NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Everything Else, Football, Non-Sports etc.. B/S/T

Old 04-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Mario Borgerding

Default 1888 N2 Allen & Ginter "American Indian Chiefs" Agate Arrow Point, Error Value?

I recently submitted an 1888 N2 Allen & Ginter "American Indian Chiefs" Agate Arrow Point, Error, to SGC for grading. I was quite happy to see that I received a third-party grading of SGC 40 (equivalent to a PSA 3).

According to the population report of SGC and PSA, there are 15 total Agate Arrow Point Errors that have been graded. A total of 7 Errors cards are graded SGC 40/PSA 3 or higher.

Can anyone help advise what this card may be worth? Once the graded card comes back I will post it for viewing. Best regards, Mario

Successful Transactions with: kdixon; digdugdig; Brian Van Horn; old-baseball; Jim F; dougscats; Drew6; VoodooChild; yanksfan09; T206Collector; tinkertoeverstochance; sreader3; familytoad; ValKehl. Hoping for many more!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default infrequently traded

figure 100. - 175. if it's still on a couple people's want lists. I might pay 75. -100. as it would be a slight upgrade for me but value and interest in a higher grade example. You might post your question on the NS side for a more unbiased opinion. In general the market determines the actual value at the time it's sold after factoring in the buyer's and seller's motivations :-)

no guarantees whether written or implied
Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Mario Borgerding

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
figure 100. - 175. if it's still on a couple people's want lists. I might pay 75. -100. as it would be a slight upgrade for me but value and interest in a higher grade example. You might post your question on the NS side for a more unbiased opinion. In general the market determines the actual value at the time it's sold after factoring in the buyer's and seller's motivations :-)

Thank you for your inputs. During a quick search on Heritage Auctions (HA.com), I noticed that a lesser-graded version of the Error Card (SGC 10-Poor) sold in the mid-$400s a few years ago. As previously noted, since this is an infrequently traded card (and the population numbers are low), I'm sure that the actual value with vary due to your reasons noted above (buyer & seller motivations).

Well, all things considered, I may send this over to HA in the near future. I have approx. 10 of these 1888 N2 cards (inc. Geronimo, Chief Joseph, Red Cloud, Great War Chief in VG conidition) and somehow noticed the Agate Arrow Point Error a few weeks ago and decided to submit for grading.

Now it looks like I will be debating when (not if) I should sell them!!

Successful Transactions with: kdixon; digdugdig; Brian Van Horn; old-baseball; Jim F; dougscats; Drew6; VoodooChild; yanksfan09; T206Collector; tinkertoeverstochance; sreader3; familytoad; ValKehl. Hoping for many more!
Old 04-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Steve Murray

I think I paid $300 or so for my SGC 10.

May have overpaid but it was the last card I needed to complete the set with all four errors.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

My Consignment to Lelands auction:

N2 Agate Arrow Point Error SGC 50 - $275 Hammer
N2 British American Error SGC 40 - $250 Hammer
Old 04-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Mario Borgerding

Here are a few pics that I took. I just received the card today, so I figured I would see what everyone's thoughts were.

Thanks again for all your inputs!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-24 21.28.40.jpg (78.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-04-24 21.29.03.jpg (78.8 KB, 66 views)

Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

I have some of these at auction currently under pastime08.....they end Sunday.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I would sell

my 10, 30, and 40 for mid 450.'s in a heartbeat. If one is looking for a particular card their motivation is greater - and major auctions can be hit or miss - I always overpay for the last few cards I need :-) It's a crap-shoot for sure. One collector I know is chasing 3/4 sets including all the errors (he has most of them). That puts some pressure on the marketplace but requires competitors at least in an auction situation.
The error cards are mostly just dalliances except for the entrenched collector. It's a small market and a weak selling economy for most collectibles including many cards. There are many "errors" in the murky depths of 19th century non-sports although being a blue-chip set - the N2 errors get more attention than most. The truely mad collector should want the album with the errors too :-). Depending on the venue and a spin of the roulette wheel - 250.00 not out of the realm but still seems a bit high.
MOST OF THE DEMAND and consequentially the highest sale prices - are for high grade examples. It's not a terrible vg although clearly not top tier for the grade - I wish you good luck with it whatever you decide to do! Tough cards for sure.......

Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default pastime

I'm too busy following your N43 Ewing :-)
Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti83 View Post
Here are a few pics that I took. I just received the card today, so I figured I would see what everyone's thoughts were.

Thanks again for all your inputs!!

SGC grading consistency - both cards graded VG 3!
My Lelands consignment.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Mario Borgerding

I think your card should be MUCH higher!! Granted the L/R centering is off a bit, but your color and corners are crisp. Looks like a clear winner for a re-grading.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Old 04-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Jerry

hope all is well with you and wife. Don't get me started showing off some of PSA's horribly graded disasters - that's a seperate thread :-)
The OP's card is mis-graded as it is an obvious good at best. Your example has a beautiful appearance for the grade. That said - the classification of VG has some fairly broad parameters. Different technical issues cause a card to be graded as such - issues that may or may not contribute to the demand and price. Additionally each TPG determines what their grading standards are - and one may allign with one over the other for a miriad of reasons.
I think the issue here was a valuation not that SGC clearly overgraded a card. For this particular card I think my guesstimate of 75. as the low end of my range is about right as well as understanding the 250. or so you got for your example is with allowances for the intangibles.....

edited to note that while in my earlier post I said it wasn't a terrible VG - I was trying to be just a bit kind to the OP without knocking down the card itself too much while still offering an objective valuation. Since Jerry opened the door - I just wanted to clarify that I don't grade the card as VG - and I am not a TPG. While my grader of choice is SGC I have ungraded cards as well. All grading is subjective and all TPG's make mistakes.

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 04-26-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-27-2014, 08:43 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default Henry

We just return to FL from NY.
Buy anything at REA? I only sold.
Are you going to Dublin?
Horror grading - let's combine and publish!

My Agate consignment:

Old 04-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default still thinking

about the AAAA show. Perhaps this year but more likely next. Definately no national. Ever (although that's a LONG time). :-) Overall I'd have to classify myself as a collector of tobacco related advertising so I'm SUPPOSED to go to the adv. show. While the category includes all the cards, banners, packs, and albums I collect - it can really be a hit or miss thing and it's far away from from home and the reef tank. I did find a few interesting things shopping the show including a broadleaf pack, couple rare tins, and some super trade cards. Of course I didn't go last year when you had the Ginter tin tray which continues to elude me. I also like to press the flesh with like-minded individuals as everyone I know here in the vast Florida wastelands could care less about collectibles. Thankfully these things are found in different venues as well - primarily those I can visit with my a** in my seat so if I don't find or learn anything - I can get up and go to the fridge..........
Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default Henry

Both collector shows are in Ohio and just about perfect time wise. The Embassy Suite is a great improvement as the host hotel for the AAAA.