NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 AM

Default Auction Software user question REA

Hey guys, I have an issue with the way the software REA uses functions and I would like all of your opinions since most of you are internet savy and navigate web pages often.

I have about 6 pages full of "watching" items in REA. When I am on say, page 4, I open an item, then hit the back button, the softaware takes me back to page 1.

No matter what watching page I view an item from, when I hit the back button, it takes me to page 1. I then have to reclick on to the page I was on to get back to where I drilled down from.

As a software developer, I feel the back button should always take you back to the exact spot you drilled down from. The owner of the software disagrees with me so I would like your opinions as end users.

Many Thanks for your time and input.

Dan
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default The dreaded back button

I am a developer too. The worst feature of a browser is the back button. We typically try to provide navigation for the user as an alternative to the back button (breadcrumbs, navigation bar, etc.).

I would agree that the back button should take you to the last page you were on, but depending on the architecture, they may be retaining state in a way that negates that. My guess is that they will simply say that it works as designed...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

6 pages?!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not sure

I am not sure of the "right" answer but I have seen s/w work both ways. Generally hitting the back button will take you right back to the last place you looked at but in many s/w packages it's not that way. For the REA s/w I do hit the back button and it takes me to the very last page I looked at. I do it from the bidding screen though. In other words, if I place a bid, then hit the back button it will take me back to the previous screen(s) after it has captured the bid.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM

exactly Leon, and it should do it from the watching pages as well. Both should function the same way for consistancy. I have been developing 26 years and forcing the user into extra keystrokes or in this case, mouse clicks is a no no. But Erik is correct, I was told it was designed that way.

I appreciate all of the input so far from users and developers alike.

Yes 6 pages, I watch a lot of stuff that I know I can't buy, it helps my education.

very interesting
dan
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Brad Green

Dan:

I will make a suggestion.... If you want to view an item on Page 4, then hold the cursor over the link to the item, hit the right mouse button and then choose "Open in New Window" or "Open in New Tab". Doing this will allow you to see the item, but your Page 4 will still be there after you're done viewing the Item.

Brad
Old 05-03-2011, 08:57 AM

yes Brad that will work, thanks. But once again, extra needless effort for the end user.

Dan
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
yes Brad that will work, thanks. But once again, extra needless effort for the end user.
Yes, but fortunately it's only one extra mouse click to get you back to the point that you would have been if the "Back" button had worked the way you wished it had....
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM

Seems like a few extra steps to me then just left clicking on the item Brad. But yes, that is a way around it.

Or the Watching pages could function like the bidding pages?

Dan
Old 05-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

Thanks for outing the REA auction, Dan.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Lol
Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Chris Wood

Default Hunt works the same way

I have experienced a similar issue while navigating within Hunt's online auction pages. It is frustrating and as a non-developer and layman I appreciate the suggestion of opening a new window. Thanks!

Last edited by baseball tourist; 05-03-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Hunt's is WAY worse, I have actually stopped looking at their auctions online because I would get so frustrated. Their website is terrible! Every time I try to go "back" after checking out the description to the lot it sends me back to their home page with the "floating icons" and I have to get back into the auction, remember what item I was on and then find that page again just to get back to where I was and then if I see another lot I want to check out I almost cringe because I know it is gonna happen all over again and after 10-20 times I just give up altogether. I know we have discussed their website before but why do they not do something about their antquated auction website/software?

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Hunt's is WAY worse, I have actually stopped looking at their auctions online because I would get so frustrated. Their website is terrible! Every time I try to go "back" after checking out the description to the lot it sends me back to their home page with the "floating icons" and I have to get back into the auction, remember what item I was on and then find that page again just to get back to where I was and then if I see another lot I want to check out I almost cringe because I know it is gonna happen all over again and after 10-20 times I just give up altogether. I know we have discussed their website before but why do they not do something about their antquated auction website/software?
The are probably too busy getting autograph signers to their close to vintage-free Philly show.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Ron Rice

Default Rea

Hi Dan,
My bid list has a way to display 100 items on 1 page. The option is in the upper right. That way, I don't have to flip any pages. Perhaps that will work for Watched items the same way.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Do it the old fashion way. Pick up the telephone & tell Rob your bids.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Yeah no doubt I will pay more thanks to Dan's big mouth now...way to go Turtle!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
You owe me a new keyboard Rob.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I don't have that problem with Hunt's...in their monthly phone/internet auctions when I look at the whole auction by 100/page it used to send me back to the top of the page even if I was clear at the bottom and I had to remember what auction number I was on when I clicked the back button, but now it takes me back to where I want to be. The only thing I don't like about Hunt's auction is when I follow one of their links from my email after being outbid I can't go anywhere on their site from the page I'm directed to from email.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Val Kehl

Hi Dan - You wouldn't have this problem with the REA Auction if you stopped watching all the Walter Johnson items!!

Seriously, I agree with you 100%!

Val