NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-25-2017, 12:00 PM
George

Default 1972 Topps In Action: Mets & Dietz-a-palooza

The big, audacious 1972 Topps set featured 72 "In Action" cards, which were my favorites as a 7- and 8-year-old kid when the set came out. I particularly remember coveting the Vida Blue In Action card, which showed him gazing skyward at a pop-up. Roberto Clemente was my favorite player and I remember being disappointed at his In Action card, which shows him apparently reacting to a called strike. Now I think it's a pretty cool picture of Clemente.

I completed the 787-card set more than 30 years ago and while I often look at the cards, I've never separated out all the In Action cards and looked at them by themselves until the other day. A couple things jumped out at me:

-- There are 11 New York Mets featured. Seems excessive.

-- There are zero Baltimore Orioles even though the Os were coming off three AL championships and were loaded with stars.

-- At least 28 of the In Action photos were taken at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

-- Giants catcher Dick Dietz appears in at least five In Action cards -- his own, Clarence Gaston, Pete Rose, Ron Santo and Ollie Brown. And Dietz is most likely the catcher in the Joe Pepitone and Billy Williams In Action cards as well. (The Giants catcher in the Clemente card is Russ Gibson.)

-- Somebody at Topps had a thing for mediocre catchers. Tom Haller, Pat Corrales, Curt Blefary and Ed Kirkpatrick were not even starters but were featured on In Action cards.

I'd love to read anyone else's thoughts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg action 72.jpg (81.5 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg Dietz.jpg (82.4 KB, 223 views)
Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosluggo View Post
The big, audacious 1972 Topps set featured 72 "In Action" cards, which were my favorites as a 7- and 8-year-old kid when the set came out. I particularly remember coveting the Vida Blue In Action card, which showed him gazing skyward at a pop-up. Roberto Clemente was my favorite player and I remember being disappointed at his In Action card, which shows him apparently reacting to a called strike. Now I think it's a pretty cool picture of Clemente.

I completed the 787-card set more than 30 years ago and while I often look at the cards, I've never separated out all the In Action cards and looked at them by themselves until the other day. A couple things jumped out at me:

-- There are 11 New York Mets featured. Seems excessive.

-- There are zero Baltimore Orioles even though the Os were coming off three AL championships and were loaded with stars.

-- At least 28 of the In Action photos were taken at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

-- Giants catcher Dick Dietz appears in at least five In Action cards -- his own, Clarence Gaston, Pete Rose, Ron Santo and Ollie Brown. And Dietz is most likely the catcher in the Joe Pepitone and Billy Williams In Action cards as well. (The Giants catcher in the Clemente card is Russ Gibson.)

-- Somebody at Topps had a thing for mediocre catchers. Tom Haller, Pat Corrales, Curt Blefary and Ed Kirkpatrick were not even starters but were featured on In Action cards.

I'd love to read anyone else's thoughts...
I still look at that and wonder what they were thinking? It is a great shot, especially now, but it certainly isn't an action shot, imo.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

That 'Dietz phenomenon' is hysterical. Great catch (pun intended)!!!

***Self-promotion Alert***
Check out this thread I did a while back. It includes 1972 'In Action' shots of almost all of the ignored HOF'ers (save a few managers) and a few other things…
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219771

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Curt

I wonder if this set had anything to do with the explosion of action cards thereafter. Maybe Topps noticed an increased interest? 1971 had a fair amount before it, but they really seemed to take off in 73-74. I am glad either way. Despite some of the cards being hard to tell who the player was, I enjoy the action shots better than boring poses and close up portraits.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

We know what Billy would think...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-25-2017, 08:49 PM

My favorite is SF Giants pitcher Ron Bryant, who's in action card is him trying to lay down a bunt...not a cool pitching photo...but a bunt.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:44 PM

Oh, and what about the Darrell Evans In Action card? I don't know...something awkward about that shot...he looks like a dolphin jumping out of the water...

