NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Default E92 Croft: how rare are the blue backs?

Posted By: cmoking

In the E92 Croft, what is the ratio of blue backs to black backs? Do the grading companies differentiate them on their population reports? I don't see any difference when I looked in their pop reports, but at least on this one card, it is listed as a blue back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-E92-CROFTS-CANDY-BARY-SGC-60-RARE-BLUE-BACK_W0QQitemZ5241926150QQcategoryZ57993QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

question- "In the E92 Croft, what is the ratio of blue backs to black backs? Do the grading companies differentiate them on their population reports? I don't see any difference when I looked in their pop reports, but at least on this one card, it is listed as a blue back"

Others on the board may know more than I about these but my experience is that the blue backs are very scarce in relation to the black backs. My personal guess/observation is about 7-1 , majority of black of course, but I would like to hear other, more seasoned, caramel collectors opinions. I don't think the grading companies differentiate them on the pop reports but will label the back type on the holder. The red backed ones are the toughest and I have seen 3 different ones total. As a "back" collector I think the blue ones and red ones are neat... regards

after thinking about it I revised my estimate of blue backs down a little..

Old 09-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

of the 5 that I had this year , 1 was blue and the utter 4 were black.

see Scott "the hoarder" Elkins for further information on these ,he has bunches for all that want to know.

I still have a black back Wagner fielding/throwing....thanks ever and ever Mr.Wesley Liu !....before you were just Wesley ,but now you are a papa ,I'll call you Mr.Wesley.

Good evening
Dan

Old 09-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

In order to have trading material for Croft's Cocoas. I remember, last year, ordering a Croft's Candy Cy Young from my good buddy Larry Fritsch. He descibed it as GD/VG. However, when it arrived, it had a HUGE crease down the middle of the card and other creases and wear (definitely an SGC 10). The ONLY good point was that it was a Blue Back! Stupid me - I was so pissed at the condition that I sold it for a mere $100 profit (still kicking myself). I also recently sold the Blue Back Wagner I got from Brian Daniels.

I do have a hand full of Croft's Candy Blue Backs left (including the Evers I just got from Dan "The Carpetbagger" Koteles). They are all for trade - for Croft's Cocoas of course. As for their rarity, I would compare them to a T206 Red Hindu or Uzit (before the recent find of over 30 Uzits by Mr. Lifson).

Old 09-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: OWNER /Carpetbagger col'n of 98

I have at least 15 blue models.
I would also say the ratio is about 6:1.
blank back to black= 15:1

McKee and I had the op to buy some (raw) last year and won 1 sold as part of a group on e-bay after te seller had them graded.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Spencer

While the blue backs are clearly tougher than the blacks, the reds are nigh near impossible. I only know of 1 example owned by our old friend Pete Calderon who, I believe, got it in a Lew Lipset auction. Speaking of Lew, I once asked him if he had ever seen a Cobb with the red C&A back and he said sure, even had one once. Boy, those were the days.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

FYI, Pete C. owns one, I own one, and David Bryan auctioned one on ebay about a year ago. It had a very minor back blemish and went for around $2100.00. I believe he got it in a major auction where the back was not even described at all. It was just another Croft's candy card...I am sure there are more in the hobby albeit not necessarily known about...in other words some old timer has a bunch a them darn candy cards....and hasn't got around to doin' anything with 'em ....

Old 09-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Administrator

now that would be nice! BTW Leon, your Miller Red C&A is badly O/C top to bottom - you should probably sell that one to me, since I buy the holder and not the card! I remember David Vintage's Red C&A - an SGC 10 Barry - I was thinking it sold for over $3k (If I remember correctly, I bid around $2500 and wasn't even in the running).

Old 09-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Administrator

I just want to be the owner of the blue tights you wear in your workouts when you cross-dress at the GYM,um... BcD !....I heard your "red ones " are quite worn.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Administrator

he purchased from you prior to 2000! You can tell why he is the Guru - tedious research - seems that all he does is eat and research vintage cards!

Old 09-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Administrator

my first view to a pillow top mattress !

Isnt that really Dr.Gene Scott ?

Old 09-14-2005, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

That must be pre-gym.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC Mckenzie

That dude pictured bears no resemblance to Hal Chase...

Old 09-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Really, BcD sent me that pic, telling me that it was ME surfin' for Croft's Cocoa cards. I laughed so hard, I nearly hyperventilated! After laughing for around 15 minutes, I finally decided to post the pic on here to brighten everyone's day with a good laugh!