NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Removing laminate from baseball cards

A good friend of mine found a bunch of old Morrell Meats cards he got decades ago that were buried in his garage. He knew I collected Dodgers and invited me over to show me - long story short they came home with me.

Unfortunately, the nicest four cards in the lot all had laminate on them. Go figure, right? He mentioned that he got them that way so they've been laminated for a while. I researched how I might remove the laminate and there was no clear answer. Some people were saying it was easy, others were saying leave it alone don't mess with them, they're stuck. Personally, I think the cards are cool even with the laminate but if I had a choice I would prefer them without. I know there's different types of laminate, this particular kind is not the kind that wraps around the card and adheres around the edges. These sonofaguns have the one-sided laminate that appears to have adhesive on the front of the card. I took the least expensive of the four (Furillo) and carefully pulled back one of the corners using needle nose pliers and it started out good but slowly started to remove some of the image as I moved closer to the center. Needless to say, I stopped. I would rather have laminated cards than destroyed cards. Someone on another board said I should try putting a pillow case over the card and use an iron to heat up and soften the adhesive. Before I do that I thought I would seek your guys' thoughts, thanks.

Last edited by 4reals; 07-14-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Mark

They're already damaged. Even if you could remove the laminate they're still damaged (as indicated by the part you pulled back).

I say leave them as they are and enjoy them. You won't be able to improve the value of them by removing the laminate so why bother?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:00 AM
$teve O.

If you ever want to move the Furillo let me know.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:42 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
They're already damaged. Even if you could remove the laminate they're still damaged (as indicated by the part you pulled back).

I say leave them as they are and enjoy them. You won't be able to improve the value of them by removing the laminate so why bother?
+1 That would be my sentiment too. I enjoy looking at your scans. You can make a cucumber into a pickle but you can't change a pickle back into a cucumber, although many have tried.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
You won't be able to improve the value of them by removing the laminate so why bother?
This viewpoint is interesting. I'm wondering your reasoning in coming to this belief. If there is a way to remove the laminate without damaging the image of the card wouldn't this increase the value of the card? I would think that it would.

What are everyone's thoughts on the value of these cards if the laminate were left on? I know a card is only worth what somebody will pay for it, so please avoid that answer if you're able, I'm more interested in your personal opinions.

For example, a PSA7 of the Koufax sold a month ago on ebay for $300. In your opinion, what percent of that do you think this Koufax could fetch?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Al Richter

Default Lamination

Joe--I assumed they were just saying that if peeling off the lamination diminishes the appearance of the card further ( which your scan may seem to indicate) what would be the purpose ? If the lamination can be removed and the card appearance is not lessened then that would make total sense. But, in any event, they are your cards, have at them

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-15-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Alright, let me start over - somehow this got sideways. I thought by typing this in my original post it showed that having damaged images by removing the laminate was pointless:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
Needless to say, I stopped. I would rather have laminated cards than destroyed cards.
So...I agree with those that reiterated the point.

My motive for starting this thread, however, was to glean wisdom on how I might be able to remove the laminate WITHOUT damaging the cards. Does anybody know someone who does this professionally? Is the pillowcase/iron idea a good one? Is the value not diminished much by leaving the laminate on? These are the responses I seek (sincere tone - not being a smart ass).

Last edited by 4reals; 07-15-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default youtube video

found this guy on youtube, just discovered he's a board member here...I'm hitting him up.

http://youtu.be/1ZgxVRSUC4A

Last edited by 4reals; 07-15-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Do NOT iron the cards. Heat will drive the adhesive into the paper. Your only potential solution is chemical. Naphtha [lighter fluid] can remove some adhesives. There is also a product called "un-du" that supposedly works but I've not tried it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-15-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Thank you Adam...the ironing board is going back in the closet.

Last edited by 4reals; 07-15-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Mark

My guess would be there is no foolproof way to remove laminate from baseball cards. Laminating cards is not something that has commonly occurred so I'm betting there not a lot of "pre-trial testing" that has occured to even give you an idea of what the results might be.

Any solution comes with a risk of further damaging the cards. Even a real good solution will likely bring some problems with it. There is always a chance that it will work, however.

The question really goes to you. Are you willing to completely ruin the cards for a chance of removing the laminate?

if you are then go for it, if not, then let it be.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
Thank you Adam...the ironing board is going back in the closet.
Microwave ? Boiling water ? Phoenix sidewalk ? We all want to be helpful Joe
Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
The question really goes to you. Are you willing to completely ruin the cards for a chance of removing the laminate?
Yes, that is indeed the question I've been weighing. Currently I'm leaning towards not taking that risk but I'm thinking that there's gotta be someone on net54 that has tried it at some point and has some feedback to share.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Microwave ? Boiling water ? Phoenix sidewalk ? We all want to be helpful Joe
Funny Al, you seem refreshed, did you just get back from a month long vacation or something? I could use one myself.