWCC-HE 143194058409 4/9/2019
42775191 1948 Leaf #1 Jack Dempsey PSA 5
42775192 1948 Leaf #34 Sammy Baugh Maroon Jersey PSA 7 PWCC-HE 401729596471 3/24/2019
42775193 1949 Bowman #224 Satchel Paige PSA 6 PWCC 352630834050 4/9/2019
42775194 Missing
42775195 1951 Bowman #253 Mickey Mantle PSA 5 PWCC-HE 352630838839 4/9/2019
42775196 1951 Bowman #305 Willie Mays PSA 4 PWCC 352608453494 3/13/2019
42775197 Missing
42775198 Missing
42775199 1951 Bowman #7 Gil Hodges PSA 9 PWCC-HE 352608451966 3/13/2019
42775200 Missing
42775201 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle PSA 4.5 PWCC-E 352652483287 CURRENTLY LISTED
42775202 Missing
42775203 1953 Bowman #32 Stan Musial PSA 6
04-09 were not graded : returned ungraded for alterations or min grade?
10 1955 Roberto Clemente RC PSA 4
11 1955 Sandy Koufax RC PSA 7
12 1955 Parkhurst Jacques Plante PSA 7
13 *no cert*
14 1956 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 8.5
15 *no cert*
16 1956 Topps Ted Williams PSA 7
17 1957 Topps Johnny Unitas RC PSA 7.5
18 1957 Topps Sandy Koufax PSA 7.5
19 *no cert*
20 1958 Topps Bobby Hull PSA 5
21 1958 Topps Ted Williams PSA 7
22 1958 Topps Orlando Cepeda RC PSA 9
23 *no cert*
24 1961 Fleer Wilt Chamberlain PSA 7
25 *no cert*
26 1963 Fleer Checklist PSA 8.5
27 *no cert*
28 *no cert*
29 *no cert*
30 1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC PSA 9
31 1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC PSA 8.5
32 1966 Philadelphia Jim Brown PSA 9
33 1967 Topps Tom Seaver RC PSA 8
34 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan RC PSA 8
35 1969 Topps Reggie Jackson RC PSA 8.5
36 1969 Topps Mickey Mantle White Letter PSA 7
37 1975 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 8
38 1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky PSA 8
39 1979 OPC Wayne Gretzky PSA 8
40 1985 OPC Mario Lemieux PSA 9
41 1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth PSA 5
Yes, the high percentage of stickered cards from the same consignor/consignment was noted and questioned on Blowout. People there are speculating that these are actually PWCC's cards but I am not seeing evidence of that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Looks like the Musial in this was previously a BGS 6 and part of the right edge may have been shaved. Check the blowout thread.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Looks like the Musial in this was previously a BGS 6 and part of the right edge may have been shaved. Check the blowout thread.
It's an epidemic. And has been for some time. Fortunately, we have some guys with the energy to track these things down and the tech skills to depict it convincingly. We'll see where it goes. I don't know that it's going to go as far as the truth, which I believe to be just extremely ugly in terms of who is doing these things and also who is enabling them, but we'll see.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2019 at 06:19 PM.