NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default OT: What's for Dinner?

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

I just had an e-conversation with a fellow board member and thought it might be interesting.

Here's the menu that will be served at the Duet residence on Thanksgiving Day;

Seafood Gumbo
Roasted Wild Turkey
Roasted Wild Duck
Deep Fried Pork Tenderloin
Oyster Rice Dressing
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Galore
Sweet Potato Pie
Kendall Jackson Merlot and Cab
Topped off with a glass of Hennesey XO

Anyone in my area during thanksgiving feel free to stop by(not sure why anyone would be in Cut Off, LA!)

Old 11-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

The sweet potato pie alone would satisfy me!!

Old 11-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

The things you do for love. But I refuse to give up dairy!

--Chad

Old 11-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

My wife usually gets stuck with hosting the festivities, but her schedule this year just does not permit it. Since we have not yet been invited to any of my siblings houses, we may be doing Chinese takeout.

Wait - it's not as bad as you think. Our local establishment does Peking turkey for the holiday!

Old 11-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

When I was living the hippie life in CA, my best friend and I would BBQ 2 turkeys every year and invite all the other brothers and sisters over that didn't have family in the area. We also grilled tofu for the vegitarians, but invariable, there was always one that couldn't resist the smell of out grilled birds and would end up eatting some. The most notable one was Roxy, who hadn't eatten meat since the mid 60s and threw up almost promptly upon taking a bit. Her comment, "It tasted great", lol.

Looks like Lee and I will be doing the buffet at the bowling alley. It has turkey, prime rib and lots of other goodies for a very reasonable price. Plus, you don't have to cook or do dishes

Jay

If you can sue a band for making you want to commit suicide, can I sue Barry Manilow for turning me into a wuss in the 70s?

Old 11-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

In-laws' house. Usually we get turkey, sweet potatoes, root veggies, celery root puree, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes and heartburn for three days. I know we are bringing a deep-fried turkey this year from a local BBQ restaurant.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I will be having plenty of apple pie.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred (Fred)

bah humbug, I just want to be left alone... oops, wrong holiday...

Old 11-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 11-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Kevin that sucks,ill be sure to bring you some leftovers when we meet at fort washington.Thanksgiving is usually the show off my cards once a year day and in a house full of Yankees fans theyre always disappointed i dont have any Ruth,Gehrig or DiMaggio cards.Well tough,they arent in any sets i collect!

I'll be eating turkey,mashed potatoes,assorted veggies,biscuits,stuffing and a bunch of things i dont like will be saved for everyone else.Plenty of pie too,Thanksgiving is my day to shine at the dinner table! -belch!

Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Chad

I'm a quasi-vegetarian, in that I only eat what I kill, or am capable of killing (ie I eat fish). To top it off, my spouse is allergic to wheat and milk products, so it's always interesting ordering dinner at a restaurant

(No comments from former moderators are allowed in response).

Canadian thanksgiving was a month ago, so everyone's turkey has hopefully worn off.

Max

Old 11-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

HUngarian chicken paprikas -hot and mild turkey tamales-
turkey w/stuffing- cranberries, elderberry pie ,blueberry
pie, pumpkin and sweet potatoe pies. Mash taters- corn and greens.

Pray for those who cannot eat a meal or be with their families.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Our son's birthday is always near Thanksgiving - Friday this year. So, in addition to all the traditional turkey and fixins, we add a huge chocolate cake. That's in additon to the pumpkin pie, of course. Desert is interesting: pie, cake, ice cream (usually for the cake) whipped cream - or all of the above.

He just got his first real job about 2 weeks ago, will make it home for the weekend.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Oops, not allowed to respond to Max's post. I'll let everybody fill in the blanks.......................

Old 11-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Darren et al,

a couple of months back my wife convinced me to go out of town to the Shakespeare Festival over Thanksgiving so i'm guessing i'll be having
figs and fennel, hare and hazelnuts, quail and quince,etc.

I echo Dan Kotele's thanksgiving sentiments that we think of those who
will not be able to be with family and share thanksgiving meals.

Happy Thanksgiving, VBC buds

Barry

Old 11-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Heitman

Jay--Which bowling alley?

Old 11-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Another vegetarian here, but if there's one thing I'll not abide it's a tofurkey, so the wife and I will be having a lot of side dishes -- mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, cranberry sauce, rolls, stuffing, banana nut bread and pies. More importantly, this will be the first time I've been back to New Orleans or seen my family since Katrina, so it'll be a pretty emotional reunion I'm sure. Can't wait to see them.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Bill, it is Garden Center in Alexandria, MN. They actually have pretty good food, so it won't be so bad. Then afterwards, if you want, you can walk across the street to the theatre to catch a movie.

Jay

If you can sue a band for making you want to commit suicide, can I sue Barry Manilow for turning me into a wuss in the 70s?

Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

I don't much carre for the fake meat, tho my girlfriend is always "fascinated" by it. Lots of cheesy mashed potatoes, stuffing, veggies, stuff like that. Hell, I mostly fill up on the chips and dip while watching football anyway.

--Chad

Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

this will be the first year we travel from Omaha, as opposed to just across Lincoln.

Some years she cooks, other years ....

Several years ago, she was amazed that there was no line at KFC when she sent her current husband there to pick up dinner.

No, there probably wasn't much of a rush for fast-food chicken on Thanksgiving. And most people probably wouldn't invite relatives over to eat fast food in an unfinished basement by candle light for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

After realizing I went a bit over-board on some recent card purchaces, I think I'm gonna head down to the Salvation Army shelter, and see what's being served

And going OT on an OT: Jay, as a Bowler, how many 300's (or best game, series)? Best scratch league average? Personally (back in my NJ days), best game 276 (bucket in the 5th), and 198 avg. (always panicked when I got above 200).

Old 11-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Having grown up in the Gopher state, my parents still have the same trimmings as they did when I was a kid.
Turkey, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, cranberries, sweet potatoes, asparagus, assorted casseroles, salad, fruit cocktail in whipped cream, pickled herring in wine sauce, pumpkin pie with real whipped cream, stuffing, all kinds of pickles, some kind of jello thing with different colored layers, lots of milk, the world's greatest dinner rolls and for the #1 son, a special helping of gizzards and livers from ye olde turkey. Mmmmmmmm.....

Old 11-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

For Thanksgiving....I have reservations at Saverios in Tijuana with my girlfriend. I don't think you'll read that twice on the board.