NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Default 1st time post... from CU forum... help with '09 Sporting News Inserts (M101-2)

Posted By: Josh

Hi all... I have been posting on CU forum for a while, but was referred to this board for more info regarding pre-war material. I recently picked this up, it's a 1909 Sporting News Insert. I don't know much about these. I know what the book says they are worth, but I'm not quite sure how to grade them, and if the book is even remotely accurate. Can anyone give me an idea what grade this would be considered (the lines that look like light creases are indeed very light creases, the back is blank). Additionally, in this shape, can anyone estimate how much something like this is worth?

Thanks, Josh

Old 01-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Default 1st time post... from CU forum... help with '09 Sporting News Inserts (M101-2)

Posted By: davidcycleback

Are you worried about how you should describe the condition when you are selling it, or are you wondering if the item you received was misgraded by the person you got it from? .... Big old photos and prints aren't quite the same as little cardboard trading cards. The same grading scale applies, but it's more informal. Trading card collectors treat grades like proclamations from the Pope. Vintage photo collectors treat grades as a way to describe the condition and appearance.

If you can post a big picture here and accurately describe the faults ("edge, corner wear including bottom chipping .... crease, wrinkles ...") and nice bits ("Presents well ... Great image... Hughie's quite the dude..."), you've described the condition. What else does a the potential bidder need? To be bottle fed? Marshall Fogel to kiss it?

If, after said description, you still have a great desire to assign a summary grade ("Very Good"), go for it.

I sell few trading cards, they are usually inexpensive and part of a group lot ("Assorted 1900-1980 sports ephemera and autographs, 80 items including 10 1977 Topps commons"), and when I do I usually cut the grade in about half or more when describing them so I don't have to worry about card collectors who will say "You call this VgEx!!! This is clearly Vg! This is the biggest scam since since 2 Hour Martinizing!"

I once had a large, inexpensive item that I had no intention of shipping flat in a required custum box. It would have been easier for me to throw the item in the trash than spend my afternoon in my basement cutting down and taping together cardboard for a $6 Buffy the Vampire Slayer Window Display (Don't remember what the item was, but it was something like that). In the auction I described that it had a heavy crease down the middle, not for a crease that it had but for the crease it would have after I folded it in half so I could fit it into a standard priority box.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

<<< I once had a large, inexpensive item that I had no intention of shipping flat in a required custum box. It would have been easier for me to throw the item in the trash than spend my afternoon in my basement cutting down and taping together cardboard for a $6 Buffy the Vampire Slayer Window Display (Don't remember what the item was, but it was something like that). In the auction I described that it had a heavy crease down the middle, not for a crease that it had but for the crease it would have after I folded it in half so I could fit it into a standard priority box. >>>

This is exactly why UNcreased Buffy the Vampire Slayer Window Displays are now so extremely valuable.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Administrator

This shows that I know too much about Buffy the Vampyre Slayer display advertising (I've never seen an episode and, you'll be releaved to know, I do not collect Buffy the Vampyre memorabilia) ... but that majority of Buffy store display posters were manufactured and shipped to stores folded, and easily fit this way into priority boxes. 'No extracurriculars needed,' as Hank Stram might say.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Six signatures:

"This message has been edited by davidcycleback on Jan 22, 2005 4:26 PM
This message has been edited by davidcycleback on Jan 22, 2005 4:05 PM
This message has been edited by davidcycleback on Jan 22, 2005 4:00 PM
This message has been edited by davidcycleback on Jan 22, 2005 3:49 PM
This message has been edited by davidcycleback on Jan 22, 2005 3:29 PM
This message has been edited by davidcycleback on Jan 22, 2005 3:15 PM"

That are graded EX MT.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Anyone who follows this board regularly, knows three things about me: I like Jean Shrimpton, I have a dog named Henry and I regularly edit my posts.

This ain't going to change any time soon, and this post ain't no apology.

If the board votes that I should quit offering my views on photos, memorabilia and authenticity because of those horrrendous editing lines after my posts, I will oblidge. Otherwise, me, Jean, Henry and my regular editing habbits are a package deal.

To be frank, I've never understood why someone would consider editing a post to be an offense in the first place.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

as often as you like - they are your own words and thoughts and often refinement can improve or more clearly express those thoughts. This is a great feature of the written as opposed to the spoken word. - Peter

Old 01-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

David, don't sweat it. More people should edit their posts.

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

the M101-2 Sporting News inserts are weird. I have four--and am very fond of them, because sometimes the best image of someone occurs in a SNS. The book (SCD 2005) is fairly accurate, the superstars bringing a great deal more than the stars and the commons. Most people do not collect them, because 1)they're big and 2) they're paper. But that leaves all the more for the rest of us. Here's a Ban Johnson--but, there're only TWO Ban Johnsons in the hobby, and the other is a really, really ugly Fan Craze (American League, 1906). I paid $150 for this one--not sorry.