NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default Research Question for Cards: George Gibson - Pit NL

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

I'm doing some research right now. I have looked through sabr and not found any specific information (although it doesn't mean it isn't there). Does anyone know when Gibson was HIRED as Manager of the Pirates. I need a specific date or a specific range [as in b/w march & jun of 1920, not sometime in 1920] Thanks and any help is appreciated, i'm sure i'll have some more questions.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 12-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Not the 1920 hire date, but 2nd stint as manager?.

September 3, 1925: After a recent incident on a train, when Cubs manager Maranville anointed various passengers from a spittoon, Chicago relieves the Rabbit of the burdens of managership. Chicago hastily appoints George Gibson, former skipper of the Pirates, as manager for the remainder of the season. The Cubs were 23–30 under Maranville, and Chicago will cut the last tie when they waive the veteran in November.

Joe

Old 12-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Zimmerman

well, he managed the entire season with the pirates. so he definitely was hired before the season began. he spent 1919 in toronto managing a team there, so he was probably hired in the winter of 1919-1920. sorry i cant be more specific. but the range would be nov 1, 1919- april 1, 1920. every citing of the hiring says 1920, so one would think that means he was hired between jan 1, 1920 and april 1, 1920. but, if i find more, i will post.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Administrator

That maple leafs team has acutally been named a top 100 team on the Minor League All-Time List. Gibson was replaced by Hugh Duffy. I'm trying to figure out a close range as i believe it will help prove a date for production of a particular set.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

email me

Old 12-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Black Sox, further proof I have no life, I spent an hour trying to get you an answer on the net and through a couple phone calls and came up with nada on your behalf. Sorry pal. This is going to be tough. How about calling the Hall? They have helped me in the past with my projects. Good Luck on your venture!

DJ

Old 12-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Administrator

DJ -
You rule man, I really appreciate it! I wish i knew someone who was alive back then. Not so much for just this question..but to find out if the move was undoubtedly announced/done after the 1919 season was complete. I would be surprised if Gibson did anything before the end of the season, but regardless, you just never know. Too bad baseball-reference doesn't make notes for transactions on managers.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

email me