NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 AM
John Michael

Default PSA Question.......................................

Once more I would like to call upon this knowledgable, generous group with a 1970 Kellogg's PSA graded set question. I have two cards in the set, graded PSA 8, both having two horizontal cracks running the width of the card. Could PSA have caused this damage while placing the curl-prone cards into the slab and simply shipped them back, as is?

Also, many of the slabs have cloudy, white (pressure?) marks on the faces of the slabs. Is this a telltale sign of tampering? None of my other PSA graded cards have this. I know PSA has an expensive machine for sealing slabs. I also have read the stories of slabs being opened by unethical sellers in order to replace the existing card with one of lesser value and sealing the slab back up with some very crude methods, including vises-- hence the marks?

And lastly, on the backs of eight of the PSA graded cards the background color is a very light shade of blue, with tiny white dots blended in, resembling denim. Before buying this set I've only seen the familiar solid, dark blue background. Simply a PSA variation or a sign of fraud?

Last edited by theseeker; 12-13-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 AM

I'm certainly no expert relating to the ends n outs of graded cards,especially PSA,but this is not the first time I have heard of problems with the Kelloggs cards. I personally believe those cards are just prone to eventually crack with age whether encapsulated or not,so thats one set I wont touch,graded or raw.

as far as the other marks around the plastic, sounds like the normal sealing marks,but cant be sure without seeing an example.

I'm sure some others can be of more help on this subject.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 PM

I've cracked Kelloggs cards putting them in hard holders, so I have no doubt they would crack in a slab.

I doubt however that anyone would try to remove PSA 8 1970 Kelloggs from a PSA holder and switch them, they just aren't valuable enough, I wouldn't think. PSA 8's from 1970 are all over EBAY for less than the grading fees.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
John Michael

That makes perfect sense. Thanks to both of you. But, what about the light blue colored PSA back. Anybody know the origins of this variation.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:47 AM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Most Kelloggs cards are curled. When they are slabbed, they are obviously flattened out. Eventually many of them will crack.

I have subbed many of them to PSA and even a small crack knocks it down to a 6. Also have had quite a few that came back 9 or 10 that eventually cracked after slabbing.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:16 AM
John Michael

OK, OK I get the concept. Very prone to curling and eventual cracking. But, I really have a fondness for these cards, the only sustained '70's Topps alternative.

Beyond that, I've already invested in every Kellogg's set 1970 thru 1975. The '71 and '75 didn't come cheap. So please, any suggestions on the best methods of storage. What holder is best? Any ideal temperature? Is temperature fluxuation from summer to winter an issue? ect. Thanks

Last edited by theseeker; 12-17-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:58 PM

I've got some Kelloggs sets in 9 pocket plastic pages in binders, they don't seem to crack in there.

They do curl up some, but that probably keeps them from cracking.

I've also got some in hard top loaders that have never cracked after years
in a top loader.

And as stated earlier I've cracked them putting them in top loaders.

Frankly, I like them best in pages in albums.

As for the 75's, it seems to me that they are overly succeptible to cracking, much more so than any other set.

Last edited by David W; 12-17-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Change
Old 12-18-2010, 07:07 AM
John Michael

Sorry to hear about the '75's, the second scarcest of the K. issues, with the 3rd not even coming close. I have a NR-MT set, so I will give your suggestions a try. Thanks again.