Old 02-26-2017, 05:03 AM
George

[QUOTE=Robs70sCards;1635454]Oh, and what about the Darrell Evans In Action card? I don't know...something awkward about that shot...he looks like a dolphin jumping out of the water...

I've been baffled by the Darrell Evans card since I was a kid. He's jumping up like he's trying to snare a line drive, but he's looking up like he's waiting for a pop up.

Last edited by geosluggo; 02-26-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:09 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
That 'Dietz phenomenon' is hysterical. Great catch (pun intended)!!!

***Self-promotion Alert***
Check out this thread I did a while back. It includes 1972 'In Action' shots of almost all of the ignored HOF'ers (save a few managers) and a few other things…
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219771
Cool thread on '72 should-have-been IA cards.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

We covered Mr. Evans before, too:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180407

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=geosluggo;1635474]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs70sCards View Post
Oh, and what about the Darrell Evans In Action card? I don't know...something awkward about that shot...he looks like a dolphin jumping out of the water...

I've been baffled by the Darrell Evans card since I was a kid. He's jumping up like he's trying to snare a line drive, but he's looking up like he's waiting for a pop up.
Exactly! If it's above his head you think he would be fully extended in an attempt to snag it. If the ball is still in the infield you would this his head would be more forward. Maybe it's that instance where the ball is way over his head but he's making a leap as a reflex, but know he has no chance? Bizarre use of an action photo either way.

I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one who has put some thought into this card lol
Old 02-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs70sCards View Post

Yet another 'fringe' sport that was never approved for the Olympics:

Synchronized Infielding.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-28-2017, 06:48 AM
Mark

This was the one that always got to me.

Is he ordering a Coke from a vendor?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:26 AM

As a Detroit Tiger fan, I was very disappointed in the Tiger player selection for the in action cards. The Tigers were world series champs a mere four years earlier and one of 4 teams in the playoffs in 1972, and still had almost all of their 1968 stars on the team, yet there were only 2 Tiger in action cards - the manager and the backup catcher. The Billy Martin card was fun, but the Tom Haller card was inconsequential. Where were Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Willie Horton, Dick McAuliffe, Mickey Lolich, Jim Northrup, and Bill Freehan? An in action card of portly pinch hitting star Gates Brown delivering a line drive would have been great.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I feel your pain, but as a Mets fan I was in heaven. It seems every single player on the team got an 'In Action' shot. I'm surprised there wasn't an 'In Action' card of Ken Boswell's neighbor going to the mailbox included in the set. That's how over the top the Mets inclusion was.

Casey Stengel

Old 03-05-2017, 05:42 PM

I don't think the ball was hit over Evans into left field, not a single person in the crowd is looking in that direction. They are all looking toward the first base grandstand area. I am going to guess that Evans misread the ball off of the bat of a Mets right handed hitter and instinctively leaped when he thought it was coming his way, but it was actually a foul pop that went off into the right field line seats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600de.jpg (78.2 KB, 89 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 07:31 PM
D.an Jackso.n

This Evans card is one of the Great In Action mysteries. Not sure if I'm buying the foul pop to the right side, Cliff. Maybe a bizarre reaction by Evans on his own throwing error to first?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM

I find the In Action cards to be fascinating, a big part of that sets appeal. Why not just have every team in there?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:44 PM

Default 1972 Topps

My favorite set ever.
I posted about this before.
Out of 72 IA cards 6 teams had none.
Baltimore with the Robinsons,Powell, Palmer, McNally Etc a true powerhouse
St. Louis with Torre(MVP) Brock, Gibson
Cleveland,Texas,Milwaukee and Houston
While the Mets had 11 cards,Giants 10 and the Padres,A's,Yanks,Pirates and Reds had 5 each. The Padres with 5?
even the Dodgers and Angels only had 3 between the 2 of them.
As a Mets fan I was happy but the breakdown is totally scewed in favor of the Giants and Mets.
I am glad that George Mitterwald and Steve Renko were picked! I almost forgot about Paul Schaal.